GDT - Sabres @ Jets - January 26, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and TSN3

Thorny

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Nice GDT start.  Most all of my Canadian friends mock Winnipeg as very cold and kind of boring.  They don’t think much of Buffalo either.  Good to hear another perspective.

Would love to get out of there with another 2 points.  

Is Comrie playing tonight?  

Confirmed... Comrie gets the nod.

Setting him up to fail perhaps?

Edited by pi2000

35 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Confirmed... Comrie gets the nod.

Setting him up to fail perhaps?

Why do you think that?   That is just not what Granato is all about.   Comrie gets the start to play against his former team, hopefully setting him up to play a strong game (see Tage in St Louis on Tuesday).  

I want to see Comrie play well and push UPL,  it benefits the team.  Plus he is going to be around next year so hopefully he finds another level and can be a 1B, not a 2.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Norcal said:

So Comrie in net begs a question.

Do his former teammates know him better than he knows them? 

I wonder what the stats say about this kind of matchup? 

Interesting.  They know him, he knows them. 

Knowing the opponent is an advantage but it doesn't replace execution.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Buffalo Sabres: 25-19-3 (14-7-1 on road)

Winnipeg Jets: 31-17-1 (17-6 at home)

SPOTLIGHT: Rasmus Dahlin (53) and Josh Morrissey (51) enter into the game 2nd and 3rd in d-man points respectively. Battle of the Norris contenders.

YOUR Buffalo Sabres visit beautiful Winnipeg to do battle with the Jets. The Sabres sit a mere 3 points back of Washington for the final playoff spot in the East, but with 3 games in hand. We control our own destiny, now, and every week we’re still in the thick of a playoff race is another week longer than we’ve been in years. In the words of Otto Octavius: “Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts.“ 

2nd in the West, the arrival of new coach Rick Bowness has somewhat unexpectedly found a way to create lift for these Jets. Backstopped by a Connor Hellebuyck once again returned to Vezina form, the Jets are a tough out on any given night. Particularly at home, where they have only dropped a minuscule total of 6 games all season long. They have a very good home record.

But we have a Tage. 

Get to their net early, get to their net often. If not, I may be subjected in arena to a chorus of “BEST TRADE EVER!” chants, the fact no component of that deal is anymore relevant to either team a minor detail to the fans of Winnipeg. The Winnipeg way. 

• Sabres dropped a 4-2 decision in Buffalo to the Jets on January 12, tonight completes the season series. 

- - - 

I saw Reinhart score his first career hat trick in this barn, Pat LaFontaine signed a hockey card for a star-struck kid me, during warmups, in the old barn here, and in my oldest memory from watching the Sabres live, the Jets beat Hasek on a 4 on 3 PP to lock up a win here and start off a decades long period where I never saw the Sabres quite able get it done, for even a single win live. 

But that’s all changed. It’s been changed for a while, actually. Hey, let’s have a good effort tonight. As always, go Sabres.

Already made my selection for this one, I’m ready for us to rough these fly boys up and send ‘em back to Top Gun:

E54A54BF-6294-4CF5-AC39-505D0870E998.thumb.jpeg.8f086241ac9800c71cc81a9348ba1c93.jpeg22104A33-404E-4F6D-BF67-C5D131949156.thumb.jpeg.8403a6a62770c5e1f8fd9096461816bb.jpeg

When they start chanting "best trade ever" just respond with "Haw-er-chuk, Haw-er-chuk, Haw-er-chuk."  And keep your head on a swivel.  😉

They're right.  Buffalo - Winnipeg had one of THE best trades ever.

• Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Norcal said:

So Comrie in net begs a question.

Do his former teammates know him better than he knows them? 

I wonder what the stats say about this kind of matchup? 

Starting guys in their home town.  Against their former teams.  I feel like these kind of things are pretty common.  I know they made sure Comrie got the start in his hometown of Edmonton earlier this year.  If the team ever happens to be playing on a night where stone tablets and chisels are given away, you just know Anderson is getting that start.

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

Don't know much about Winnipeg, other than looking at its metro area it's around the same population as Monroe County NY (Rochester proper), so I could see it being kinda boring and generic or kinda cool depending on the culture. Erie county is around 1M, Winnipeg is around 800k.

Maybe a bit of both. But the culture has gotten more interesting/grown on me over the years, for sure. Lots of cool music/film/art festivals dominate the summer frame and the pub scene is honestly very good. Too hip for me nowadays even. 

The days of the long dearth of frigid winter have gone the way of myth, here. The average daily temperature of the December we just got through was -9 Celsius (15.8 Fahrenheit). Looks like it’s -2 Celsius in Buffalo right now. It’s really not THAT cold. July in Buffalo and Winnipeg both average 79 degrees Fahrenheit. I think both cities get great summers.  I bet they are pretty akin, honestly, as cities. 

42 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When they start chanting "best trade ever" just respond with "Haw-er-chuk, Haw-er-chuk, Haw-er-chuk."  And keep your head on a swivel.  😉

They're right.  Buffalo - Winnipeg had one of THE best trades ever.

Actually a ton of great history between the teams re: common players 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No bowl of Cheerios is safe, huh?

I chuckled, but have no idea what you mean by that.   

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Starting guys in their home town.  Against their former teams.  I feel like these kind of things are pretty common.  I know they made sure Comrie got the start in his hometown of Edmonton earlier this year.  If the team ever happens to be playing on a night where stone tablets and chisels are given away, you just know Anderson is getting that start.

OK, I'll allow it.

Comrie should be plenty motivated and knows their shooters... on the flip side, the shooters also know Comrie and will certainly try to exploit his weaknesses.    

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

YOUR Buffalo Sabres visit beautiful Winnipeg to do battle with the Jets. The Sabres sit a mere 3 points back of Washington for the final playoff spot in the East, but with 3 games in hand. We control our own destiny, now, and every week we’re still in the thick of a playoff race is another week longer than we’ve been in years. In the words of Otto Octavius: “Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts.“ 

Ha ha, WE.

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

Buffalo Sabres: 25-19-3 (14-7-1 on road)

Winnipeg Jets: 31-17-1 (17-6 at home)

SPOTLIGHT: Rasmus Dahlin (53) and Josh Morrissey (51) enter into the game 2nd and 3rd in d-man points respectively. Battle of the Norris contenders.

2nd in the West, the arrival of new coach Rick Bowness has somewhat unexpectedly found a way to create lift for these Jets. Backstopped by a Connor Hellebuyck once again returned to Vezina form, the Jets are a tough out on any given night. Particularly at home, where they have only dropped a minuscule total of 6 games all season long. They have a very good home record.

But we have a Tage. 

Get to their net early, get to their net often. If not, I may be subjected in arena to a chorus of “BEST TRADE EVER!” chants, the fact no component of that deal is anymore relevant to either team a minor detail to the fans of Winnipeg. The Winnipeg way. 

• Sabres dropped a 4-2 decision in Buffalo to the Jets on January 12, tonight completes the season series. 

- - - 

I saw Reinhart score his first career hat trick in this barn, Pat LaFontaine signed a hockey card for a star-struck kid me, during warmups, in the old barn here, and in my oldest memory from watching the Sabres live, the Jets beat Hasek on a 4 on 3 PP to lock up a win here and start off a decades long period where I never saw the Sabres quite able get it done, for even a single win live. 

But that’s all changed. It’s been changed for a while, actually. Hey, let’s have a good effort tonight. As always, go Sabres.

Already made my selection for this one, I’m ready for us to rough these fly boys up and send ‘em back to Top Gun:

E54A54BF-6294-4CF5-AC39-505D0870E998.thumb.jpeg.8f086241ac9800c71cc81a9348ba1c93.jpeg22104A33-404E-4F6D-BF67-C5D131949156.thumb.jpeg.8403a6a62770c5e1f8fd9096461816bb.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They took Keith Tkachuk with the pick we sent them. 

Pretty sure we swapped firsts and you guys got the higher pick...still the worst trade in Jets' history. Mike Smith should be hung up by his balls and shot with his own shyte.

We have great summers here and world class hunting/fishing is not far away at all. I hate the winters and can hardly wait to retire so I can leave for 4 months of the year.

We stole 2 points the last time we met. I'd like to see us win this one 1-0 in a shootout.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.