Timo Meier rumour - Sabres contact Sharks

Sabres73

3 hours ago, inkman said:

These are the reactions I was expecting.  I don’t want to give up these assets either but these fairy tale proposals where we just offer assets we don’t really care about (ie. Mittlestadt, Olofsson, Östlund, draft picks down the road, Rosen) are mind numbing.  At least one of the things going to SJ will hurt.  Whether it’s Quinn, Peterka, this years 1st, Kulich, or Savoie. One of them has to be included unless the SJ GM is a puddle of poo.   

We don't care about a guy who is going to score 30+ goals this year with over 80% being 5v5?

How many other NHL teams would have that attitude?

Seems kind of odd how people still are unable to fathom that maybe Olofsson has made significant progress in his game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

We don't need any more 2023 2nd round draft picks...3 is enough. 

Why? You're still getting four of the top 65 in a really good draft?

If you don't want that many for contract or space reasons ok, you can put two together to move up or trade out for a future pick. To be clear, I don't want to trade the 1st rounder, this was only if I had to.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Huh, we're talking about making a trade that would conceivably help get us to the playoffs. What a time to be alive. 

It's not as exciting as speculating how we can get a 1st round pick for flipping scandella and then ending up with a 4th rounder for him, but it'll do.

• Haha (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, SyrSabreFan said:

Meier on Cozen's wing would be awesome. If we need to move Savoie, Peterka and a 1. You do it. IMO.

If Meier's was signed for say 3 more years at like 6million, I might be able to agree with such a deal (which is still probably a little high) but he isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We don't care about a guy who is going to score 30+ goals this year with over 80% being 5v5?

How many other NHL teams would have that attitude?

Seems kind of odd how people still are unable to fathom that maybe Olofsson has made significant progress in his game.

That's why we should be talking about Mitts as the roster player moved in a trade. We have a lot of Mitts fans here who are pointing out his improvements. Who would you rather stay, Mitts or VO? I'd rather we keep VO. No matter what happens in a trade you have to give up good to get good in return.

• Like (+1) 2

Still does not seem like a good move for us when it comes to cap and pieces you would have to trade back.

Our first rounder (top 3 protected)  I can live with /  CM or Oloffson  /  Peterka/Quinn/Kulich should not be going other way though.

There is a reason sharks want to trade him, any gm will have his back against the wall with that Qualifying offer.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Still does not seem like a good move for us when it comes to cap and pieces you would have to trade back.

Our first rounder (top 3 protected)  I can live with /  CM or Oloffson  /  Peterka/Quinn/Kulich should not be going other way though.

There is a reason sharks want to trade him, any gm will have his back against the wall with that Qualifying offer.

How is Meier defensively? If he is very good then OK. Otherwise I don't see the point of trading one 30+ goal scorer for another 

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, Skooby said:

If we get him, we can score 4.15 goals a game versus 3.96 goals. It’ll be very important for us every 5 games.

Bad math.  You're forgetting to subtract whoever it is that he'll be replacing, for one thing.  And there are a few others.

I still do not advocate for trading for a guy that's not going to fit w/I the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

And due to this, it really limits what they will be getting for him. I certainly wouldn’t send a small group of young, promising players or picks for a potential rental. And this doesn’t even take into account that only a few teams would be able to absorb this QO. He’s currently making $6M. How many teams even have that space right now? We may end up being on the receiving end of a Hall type of trade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

For the record, he’s a strong, tough to play against forward with elite skill but at 6’1”, big might not be the word I would use.

I still don’t think they end up getting him but three things I believe to be absolutes.

1) Quinn and JJP aren’t going anywhere.

2) Cozens play has them thinking they can speed up this process by giving him an elite, experienced winger and moving JJP or Quinn to Jost line

3) All 3 of last year’s picks are in play as well as Rosen and I wouldn’t be shocked if any of them are included in any deal.

Savoie being in play surprises me a bit, and I love him as a prospect. 

But, good. 

I mean, your above statement means our probable 4 best prospects are in play. Very interesting. That KA feels he can even potentially use those pieces as trade chips is a very positive development imo 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If they want JJP or Quinn, I am probably removing the 1st. But again, I am coming at from Buffalo's side and not SJS.

If I were to look at it from SJS side... I would ask for JJP/Quinn, Sabres 2023 1st, Kisakov or similar, and one of the Rochester guys that's young that I like (not Kulich but like Weissback or Murray or whatever their cup of tea is). 

I’m not really like this with prospects or young players but.. I don’t think I’d move Quinn in this deal. Something special about that kid.

I'd trade our 1st, Mitts, and ... Rosen? (That would be great) as long as we got Meier on a reasonable deal for the next few yrs ($6 Million range) in the trade. 

Meier is 6'0, 210. Not tall but he's still a very physical player and getting hit by a guy 6'0 210 is tougher than say 6'3, 200. His body type is physical and solid. 

Two big needs are obvious: a 6th defensemen, with solid physical defensive skills (not likely this year) and a physical two way forward who adds overall physicality to the team. Meier fits the latter in the ideal. 

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Confirmed... Comrie gets the nod.

Setting him up to fail perhaps?

😂

Because...

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Bad math.  You're forgetting to subtract whoever it is that he'll be replacing, for one thing.  And there are a few others.

I still do not advocate for trading for a guy that's not going to fit w/I the cap.

He fits and he fits even better if he's been added as an upgrade to Olofsson, rather than an addition to him.

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Savoie being in play surprises me a bit, and I love him as a prospect. 

But, good. 

I mean, your above statement means our probable 4 best prospects are in play. Very interesting. That KA feels he can even potentially use those pieces as trade chips is a very positive development imo 

Some of us are going to have to move away from grasping the prospects too tightly.

Olofsson, Mitts, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich and this year's 1st can't all be core forwards.

On a team that already has Skinner, Thompson, Tuch and soon Cozens on term, not even all of Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich can.

Sacrificing the potential of one or two of them for more of a sure thing, it's going to become a necessity.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

It will not take a 2024 1st to get Timo. If a GM offers it, Grier will jump on that.  

I think it would take a high-end prospect not named Savoie, Mitts, and one of the 2nd rounders we have in 2024.  Timo signs 7x8.5, Tage and him become best friends, Timo and Dahlin start a hiphop dance crew, and the Sabres make the playoffs.  

Make the move GMKA.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

I think teams can negotiate an extension with a player in their last year before a trade.  Isn't that what Florida was allowed to do with Reinhart?

Yes they can, and I heard somewhere Grier already said once they have a deal worked out the team can start negotiating the extension with his agent.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.