Timo Meier rumour - Sabres contact Sharks

Sabres73

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

😂

Because...

He fits and he fits even better if he's been added as an upgrade to Olofsson, rather than an addition to him.

Some of us going to have to move away from grasping the prospects too tightly.

Olofsson, Mitts, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich and this year's 1st can't all be core forwards.

On a team that already has Skinner, Thompson, Tuch and soon Cozens on term, not even all of Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich can.

Sacrificing the potential of one or two of them for more of a sure thing, it's going to become a necessity.

Agree in full, very salient, especially the last sentence. It’s the glorious time where “winning” trades based on a pure talent perspective becomes, somehow, secondary, to what a trade accomplishes through the prism and context of achieving a goal. When overall talent level has reached such a degree (can’t even believe I’m typing that) that it allows for greater consideration, prioritization of things like timeline, and fit. When you know you have time to replenish the system because you don’t intend on needing key pieces from prospects any time soon due to a good young current core. The Blues probably (see: did) miraculously lose the ROR / Tage deal based on talent. But boy, did they ever win. Any no one can take that away. To your point, we won’t need to lament the loss of the prized prospect talent we’ve fallen in love with when in truth that aspect has always been only valuable as a means to an end - and to achieve that end there comes a time, if lucky, when some can, and should, and necessarily, becomes currency. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is exactly the type of player Buffalo needs. If you can swing the contract commitment, you make the trade and dont look back.

The Sabres going in to playoff series against EC teams that play fast paced, "physical" games. Failing to address the beef and snarl persona of a playoff run would be a huge mistake imho.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

We don't care about a guy who is going to score 30+ goals this year with over 80% being 5v5?

How many other NHL teams would have that attitude?

Seems kind of odd how people still are unable to fathom that maybe Olofsson has made significant progress in his game.

A lot of posters here want to move him.  I’m not sure he figured anything out at 27.  I think he’s finally being used properly, which is limiting his ice time. 

7 hours ago, inkman said:

These are the reactions I was expecting.  I don’t want to give up these assets either but these fairy tale proposals where we just offer assets we don’t really care about (ie. Mittlestadt, Olofsson, Östlund, draft picks down the road, Rosen) are mind numbing.  At least one of the things going to SJ will hurt.  Whether it’s Quinn, Peterka, this years 1st, Kulich, or Savoie. One of them has to be included unless the SJ GM is a puddle of poo.   

I agree on the fairy tale proposals. I would expect to give up at least 1 top prospect in return, my only caveat would be to agree to an extension beforehand. Not trading top prospects for a rental.

Just now, klos1963 said:

I agree on the fairy tale proposals. I would expect to give up at least 1 top prospect in return, my only caveat would be to agree to an extension beforehand. Not trading top prospects for a rental.

That goes without saying…until now I guess 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

😂

Because...

He fits and he fits even better if he's been added as an upgrade to Olofsson, rather than an addition to him.

Some of us are going to have to move away from grasping the prospects too tightly.

Olofsson, Mitts, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich and this year's 1st can't all be core forwards.

On a team that already has Skinner, Thompson, Tuch and soon Cozens on term, not even all of Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich can.

Sacrificing the potential of one or two of them for more of a sure thing, it's going to become a necessity.

As stated elsewhere, next year the hard choices have to start getting made.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

That goes without saying…until now I guess 

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-timo-meier-trade-extension-other-teams/

Yes it goes without saying 

10 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He would be a good addition.  A true *power forward*, which is lacking right now.  I don't think any Sabre on the roster or coming soon will fill the role as well as Timo.

I watched him in Halifax.  He is big and has a good scoring touch too.

I'm with Inky ... the price will be too high unless SJ really are done with him.  Then the price may fall a bit.  Not many teams could take on his QO at this point.  I don't think he will command $10M on a long term deal, but tht has to be a consideration too.

I don't think anything is imminent.  This may be an offseason thing.

If everything works out then I would like to have him in the Sabres, but at the end of the day I don't think it will happen.

No.

I’d like to point out that in no way does Meier fit the classic North American power forward role.  Five fights in 9 years of NA hockey.  Hits aren’t off the charts either, about 1.5 a game.  Maybe he’s more Alex Tuch than a Tkachuk.  

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Savoie being in play surprises me a bit, and I love him as a prospect. 

But, good. 

I mean, your above statement means our probable 4 best prospects are in play. Very interesting. That KA feels he can even potentially use those pieces as trade chips is a very positive development imo 

Just to be clear, I’m not saying they would package all 4, but I could see two going. You can only play so many guys. 

4 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

So I think everyone on this board would agree at even $2-3 million more a year, we would rather have Meier than Olofsson.

Certainly, but Meier will cost more than that.  He already makes nearly twice Olofsson's salary.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’d like to point out that in no way does Meier fit the classic North American power forward role.  Five fights in 9 years of NA hockey.  Hits aren’t off the charts either, about 1.5 a game.  Maybe he’s more Alex Tuch than a Tkachuk.  

Yeah, if you are talking the Cam Neely, Rick Tocchet, Mike Foligno role, no one does, really. Tom Wilson, is he good enough?

I mean Matt Tkachuk barely qualifies, he doesn’t really fight and he’s almost more of superpest than a power forward anyway.

Power forward today means to me a guy who can overpower you in the corners and driving to the net with his combination of strength and speed.

One other point is that given KA's emphasis on team-building and team spirit, it's hard to see them trading much from the NHL roster for an outsider, and then making that outsider the highest-paid or 2nd-highest paid player on the team -- which would be the case if Meier got, say, $8.5MM per year.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Im baffled by the talk of Olofsson being moved so easily. He's emphatically stated that it's his "dream" to remain a Sabre long-term. Moving a guy like that sends a horrible message.  The team has literally won 5 games recently because of his clutch scoring. 

Meier would be a HUGE add on this team. "Feared" as Granato desires...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

One other point is that given KA's emphasis on team-building and team spirit, it's hard to see them trading much from the NHL roster for an outsider, and then making that outsider the highest-paid or 2nd-highest paid player on the team -- which would be the case if Meier got, say, $8.5MM per year.

My view of KA’s roster management style is to fix only what actually needs fixing.  In the off-season  they needed a goalie and at least one D and depth at center.  KA brought in Comrie in goal.  He added Bush as a top 6 D and then for more depth Pilut and Clague.  He also tried to add center depth with Sheahan who lost his job with the waiver pickup of Jost. 

With the defense now healthy, all three goalies contributing, where is the obvious roster hole that needs fixing? 
1.  Jost and Krebs’ solid play has eliminated the need for depth at center. 

2. UPL has seized the crease, but Comrie and Andy are ready and able to chip in

3. Bush getting healthy is a different player securing the 6 spot.  Joki is playing his best hockey securing the 4.  Clague has secured the 7.  

4. Mitts and VO’s excellent play the last month plus has eliminated the need for more scoring depth.  

The biggest issues on the team, if you can even call them that, are Bryson at the 5 and JJP and Quinn’s lack of recent production.  

If we have learned nothing about DG and KA, it’s they are going to be patient with young skilled players.  No way the kids are coming out of the lineup.  They believe you learn from doing.  

That leaves Bryson.  I’d like to see them swap Bryson for Clague in the short term, but if they find a better player then either that would be better.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My view of KA’s roster management style is to fix only what actually needs fixing.  In the off-season  they needed a goalie and at least one D and depth at center.  KA brought in Comrie in goal.  He added Bush as a top 6 D and then for more depth Pilut and Clague.  He also tried to add center depth with Sheahan who lost his job with the waiver pickup of Jost. 

With the defense now healthy, all three goalies contributing, where is the obvious roster hole that needs fixing? 
1.  Jost and Krebs’ solid play has eliminated the need for depth at center. 

2. UPL has seized the crease, but Comrie and Andy are ready and able to chip in

3. Bush getting healthy is a different player securing the 6 spot.  Joki is playing his best hockey securing the 4.  Clague has secured the 7.  

4. Mitts and VO’s excellent play the last month plus has eliminated the need for more scoring depth.  

The biggest issues on the team, if you can even call them that, are Bryson at the 5 and JJP and Quinn’s lack of recent production.  

If we have learned nothing about DG and KA, it’s they are going to be patient with young skilled players.  No way the kids are coming out of the lineup.  They believe you learn from doing.  

That leaves Bryson.  I’d like to see them swap Bryson for Clague in the short term, but if they find a better player then either that would be better.  

Extremely good analysis and I agree with everything 100%.  Clague has to play ahead of Bryson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.