GDT - Sabres @ Jets - January 26, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and TSN3

Thorny

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Buffalo Sabres: 25-19-3 (14-7-1 on road)

Winnipeg Jets: 31-17-1 (17-6 at home)

SPOTLIGHT: Rasmus Dahlin (53) and Josh Morrissey (51) enter into the game 2nd and 3rd in d-man points respectively. Battle of the Norris contenders.

YOUR Buffalo Sabres visit beautiful Winnipeg to do battle with the Jets. The Sabres sit a mere 3 points back of Washington for the final playoff spot in the East, but with 3 games in hand. We control our own destiny, now, and every week we’re still in the thick of a playoff race is another week longer than we’ve been in years. In the words of Otto Octavius: “Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts.“ 

2nd in the West, the arrival of new coach Rick Bowness has somewhat unexpectedly found a way to create lift for these Jets. Backstopped by a Connor Hellebuyck once again returned to Vezina form, the Jets are a tough out on any given night. Particularly at home, where they have only dropped a minuscule total of 6 games all season long. They have a very good home record.

But we have a Tage. 

Get to their net early, get to their net often. If not, I may be subjected in arena to a chorus of “BEST TRADE EVER!” chants, the fact no component of that deal is anymore relevant to either team a minor detail to the fans of Winnipeg. The Winnipeg way. 

• Sabres dropped a 4-2 decision in Buffalo to the Jets on January 12, tonight completes the season series. 

- - - 

I saw Reinhart score his first career hat trick in this barn, Pat LaFontaine signed a hockey card for a star-struck kid me, during warmups, in the old barn here, and in my oldest memory from watching the Sabres live, the Jets beat Hasek on a 4 on 3 PP to lock up a win here and start off a decades long period where I never saw the Sabres quite able get it done, for even a single win live. 

But that’s all changed. It’s been changed for a while, actually. Hey, let’s have a good effort tonight. As always, go Sabres.

Already made my selection for this one, I’m ready for us to rough these fly boys up and send ‘em back to Top Gun:

E54A54BF-6294-4CF5-AC39-505D0870E998.thumb.jpeg.8f086241ac9800c71cc81a9348ba1c93.jpeg22104A33-404E-4F6D-BF67-C5D131949156.thumb.jpeg.8403a6a62770c5e1f8fd9096461816bb.jpeg

Nice flow.  I’m mad jelly.  

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

It's fake, eh !!

Awesome way to get us started, my friend.

I agree that Winnipeg is beautiful.  I love to joke about it as most non-Winterpegers and non-Mosquitopegers do, but it is very nice.

Not quite as stuck up as Ontarians stuck up in The Great Satan or Ottawa (The Slightly Lesser Satan) and not any where near as rednecked as places further west.  Right smack dab in the middle of this vast Great White North.

Not quite the laid back and easy goingness of either West or East coast, especially the Atlantic.  And just a tad warmer than the spectacular North coast.

Very nice, indeed.

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

41 minutes ago, inkman said:

He's a good looking dude.  Rather scruffy right now, but he cleans up rather nicely.

Since *The Slug* is signed I'll allow it.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

SPOTLIGHT: Rasmus Dahlin (53) and Josh Morrissey (51) enter into the game 2nd and 3rd in d-man points respectively. Battle of the Norris contenders.

YOUR Buffalo Sabres visit beautiful Winnipeg to do battle with the Jets. The Sabres sit a mere 3 points back of Washington for the final playoff spot in the East, but with 3 games in hand. We control our own destiny, now, and every week we’re still in the thick of a playoff race is another week longer than we’ve been in years. In the words of Otto Octavius: “Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts.“ 

2nd in the West, the arrival of new coach Rick Bowness has somewhat unexpectedly found a way to create lift for these Jets. Backstopped by a Connor Hellebuyck once again returned to Vezina form, the Jets are a tough out on any given night. Particularly at home, where they have only dropped a minuscule total of 6 games all season long. They have a very good home record.

But we have a Tage. 

Get to their net early, get to their net often. If not, I may be subjected in arena to a chorus of “BEST TRADE EVER!” chants, the fact no component of that deal is anymore relevant to either team a minor detail to the fans of Winnipeg. The Winnipeg way. 

• Sabres dropped a 4-2 decision in Buffalo to the Jets on January 12, tonight completes the season series. 

- - - 

I saw Reinhart score his first career hat trick in this barn, Pat LaFontaine signed a hockey card for a star-struck kid me, during warmups, in the old barn here, and in my oldest memory from watching the Sabres live, the Jets beat Hasek on a 4 on 3 PP to lock up a win here and start off a decades long period where I never saw the Sabres quite able get it done, for even a single win live. 

But that’s all changed. It’s been changed for a while, actually. Hey, let’s have a good effort tonight. As always, go Sabres.

Already made my selection for this one, I’m ready for us to rough these fly boys up and send ‘em back to Top Gun:

E54A54BF-6294-4CF5-AC39-505D0870E998.thumb.jpeg.8f086241ac9800c71cc81a9348ba1c93.jpeg22104A33-404E-4F6D-BF67-C5D131949156.thumb.jpeg.8403a6a62770c5e1f8fd9096461816bb.jpeg

Great write up. Are you aware that you have that Sean Penn bad boy look? 🍺

Buffalo's road record is astounding. Paul Hamilton was asked on WGR why is that the case. He was conjecturing but felt that the mostly youthful Sabres get aroused when playing in front of a full and energized house. He also noted that Buffalo's home record in front of full or near full house was also excellent. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

But we have a Tage. 

- - - 

You will be docked one goal for the Sabres for wearing the Slug.... should be 2 goals but gave you one for Miller Auto. LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

But we have a Tage. 

- - - 

I predict the sabres will ride those handlebars to victory.

Edited by Mustache of God
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Stads said:

I normally like to be hunkered down to watch these games, but I have a team building drinking engagement with some coworkers. I'll certainly be watching from the bar, but it won't be the same. I'm with you all in spirit. Go team!

Hope you get some.  Go Sabres!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Nice GDT start.  Most all of my Canadian friends mock Winnipeg as very cold and kind of boring.  They don’t think much of Buffalo either.  Good to hear another perspective.

Would love to get out of there with another 2 points.  

Is Comrie playing tonight?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Nice GDT start.  Most all of my Canadian friends mock Winnipeg as very cold and kind of boring.  They don’t think much of Buffalo either.  Good to hear another perspective.

Don't know much about Winnipeg, other than looking at its metro area it's around the same population as Monroe County NY (Rochester proper), so I could see it being kinda boring and generic or kinda cool depending on the culture. Erie county is around 1M, Winnipeg is around 800k.

• Like (+1) 1

Within this link is a 20 min interview with Don Granato on WGR. Very often when he talks hockey it is shows a broader perspective on how he approaches the game. In this segment he talks about his emphasis on offense when he took over from the prior coach. At the end of the segment he talks about Power vis a vis with Dahlin. He's terrific to listen to. There are few cliche responses. Most of his responses are very thoughful and insightful. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Is Comrie getting the start today?

According to Sabres live, yes. 

Which should be fun if they lose because a bunch of posters will be all like "OOOO I told you! You're stupid" even though Comrie needs starts, we gotta know what he can or cannot do at this point. I think this is going to be a hard go for Comrie after over 2 weeks off and playing a strong Winnipeg team that is starting Hellbeychuk

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

According to Sabres live, yes. 

Which should be fun if they lose because a bunch of posters will be all like "OOOO I told you! You're stupid" even though Comrie needs starts, we gotta know what he can or cannot do at this point. I think this is going to be a hard go for Comrie after over 2 weeks off and playing a strong Winnipeg team that is starting Hellbeychuk

Karl Marx Deal With It GIF by Amy

Guess who's dad will be attending!?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.