Timo Meier rumour - Sabres contact Sharks

Sabres73

40 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

More recent data. We got Tuch, Krebs, a protected 1, and a 2 for Eichel.   3 equivalent 1’s plus a 2, and we sent a pick back with Eichel too. 

If Meier is 75% of Eichel, then they should get approx 2 equivalent 1’s and a 2 .  Not 3 equivalent 1’s   

Östlund or Rosen, a protected 2023 # 1, and next years 2 should be ok. His contract is another problem that should favor us in negotiating them down.  

IMO due to Eichel's injury and potential locker room issues Meier will cost closer to 100% of what Vegas paid for Eichel. I think at the very least we're giving up Savoie, 2024 first, and Kulich/Rosen/Östlund.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

SJ says no.  I think it would take a 1st, Quinn (I'm not giving up Peterka) and a lesser prospect (I'm not giving up Kulich)

I’m here too. Quinn is expendable for someone of Meiers caliber. But JJP and Kulich are the cheap fillers you can’t let go of. I’m sure there’s a way to steer them to someone else. 

https://theathletic.com/4128144/2023/01/26/sabres-trade-timo-meier-nhl-deal/

The closest and most recent comparable to a Meier trade would be the Alex DeBrincat deal Chicago and Ottawa made last summer. The Blackhawks traded DeBrincat to the Senators for the No. 7 overall pick, the No. 39 overall pick and a 2023 second-round pick. DeBrincat was younger at the time of the trade than Meier is now. He also had an extra year on his contract. But that’s probably the jumping-off point.

The Sabres have a deep pool of prospects and young NHL players who could be included in such a trade. Jiri Kulich and Isak Rosen are attractive trade chips in Rochester. It may take one or both to get a deal done in addition to a first-round pick.

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s very doable for McCabe 

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Im not trading a 1st for McCabe. The latest 2nd we have and a B level guy, sure. 

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It is.  Gonna start a trade speculation thread to catch stuff like this.

I’d do a 2nd and Kisakov 

• Like (+1) 1

There has to be a negative value for the contract he has. There’s so few teams in the league that can even fit it, even if it’s a long term 8AAV deal.  Two younger players, but only one of them blue chip and a 2nd.

Sabres have to be careful giving up too much cause those are the support players needed to fill out the roster given the core. This just accelerates that process. 

Edited by triumph_communes

35 minutes ago, NAF said:

IMO due to Eichel's injury and potential locker room issues Meier will cost closer to 100% of what Vegas paid for Eichel. I think at the very least we're giving up Savoie, 2024 first, and Kulich/Rosen/Östlund.

Then pass.  

If we acquire Meier I assume we put him on LE with Cozens and move Peterka where?  Oloffsson scores more.  Girgs plays a better defensive game.  

25 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I don't believe any of this.   

KA's front office doesn't leak these activities to the press.   

TSN has been off base on these Sabres reports ever since KA took over. 

It doesn’t look like a KA move 

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Then pass.  

If we acquire Meier I assume we put him on LE with Cozens and move Peterka where?  Oloffsson scores more.  Girgs plays a better defensive game.  

As I have indicated, I think if you do this you are sending Olofsson out in a corresponding trade. Then the Jost line gets either Quinn or JJP and Cozens gets Meier. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Makes sense, but then who'd you give up for Meier and what did you get for Oloffson?

I get a 1st and something for Olofsson

I give up that first (which is presumably lower than ours), Rosen, Weissbach and a 2nd. I think SJ will have a hard time moving a guy with a 10mil signing bonus.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As I have indicated, I think if you do this you are sending Olofsson out in a corresponding trade. Then the Jost line gets either Quinn or JJP and Cozens gets Meier. 

Makes sense.   Trading a goal scorer and acquiring a goal score that is bigger and plays with more presence.   

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I give up that first (which is presumably lower than ours), Rosen, Weissbach and a 2nd. I think SJ will have a hard time moving a guy with a 10mil signing bonus.

Real quick I just tossed some names but that is the pieces I think you see going. A 1st, a prospect that is in that A- to B+ range, some younger guy that they can probably fit in their lineup with some upside, and a sweetner. 

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting.

Reposting the DeBrincat return:

The closest and most recent comparable to a Meier trade would be the Alex DeBrincat deal Chicago and Ottawa made last summer. The Blackhawks traded DeBrincat to the Senators for the No. 7 overall pick, the No. 39 overall pick and a 2023 second-round pick. DeBrincat was younger at the time of the trade than Meier is now. He also had an extra year on his contract. But that’s probably the jumping-off point.

That looks like:

- Sabres 2023 #1, probably top-3 protected

- Philly 2023 #2

- Östlund, Rosen or Sabres 2024 #2 pick

...which is a lot cheaper than Quinn, Kulich and a #1.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That’s certainly what I’d be trying for: effectively, it becomes futures not on the NHL team for upgrading Olofsson into Meier.

And yes, I’d consider switching Peterka or Quinn into the package, but that would make the package a lot smaller.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.

Reposting the DeBrincat return:

That looks like:

- Sabres 2023 #1, probably top-3 protected

- Philly 2023 #2

- Östlund, Rosen or Sabres 2024 #2 pick

...which is a lot cheaper than Quinn, Kulich and a #1.

2023 1st is an absolute non starter. This draft is stacked. 2024? Go for it.

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s certainly what I’d be trying for: effectively, it becomes futures not on the NHL team for upgrading Olofsson into Meier.

And yes, I’d consider switching Peterka or Quinn into the package, but that would make the package a lot smaller.

If they want JJP or Quinn, I am probably removing the 1st. But again, I am coming at from Buffalo's side and not SJS.

If I were to look at it from SJS side... I would ask for JJP/Quinn, Sabres 2023 1st, Kisakov or similar, and one of the Rochester guys that's young that I like (not Kulich but like Weissback or Murray or whatever their cup of tea is). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.