What has Tyson Jost meant/done for the team?

LGR4GM

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does Jost’s production really matter if he is creating space for Casey to make passes to VO to convert into goals?

Well no not technically but they generally go hand in hand, as we are seeing currently 

I like Jost. I chuckle over how well-liked he seems to be compared to Mittelstadt.

He's not better or more useful. He's just never disappointed you.

Just one year ago in Colorado, Jost was Mittelstadt, with more games played and less production — a skill centre picked in the top 10 then rushed to the NHL where fans got tired of waiting for him.

This is what the Colorado fan base was saying when he got traded a little under a year ago:

• I don't know ***** about Sturm, but Jost is gone!! That experiment was about 3 years too long.
  • YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Save $1,250,000 add a big body and get rid of Jost for this year and next, wins all around
  •  We could get Sturm to work as a seat usher and I’d still be happy with the return.
  •  I wish Jost well but it was mostly a frustrating tenure with the Avalanche. I really thought he had put it all together last year playing with Donskoi and Nichushkin, but he regressed so hard this year that it became obvious last year was smoke and mirrors.
  •  Glad to see Jost gone, just wasn't working here, he is not a bottom 6er, PKer. I hope he can gain some traction for his career. But hopefully not too much, since f*** Minnesota.
  • This is a strategic move for when the Avs play the Wild in round 2. They know exactly where to attack now
  • Jost is good people person but bad hockey person.
  • We’ve all been so excited about Jost leaving that I just now noticed that Sturm’s name isn’t even spelt right in the thread title :laugh:
  • Looks like Sakic had enough of Tyson Jost's inability to bring anything to the table and decided to doff him off for a Nico Sturm who likely doesn't bring anything to the table
  • we were never winning a cup with him playing any sort of significant role in the playoffs

There's more...

Edited by dudacek
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I think Jost was simply a good fit for the spot they put him in. He has the speed to flow with his two linemates but he also brought a little better 2 way play from what he learned on his previous clubs and that complemented the line well. 

Sometimes the expectations on a player are too high and he was expected to be an offensive talent when he was drafted. Now the bar was lowered substantially and he got the chance to be a serviceable 3C until we can upgrade with Savoie or whoever. 

At this point I would re-sign him but on a low end contract. 

The thing is when your team drafts a first rounder the fan base expects a top end player who can function as either a top 6 F or top 4 D. They see a bottom 6 or 3rd pairing guy as a failure. But if that player goes to another team there are no expectations on him. I remember Paille going to Boston and being a great 4th liner after being a disappointment here with a lack of offence to his game.

We could care less where Jost was drafted. If he can fill a bottom 6 role effectively then great. Colorado expected more from him.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The thing is when your team drafts a first rounder the fan base expects a top end player who can function as either a top 6 F or top 4 D. They see a bottom 6 or 3rd pairing guy as a failure. But if that player goes to another team there are no expectations on him. I remember Paille going to Boston and being a great 4th liner after being a disappointment here with a lack of offence to his game.

We could care less where Jost was drafted. If he can fill a bottom 6 role effectively then great. Colorado expected more from him.

Right, but how does that reflect on Mitts?  To me it's a case of use him where you can. He's not what we wanted him to be but, like Jost, he can fill a role the Sabres need.  Mitts is a board digger, a decent passer, and given the right opportunity will put a few in the net.  He is fast enough but also brings a bit of a physical edge.  In the end he may be a fourth liner and that's okay, as long as he's not breaking the bank.

56 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Right, but how does that reflect on Mitts?  To me it's a case of use him where you can. He's not what we wanted him to be but, like Jost, he can fill a role the Sabres need.  Mitts is a board digger, a decent passer, and given the right opportunity will put a few in the net.  He is fast enough but also brings a bit of a physical edge.  In the end he may be a fourth liner and that's okay, as long as he's not breaking the bank.

Agreed but my point was  this board has nothing but praise for Jost while dumping on Mitts based on expectations. Mitts was our pick while Jost was found money.

I think people are short changing Mitts. He is an effective PP distributor and a solid playmaker. I think he over thinks things sometimes which lead to some head scratching turnovers.

I have no problem with him in the role he is in. That line is producing.

If Mitts was a 3rd line winger and our team was struggling to score then there would be a lot more venom towards him. But with Tage and Cozens stepping up and become scoring centres for this team then Mitts can settle in to a different role.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Agreed but my point was  this board has nothing but praise for Jost while dumping on Mitts based on expectations. Mitts was our pick while Jost was found money.

I think people are short changing Mitts. He is an effective PP distributor and a solid playmaker. I think he over thinks things sometimes which lead to some head scratching turnovers.

I have no problem with him in the role he is in. That line is producing.

If Mitts was a 3rd line winger and our team was struggling to score then there would be a lot more venom towards him. But with Tage and Cozens stepping up and become scoring centres for this team then Mitts can settle in to a different role.

Idk, I feel like most of us are pretty complimentary of Mitts these days. He has looked a world better the last month. My only concern is we have seen this pattern from him before where Mitts will be good for 10 or so games and then regress. Hope that doesn't happen because right now he is a valuable member of the team. 

• Agree 2

Probably the most trivial and seemingly inconsequential part of a player's play I've ever noticed, but if you pay attention to line changes during the game, Jost presses and buys time while Mitts and VO lazily skate to the bench. I think that's why he's forced turnovers or added pressure so often and been seemingly unsupported--then suddenly support shows and it's KO and not VO.

I'm convinced this weird act alone has improved the Sabres second period play as Mitts/VO aren't getting caught deep on a change.

Anyone else notice this? Or am I just losing my mind?

2 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Probably the most trivial and seemingly inconsequential part of a player's play I've ever noticed, but if you pay attention to line changes during the game, Jost presses and buys time while Mitts and VO lazily skate to the bench. I think that's why he's forced turnovers or added pressure so often and been seemingly unsupported--then suddenly support shows and it's KO and not VO.

I'm convinced this weird act alone has improved the Sabres second period play as Mitts/VO aren't getting caught deep on a change.

Not talking about he “lazily” part, but I have noticed his pressure allowing changes.

Krebs and Skinner also seem out there late in shifts in a similar fashion. Don’t notice any one guy doing it more on the Cozens line.

• Agree 2

On 1/26/2023 at 12:15 AM, dudacek said:

I like Jost. I chuckle over how well-liked he seems to be compared to Mittelstadt.

He's not better or more useful. He's just never disappointed you.

Just one year ago in Colorado, Jost was Mittelstadt, with more games played and less production — a skill centre picked in the top 10 then rushed to the NHL where fans got tired of waiting for him.

This is what the Colorado fan base was saying when he got traded a little under a year ago:

• I don't know ***** about Sturm, but Jost is gone!! That experiment was about 3 years too long.
  • YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Save $1,250,000 add a big body and get rid of Jost for this year and next, wins all around
  •  We could get Sturm to work as a seat usher and I’d still be happy with the return.
  •  I wish Jost well but it was mostly a frustrating tenure with the Avalanche. I really thought he had put it all together last year playing with Donskoi and Nichushkin, but he regressed so hard this year that it became obvious last year was smoke and mirrors.
  •  Glad to see Jost gone, just wasn't working here, he is not a bottom 6er, PKer. I hope he can gain some traction for his career. But hopefully not too much, since f*** Minnesota.
  • This is a strategic move for when the Avs play the Wild in round 2. They know exactly where to attack now
  • Jost is good people person but bad hockey person.
  • We’ve all been so excited about Jost leaving that I just now noticed that Sturm’s name isn’t even spelt right in the thread title :laugh:
  • Looks like Sakic had enough of Tyson Jost's inability to bring anything to the table and decided to doff him off for a Nico Sturm who likely doesn't bring anything to the table
  • we were never winning a cup with him playing any sort of significant role in the playoffs

There's more...

Well, the Avs fans are at Stanley Cup level of expectations, our expectations for the year were to challenge for a wildcard playoff spot.   There is normally a considerable difference between the top contenders/division winners and the the wild card contenders.   

Jost is much better than Eakin, and he fits in with the boys, and he is responding to DG and working hard to play his best hockey.  That said, he will probably be replaced by one of our center prospects sometime down the road, but for now he is helping the team.   Having him means our center prospects at least have to beat out a real NHL player and do not need to be rushed (like we rushed Tage and Mitts in prior regimes).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Not talking about he “lazily” part, but I have noticed his pressure allowing changes.

Krebs and Skinner also seem out there late in shifts in a similar fashion. Don’t notice any one guy doing it more on the Cozens line.

Peterka is often the last one off from that line.  (Might simply be the other line LWs getting off late too and him getting a full shift, but he is pretty consistently still out w/ the next line briefly ala Skinner.)

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I've also seen an overlap in Krebs with the kid wingers.  They played as a unit in Rochester; I wonder if Donny is trying to give Krebs some time (albeit brief) with them to try to increasing the scoring out of all three.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.