Timo Meier rumour - Sabres contact Sharks

Sabres73

2 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I think we could basically “rent” him for a year.  Give up draft picks to acquire him, let him help us in the playoffs, and then recoup those assets by trading him at the deadline next year.  We even have the financial flexibility to take on a lot of his contract to maximize the assets we get next year. 

First, I love this idea and the creativity behind it, and I mean that.  But I don't think he's under contract for next year, and I don't think he'd sign up for this in a new contract.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

First, I love this idea and the creativity behind it, and I mean that.  But I don't think he's under contract for next year, and I don't think he'd sign up for this in a new contract.  

He’s still an RFA, so he has no choice but to play next year for $10M qualifying offer or leave that money on the table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

He’s still an RFA, so he has no choice but to play next year for $10M qualifying offer or leave that money on the table.

Exactly.  If we trade for him then we have him next year as well.  If contract extension talks don’t go well then trade him, recoup the assets and maximize his value by retaining half his salary. 
And we can afford him because we’re not going to be hurting for cap space next year so his 10 million won’t affect us too much. 

1 minute ago, sabills said:

I get long term, but why do you think they can't afford 10m next year? They're 20M under the cap right now with more coming off than going on, even with a chunky Cozens contract.

Sure but why trade assets for one year?  Or even two?  

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sure but why trade assets for one year?  Or even two?  

You’re likely getting assets back.  The difference between the two is what you give up.  What’s a playoff run worth to you?  What’s being competitive in a playoff series worth to you?  It’s worth a net cost of 1st rd pick or so to me.

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

You’re likely getting assets back.  The difference between the two is what you give up.  What’s a playoff run worth to you?  What’s being competitive in a playoff series worth to you?  It’s worth a net cost of 1st rd pick or so to me.

But this isn't the year and we all know that.  I'd trade for Meier in a hot second if the only issue were this year's run.  

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

We haven’t been to the playoffs on how long?  How valuable would playoff experience be for these kids?  I’d be ok with giving up picks just for that alone. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Allen said:

I think we could basically “rent” him for a year.  Give up draft picks to acquire him, let him help us in the playoffs, and then recoup those assets by trading him at the deadline next year.  We even have the financial flexibility to take on a lot of his contract to maximize the assets we get next year. 

The Sabres WILL be in the playoffs next year.  With or without Meier brought in.  Do you HONESTLY expect to see the in a playoff position Sabres trade away a major asset like Meier at the deadline (should they even have him)?  

When was the last time e a playoff bound team was a seller at the deadline?

And if, somehow, you don't believe THIS team w/ Meier added is playoff bound, then why would you expect the Sabres to trade for him?

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

But this isn't the year and we all know that.  I'd trade for Meier in a hot second if the only issue were this year's run.  

I dunno.  A player like that seems like would elevate the team to a point where playoffs are a real conversation and not just a hopeful one.

I think a net of the difference between what we give up and what we get back is likely worth the jump start he would likely provide.  It’s not like the cupboard isn’t well stocked.

One more point.  The future is never guaranteed.  Take the shot when you have it to take.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I dunno.  A player like that seems like would elevate the team to a point where playoffs are a real conversation and not just a hopeful one.

I think a net of the difference between what we give up and what we get back is likely worth the jump start he would likely provide.  It’s not like the cupboard isn’t well stocked.

But it's not about making the playoffs.  You and I are old.  We've seen the playoffs.  It's about winning the Cup, and Meier isn't getting the Sabres there this year. 

I don't mind rentals. But this isn't the time for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres WILL be in the playoffs next year.  With or without Meier brought in.  Do you HONESTLY expect to see the in a playoff position Sabres trade away a major asset like Meier at the deadline (should they even have him)?  

When was the last time e a playoff bound team was a seller at the deadline?

And if, somehow, you don't believe THIS team w/ Meier added is playoff bound, then why would you expect the Sabres to trade for him?

This is completely correct. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

But it's not about making the playoffs.  You and I are old.  We've seen the playoffs.  It's about winning the Cup, and Meier isn't getting the Sabres there this year. 

I don't mind rentals. But this isn't the time for that.

You gotta get there first. The sooner this group experiences the playoffs, the sooner they will be ready to experience multiple rounds of playoffs.

We keep waiting for a critical mass of talent to take that step.  We have a critical mass now.  It’s time.

• Like (+1) 1

If we're going for it not only am I picking up Meier but I'm getting Luke Schenn from the Canucks as well. We would have 3 bruising defensemen in Schenn, Lybushkin and Samuelsson and 2 power forwards in the top 6 with Tuch and Meir and pray that Levi signs with us next season. Draft picks are nice but actually making it to the playoffs and a Stanley Cup should always be the goal. Since we had 3 1sts last season the thought process should be we have 2 seasons in a row where we can afford to spend our 1st on an established player if need be.

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

Exactly.  If we trade for him then we have him next year as well.  If contract extension talks don’t go well then trade him, recoup the assets and maximize his value by retaining half his salary. 
And we can afford him because we’re not going to be hurting for cap space next year so his 10 million won’t affect us too much. 

We won't recoup the assets we spent.  If we cant extend him next season we won't get what we paid to get him.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.