2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Apparently Craig Button mentions Sabres could be a good spot for Karlsson on a TSN piece today. I can't get the video to play though....

No.  It's nice that Karlsson's agent is pitching ideas to media personalities, though.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Holy cow Craig…have you even looked at his contract status?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/erik-karlsson

4 more years at 11.5.  Didn't realize he's only 32.  RHD and we could fit him under our cap.  His salary would be going away when we start paying some of the youngsters.  Still.....I'd be shocked

1 hour ago, CTJoe said:

4 more years at 11.5.  Didn't realize he's only 32.  RHD and we could fit him under our cap.  His salary would be going away when we start paying some of the youngsters.  Still.....I'd be shocked

We need to start paying the youngsters whom we do NOT want to bridge this off-season.  We need to pay Cozens this coming year, which I am putting at 8x$8M, and both Dahlin and Power after next year for probably 8x$11M and 8x$8M.

Also, Karlsson seems redundant with Dahlin and Power in the fold.  I would rather get Ekholm from Nashville if he is really available.

Edited by Marvin
Grammar.
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

Apparently Craig Button mentions Sabres could be a good spot for Karlsson on a TSN piece today. I can't get the video to play though....

If Vegas wants to eat half his contact and give us something sure, I'll think about it. Otherwise why is it a good spot? Because we are almost the only place that could? 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:56 PM, Eleven said:

FWIW I haven't seen a single Chicago message board discussing a potential McCabe trade.  Just @Brawndo's tweet from the Meier thread.

Friedman, LeBrun and Marek have discussed McCabe being available on numerous occasions. The asking price of a 2nd and B Prospect with no salary retention or a 1st with salary retention was mentioned by Friedman on Sportsnet a few days ago

On 1/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

Jake and his wife were residents of Chicago as far back as 2016 and perhaps earlier. It is why they chose the Hawks in the first place. He’s not leaving.

And if he is, he’s not coming to a team like this. He would go to a team like the Avs or Rangers as an over the top acquisition.  

—edit to add he has a modified NMC and I can almost guarantee Buffalo is on it. 

He wants a chance to play in the playoffs, he is not getting that in Chicago. His modified NTC has seven teams on it, rumored to be six of the seven Canadian Teams as He already said no to Edmonton.  Toronto may or may not be on it as well. 

The Sabres have the assets and long term cap space to take on a contract such as McCabe's. He is still close with many of the players on the team and He would be a fit. 

Does it happen, probably not. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman, LeBrun and Marek have discussed McCabe being available on numerous occasions. The asking price of a 2nd and B Prospect with no salary retention or a 1st with salary retention was mentioned by Friedman on Sportsnet a few days ago

Frankly, I'm now starting to think about the first and salary retention.  McCabe at $2m for a few years, for a top-whatever protected first makes a lot of sense for this team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Frankly, I'm now starting to think about the first and salary retention.  McCabe at $2m for a few years, for a top-whatever protected first makes a lot of sense for this team.  

I don’t think anyone is giving up a #1 for McCabe, and I definitely don’t want the Sabres to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So EK65 at 50% retained and Meier to Buffalo for Asplund and Portillo😜😛

Spoiler Alert: This is a joke, I know this isn’t a real legit offer. Calm down😀

I'd push that angle if I'm KA. 

Meier and Karlsson for... a package

Maybe the Sharks are desperate to shed salary and the Sabres get a deal? 

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Instead of trading our assets, what is the value of our cap space? What can KA get for helping a team make a deal?

I’d wayyy rather keep the cap space asset to pay the guys we’ll need to pay and use draft pick capital. Cap space dries up quicker.

you get a new set of 7 picks every year for free. 

Edit - if it’s just a one year thing I think I’m with you actually considering it’s going to expire at the end of the season anyways. 

Edited by Thorny

Because our roster is so successful but also so young ie won’t need immediate replacement, order of priority: 

1 on ice talent 

2 cap space 

3 prospects 

4 draft picks 

This is all so exciting. Our set up is very good right now. The way you wanna be. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, Two or less said:

Fwiw, i've seen McCabe mentioned several times with Toronto.

Yeah but I've only seen that from people associated w/ the Leaves.  Brawndo mentions some sources above though.

Edited by Eleven

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t think anyone is giving up a #1 for McCabe, and I definitely don’t want the Sabres to do so. 

I would give up a second, or maybe two of them, for him if he was open to coming back. He would be a good partner for Lyubushkin or when needed on the second pair. That would make more sense than pursuing a high asset cost player like Chychrun. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.