2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

On 1/28/2023 at 10:35 AM, JohnC said:

I'm not sure that he wouldn't want to come back. He felt stuck in the losing culture here. He got tired of it, like a number of other players. His sentiments are understandable. Then he signs with Chicago that is now undergoing a major rebuild. I would think that he would be energized coming back to a team that is on the rise. When he left there were no negative comments or whispers about him. It was just time for a change. Putting aside this particular player, it would be beneficial to get a similar type of rugged player added to the roster. Pairing Lyubuskin with a McCabe type of player would be a good addition to the blue line unit. 

I’d bring back McCabe in a minute.  Swap him in for Bryson, add more veteran experience and physical play. 

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

What might a trade for Vladislav Gavrikov cost?  I know he would likely be a rental, but I wouldn't think his trade value would be anywhere near Chychrun.  

I know what I'll say sounds crazy, but he's a solid defensive d-man on a bad team. CBJ will look at the absurd Chiarot deal last year and start the asking price at a 1st. Some playoff-bound team (Florida last year had the President's Trophy and was happy to go all-in with a late 1st) could do it. The Sabres would likely have to give up their highest 2nd and a mid prospect.

11 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I know what I'll say sounds crazy, but he's a solid defensive d-man on a bad team. CBJ will look at the absurd Chiarot deal last year and start the asking price at a 1st. Some playoff-bound team (Florida last year had the President's Trophy and was happy to go all-in with a late 1st) could do it. The Sabres would likely have to give up their highest 2nd and a mid prospect.

I like his game and would definitely be an upgrade to Bryson and Clague.  If it’s a 2nd rounder and a prospect, I’d take it.  Man, we are so close and would take a solid d-man over a forward for a potential playoff push.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, tom webster said:

2) As good as Quinn and JJP have played, they demonstrate how most prospects are not ready to be main pieces on a cup contender. Therefore, any prospect that won’t be able to make an immediate impact is just a chip that may be used to acquire something that will have an immediate impact.

I think we need to have realistic expectations about how we define “cup contender”. We are not a cup contender right now. We may be in a playoff race, but we’re highly unlikely to make any waves beyond that. Are we a cup contender next year, maybe. But, maybe not. I expect playoffs though. I do think we’ll truly be a cup contender by the year after. Quinn and JJP should be well-improved by then. If they have not improved by 2 years, then I agree they need to be replaced. But they shouldn’t be used as chips right now for an unrealistic cup run. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I think we need to have realistic expectations about how we define “cup contender”. We are not a cup contender right now. We may be in a playoff race, but we’re highly unlikely to make any waves beyond that. Are we a cup contender next year, maybe. But, maybe not. I expect playoffs though. I do think we’ll truly be a cup contender by the year after. Quinn and JJP should be well-improved by then. If they have not improved by 2 years, then I agree they need to be replaced. But they shouldn’t be used as chips right now for an unrealistic cup run. 

You are not the first who thought I was labeling them a “Cup contender “ this year. I was talking about going forward, and how there wouldn’t be room for “on the job training “ going forward.

I don’t want to see a bad move for a rental BUT this is the first time in 11 years that the Sabres are looking a playoff spot in the face after the new year. 

I would like a smart trade made that not only helps the team but shows the players and the fans that the organization is serious. It doesn’t need to be Chychrun or Meier per say, but a player that could come in and be a part of the present and future runs.

• Agree 1

The more I think about it the more I want GMKA to go out and replace Byrson with a defensive-defenseman. This team doesn't need an injection of offensive talent, they need to work on stopping pucks from entering their net and that starts with Byrson. 

I know it doesn't tell the whole story, but look at the +/- on this team sorted by the worst offenders:

Bryson sticks out like a sore thumb at -16. The next two players are VO & Casey who have completely turned their game around since the Jost pickup. 4 of the top 10 other players aren't even on the team anymore. I don't understand how Lybushkin is a +1 being paired with Byrson (he's played 5 few games). 

image.thumb.png.91f4cb959d5fac701c8acb6bb6cc26f3.png

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/index.html

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The more I think about it the more I want GMKA to go out and replace Byrson with a defensive-defenseman. This team doesn't need an injection of offensive talent, they need to work on stopping pucks from entering their net and that starts with Byrson. 

I know it doesn't tell the whole story, but look at the +/- on this team sorted by the worst offenders:

Bryson sticks out like a sore thumb at -16. The next two players are VO & Casey who have completely turned their game around since the Jost pickup. 4 of the top 10 other players aren't even on the team anymore. I don't understand how Lybushkin is a +1 being paired with Byrson (he's played 5 few games). 

image.thumb.png.91f4cb959d5fac701c8acb6bb6cc26f3.png

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/index.html

Total sidebar—It is kind of funny to me that goalies can earn points, but aren’t scored for +/-

Andy and Comrie both have an assist this year but they’re considered even. 

4 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Total sidebar—It is kind of funny to me that goalies can earn points, but aren’t scored for +/-

Andy and Comrie both have an assist this year but they’re considered even. 

It's weird that they show a zero instead of a "-" or "n/a" - that feels misleading.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

You are not the first who thought I was labeling them a “Cup contender “ this year. I was talking about going forward, and how there wouldn’t be room for “on the job training “ going forward.

Part of the reason there was OJT at the NHL level is the Sabres really had nothing at the NHL level.  They'd prematurely brought players up without finishing their development.  If you look at the forwards in Rochester, because they will need to play their way onto the roster they will likely be more fully developed and will just need to adjust to full NHL speed.

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't understand how Lybushkin is a +1 being paired with Byrson (he's played 5 few games). 

That's when Boosh was injured and/or playing higher up the lineup when others were injured.  That makes Bryson's +/- all the more damning.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's when Boosh was injured and/or playing higher up the lineup when others were injured.  That makes Bryson's +/- all the more damning.

The bulk of Bryson’s minuses were compiled during November when he was being asked to cover for Boosh, Mule and Jokiharju being injured.

He was -11 in the 15 games he was playing 20+ minutes a night against top players, -5 the rest of the season.

Because of injury, Bryson/Lyubushkin have only really been a thing for an extended run recently. In January, when they’ve regularly been the 3rd pair, Bryson is -1, Boosh +1.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The bulk of Bryson’s minuses were compiled during November when he was being asked to cover for Boosh, Mule and Jokiharju being injured.

He was -11 in the 15 games he was playing 20+ minutes a night against top players, -5 the rest of the season.

Because of injury, Bryson/Lyubushkin have only really been a thing for an extended run recently. In January, when they’ve regularly been the 3rd pair, Bryson is -1, Boosh +1.

You make a strong argument that when Bryson is playing his lower pairing role, he does it reasonably well. When he is asked to play a higher role, his analytics take a tumble. There are players on this team that many people have a locked in negative narrative that is tough to shake. (With team success some of the narratives are softening.) Mitts, Olofsson and UPL are/were players whose critical narratives didn't match their actual play. What's changing now is that this team has accumulated and groomed enough talent where players are being more properly slotted. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Does anyone live in the Detroit region or follow the Red Wings a bit?

I am wondering about asking for Tyler Bertuzzi as a UFA rental? He was a belligerent 30 goal scorer last year. This year, diddly poo. 

How about one of our three second rounders and a B-level prospect for some heavy Bert into our lineup for a playoff run? Gimme the Granato magic on this guy and it might help the Sabres a lot for the rest of this year. 

14 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Does anyone live in the Detroit region or follow the Red Wings a bit?

I am wondering about asking for Tyler Bertuzzi as a UFA rental? He was a belligerent 30 goal scorer last year. This year, diddly poo. 

How about one of our three second rounders and a B-level prospect for some heavy Bert into our lineup for a playoff run? Gimme the Granato magic on this guy and it might help the Sabres a lot for the rest of this year. 

He has played 17 games, he has been hurt and still is hurt.   Without knowing the extent of the injury he may not be worth renting.  

Next, who's place does he take?  Who would he be better than right now? 

Pass

Edited by Pimlach

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He has played 17 games, he has been hurt and still is hurt.   Without knowing the extent of the injury he may not be worth renting.  

Next, who's place does he take?  Who would he be better than right now? 

Pass

He’s had two 20 goal seasons and one 30 goal season, so he can take Mitts spot for me. 

And he’s good insurance for a top six injury. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t know if this has been posted. It was recorded a little while ago (Dreger says Sabres are 6 points out of a wildcard spot). No bombshells but a really good listen about Adam’s mindset and such.

Probably was recorded on the 16th.  Pretty sure they said the Sabrs had played 43 games.

Thanks for posting.  Good listen.

23 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t know if this has been posted. It was recorded a little while ago (Dreger says Sabres are 6 points out of a wildcard spot). No bombshells but a really good listen about Adam’s mindset and such.

Devin Levi has a FORTY INCH waist.  That is crazy large for a 6' tall athlete.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.