GDT - Sabres @ Jets - January 26, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and TSN3

Thorny

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm not sure who said it, Dan or Rob (I think it was Rob), but he said ,"It's not about hits, it's about playing heavy in the corners."

I may be paraphrasing, there, It's my birthday and I'm really drunk.

But the Sabres played a heavy game tonight. Maybe the heaviest Ive seen in a while. It was awesome. 

I wish they played that heavy against teams in the east.

Happy Birthday! 

Solid all around.  

One of the best road games they have played in along time.  

Every Sabre played well.  They out-skated the Jets for nearly the entire game.  I think Joki is vastly improved.  Only criticism I have is that Skinner should have shot that puck into the open net to salt the game away.  

Power is now finding his O game.  Donnie said he concentrated on his D positioning in camp and early this season that it’s become second nature to him now allowing him to go back on offense.  Morrissey is a real good player, but he isn’t close to as dominate as either Dahlin or Power.  

3-0-0 on this road trip.  I doubt anyone wants to play us anymore.  Just Wow!

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm not sure who said it, Dan or Rob (I think it was Rob), but he said ,"It's not about hits, it's about playing heavy in the corners."

I may be paraphrasing, there, It's my birthday and I'm really drunk.

But the Sabres played a heavy game tonight. Maybe the heaviest Ive seen in a while. It was awesome. 

I wish they played that heavy against teams in the east.

0CE7C9CB-7373-4250-9BFC-E9E3D98FA466.thumb.jpeg.57e15fa445809cdd4562e0fa03e786ff.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDaddy said:

This is what a rebuild looks like if you actually stay the course and don’t rush it. 

Having good players helps.  

We have a coach that is smart, fair, teaches, and provides players with real opportunities to reach their best  

They are starting to have faith in themselves and their teammates.  

We have a group that works hard, is serious about improving, and that plays for each other. Lots of internal leadership emerging.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Matches my eye test, those 2 were so good . One after the other all game. Power Dahlin 

Lots of things to like about this game, but this should mean we are going to be relevant for a long, long time.

I think we are watching the two best defencemen in franchise history, and they might be playing together for a decade.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Lots of things to like about this game, but this should mean we are going to be relevant for a long, long time.

I think we are watching the two best defencemen in franchise history, and they might be playing together for a decade.

Yup.  Dahlin and Power with good partners and you can pretty much control the play for over 40 minutes a game.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh 100%. And “hope” need not apply, either: there’s no “QB” in hockey but these guys actively “QB” the 5 man unit when out there - because it’s (Soon to be) 2 pillars who occupy, combined, the majority of the 60 mins, (QB doesn’t play 60, either), I’d say between the 2 of them we have tantamount to a Franchise quarterback - we should be “in it” every year barring complete ineptitude / bad luck 

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yup.  Dahlin and Power with good partners and you can pretty much control the play for over 40 minutes a game.  

^

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Oh 100%. And “hope” need not apply, either: there’s no “QB” in hockey but these guys actively “QB” the 5 man unit when out there - because it’s (Soon to be) 2 pillars who occupy, combined, the majority of the 60 mins, (QB doesn’t play 60, either), I’d say between the 2 of them we have tantamount to a Franchise quarterback - we should be “in it” every year barring complete ineptitude / bad luck 

^

This is why I like the Concept of McCabe.

• Like (+1) 2

Aside from the last 3 minutes, this was one of the more dominant games from start to start.  I loved their bulldog mentality on the puck.  Sucks that Samuelsson was dinged up.  I think Clague is a very serviceable defensemen.  The Thompson goal was filthy, and you can just see Power starting to gain confidence.  So much fun!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Aside from the last 3 minutes, this was one of the more dominant games from start to start.  I loved their bulldog mentality on the puck.  Sucks that Samuelsson was dinged up.  I think Clague is a very serviceable defensemen.  The Thompson goal was filthy, and you can just see Power starting to gain confidence.  So much fun!

Welcome back!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just finished watching the game.  I just couldn't help but notice Krebs all game long.  He was pumped, made a lot of good plays, skated like a maniac and instigated physical play.  None of that shows up on the score sheet but yikes, he's become a very good player.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Crazy how good they are and so young. Hopefully KA will sign Jost to a new contract soon (he is UFA this summer I believe) he's good and still young and fits so well

I think Jost will be happy to stay at 1.5 mill, he was a waiver pick up.    He basically got a 2nd chance with us should give us some loyalty both ways 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.