What has Tyson Jost meant/done for the team?

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not sure what Jost's ceiling is.  It very well could be 3C as he doesn't seem to have the passing nor shot of the rest of the players in the top 9 but he does have a reasonable 200' game.

Have wondered if the plan for next year is to flip Krebs & Jost or if it is to keep the lines the way they are and let all 4 continue to jell.  Really expect the answer to that will come down to whether Okposo comes back.  If he's back, don't #### with a good thing.  If not, expect we'll see them experiment w/ moving Krebs tenaciousness & playmaking between Mitts & Victor to see if they can be a true 2nd line to go along w/ what will hopefully be another true 2nd line in the Kid Line.

Then Jost & Girgensons would make up 2/3's of the "checking line" likely w/ Asplund, Kulich, or a veteran FA.

I've been pondering some of these items myself.  Regarding Jost, I am pretty confident that they will re-sign him.  He's played pretty well, Mitts and VO have risen from the dead with him centering them, he seems to have the off-ice qualities they value, KA and DG speak highly of him, he won't be expensive, as he was a waiver claim this year and will probably end the season with about 25ish points, and there isn't a young player in the system who is ready to take his spot.

I think they are pretty comfortable with Jost and Krebs as the #3 and #4 centers for the next couple of years while Kulich, Savoie, Östlund, etc. develop.  I'm pretty comfortable with that situation as well.

KO IMHO looks out of gas, especially the last few games, although I thought that for about 4 seasons until he looked great last year.  I kinda think he'll retire, although I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around for 1 more season.  Zemgus still looks pretty good to me and I'd expect him to return next year.

• Like (+1) 3

I LIKE him, but to me he has been a 'slightly above average' replacement level guy.  He is getting 14 minutes of ice time.  His 82 game pace is 11 goals and 23 assists.  He does kill penalties.  I guess I don't know enough about how he fits in the room, and just how GOOD he is at penalty killing.

I'd like him to be a 3rd line center, and if he is, I want more than an 11 goal, 23 assist pace. Does that mean I think he is hurting the team?  No, not at all. Just before I am on board with signing him again to an 'above vet minimum' 1 year deal....or even a 2 year deal, I want to see a little more production, and I'd want to see that he is actually improving the Sabres PK.    I guess if he is 'just as good' as someone like Cozens on the PK, that means you can rest Cozens when penalty killing so he is fresher 5 on 5.  I don't know. I guess I like Jost, I just don't (yet) see him as a huge asset.

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I LIKE him, but to me he has been a 'slightly above average' replacement level guy.  He is getting 14 minutes of ice time.  His 82 game pace is 11 goals and 23 assists.  He does kill penalties.  I guess I don't know enough about how he fits in the room, and just how GOOD he is at penalty killing.

I'd like him to be a 3rd line center, and if he is, I want more than an 11 goal, 23 assist pace. Does that mean I think he is hurting the team?  No, not at all. Just before I am on board with signing him again to an 'above vet minimum' 1 year deal....or even a 2 year deal, I want to see a little more production, and I'd want to see that he is actually improving the Sabres PK.    I guess if he is 'just as good' as someone like Cozens on the PK, that means you can rest Cozens when penalty killing so he is fresher 5 on 5.  I don't know. I guess I like Jost, I just don't (yet) see him as a huge asset.

I want you to go look around the league at teams 3rd line centers and see how many of them are 35pt players. For the record I think Jost can hit 40 but that's what a 3rd line basically is. 

Charlie Coyle plays for the Bruins. They are 1st in the league in points and in scoring. He is currently pacing for 17g, 26a, 43 points. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

It is a small sample size but I am all for re-signing him.

He is a versatile player that can move up and down the bottom six. He hustles his butt off and plays on the right side of the puck defensively.

As a former first rounder, he has some skill, while being the conscience on that line.

His personality seems like a good fit after watching his interview.

He’s been cast aside by two organizations now, he’s realizing that the expectations of him as a 2C may have been high, but there is role to be carved out for him on the right team.

Jost, Krebs, Asplund, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund. The battle for 3-4C will be interesting.

To the last line, I think Asplund has played himself off his team and wont' be here past this season. I see him being packaged in a deal (if one is made).

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want you to go look around the league at teams 3rd line centers and see how many of them are 35pt players. For the record I think Jost can hit 40 but that's what a 3rd line basically is. 

Charlie Coyle plays for the Bruins. They are 1st in the league in points and in scoring. He is currently pacing for 17g, 26a, 43 points. 

Not poking at the original poster, but sometimes I wonder if people think there are teams out there with 9 20+ goal forwards and a 4th line where they only have 10-15 each.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I guess my point is I don't want a 3rd line player whos production is 'just a typical 3rd liner' if possible.

Coyle is getting .53 ppg. Jost. is .41. Its a noticable difference.  Maybe its nitpicking, but for me to say I have a 'good' 3rd line center, I want just a bit more production.

Just now, MattPie said:

Not poking at the original poster, but sometimes I wonder if people think there are teams out there with 9 20+ goal forwards and a 4th line where they only have 10-15 each.

Again, I am saying that if I am going to consider Jost a very good 3rd liner that I want to bring back 'for sure' (which to me that is the general tone of this thread), I want a LITTLE more production.  I'm not talking 20+ goals.  But 40 points (or very, VERY close to it) would be nice for a 3rd line center on a team that likes to say they play as up-tempo as the Sabres do.

Jost fitting in immediately and playing well has enabled DG to slot all the forwards correctly.  It enabled Mitt’s to go the wing and it actually created a very Lindy Ruff type line in which you have a playmaker (Mitts), Sniper (VO) and a forechecker (Jost).  It allowed Mitts to get out of his own way and play a simpler game and in turn gave Mitts his natural game back, the one we saw when DG took over two years ago and in the last 3rd of the season last year.

However it also solidified lines 2-4.  Jost forced Krebs to the 4th line and also allowed him to simplify his game and play the style of KO and Z and low and behold he is blossoming.   Now we have good chemistry on all 4 lines.  In fact since Jost joined with Mitts/VO there has been almost no line juggling.  DG is keeping everyone together despite recent struggles by the Cozens line wingers.  This patience is being rewarded.  The team is no longer relying on TNT line to dominate to win games.  Look at the 4 game win streak and you’ll see 5 g from TNT line (Tnt 1, Tuch 2, Skinner 2), 3 from the Cozens line (all Cozens), 4 from Jost’s line (all VO) 2 from the Krebs line (both Krebs) and 3 from D (2 Power, 1 Dahlin).  10 forwards and 5 D registered at least 1 pt in the last 4 games.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess my point is I don't want a 3rd line player whos production is 'just a typical 3rd liner' if possible.

Coyle is getting .53 ppg. Jost. is .41. Its a noticable difference.  Maybe its nitpicking, but for me to say I have a 'good' 3rd line center, I want just a bit more production.

Again, I am saying that if I am going to consider Jost a very good 3rd liner that I want to bring back 'for sure' (which to me that is the general tone of this thread), I want a LITTLE more production.  I'm not talking 20+ goals.  But 40 points (or very, VERY close to it) would be nice for a 3rd line center on a team that likes to say they play as up-tempo as the Sabres do.

Jost didn't begin this season with the Sabres and in his current role. We won't know his full potential with us unless he is re-signed, but what he has shown is at least average contextually (established already in this thread) if not slightly above.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really interested to see what happens next season. I get the feeling that we're going to keep Jost (RFA after this season, currently making 2M) and I can see him sliding down to anchor the 4th or "energy" line. Assuming our top 6 stays the same and KO & Girgensons aren't re-signed I can see our bottom six looking something like this: 

Kane/ FA/Trade - Savoie/Kulich/Ostland - VO

Mitts - Jost - Krebs

Jost/Mitts essentially become the replacements for KO & Girgensons - both lines have recently been very good at keeping the other team hemmed in and working the puck around the perimeter (but not generating much scoring). I can see this line providing that same type of play / energy and we'd hopefully get more offense out of our new 3rd line which I'm guessing will be VO, a kid in our system and an outside acquisition. 

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've been pondering some of these items myself.  Regarding Jost, I am pretty confident that they will re-sign him.  He's played pretty well, Mitts and VO have risen from the dead with him centering them, he seems to have the off-ice qualities they value, KA and DG speak highly of him, he won't be expensive, as he was a waiver claim this year and will probably end the season with about 25ish points, and there isn't a young player in the system who is ready to take his spot.

I think they are pretty comfortable with Jost and Krebs as the #3 and #4 centers for the next couple of years while Kulich, Savoie, Östlund, etc. develop.  I'm pretty comfortable with that situation as well.

KO IMHO looks out of gas, especially the last few games, although I thought that for about 4 seasons until he looked great last year.  I kinda think he'll retire, although I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around for 1 more season.  Zemgus still looks pretty good to me and I'd expect him to return next year.

By flip, meant move Krebs to center Jost's line & vice versa.  Agree management is comfortable with both on the roster.  Can't see them moving on from either at this point.  After 23-24 something has to give, but not now.  And wouldn't speculate on what goes out as it really will depend to a certain degree on what anybody would bring back.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

As a 22 year old NHL rookie Hecht put up 34 points.  Jost is soon to be 25, in his 6th year in the NHL, and has a whopping career high of 26 points which was 4 years ago.  I would say he has reached his peak and is done “developing”.   I guess he could be a late bloomer, and develop into a solid 40-45 point a year guy, but I wouldn’t bet the house on it. 

Some people develop later than others, even just as a matter of biology.  Some,. emotionally.  Some just need the right environment to succeed (I, myself, was this way.)  I see him as a DEVELOPING Hecht. 

But if you want to look at every glass you see as half-empty, I won't get in your way.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jost fitting in immediately and playing well has enabled DG to slot all the forwards correctly.  It enabled Mitt’s to go the wing and it actually created a very Lindy Ruff type line in which you have a playmaker (Mitts), Sniper (VO) and a forechecker (Jost).  It allowed Mitts to get out of his own way and play a simpler game and in turn gave Mitts his natural game back, the one we saw when DG took over two years ago and in the last 3rd of the season last year.

However it also solidified lines 2-4.  Jost forced Krebs to the 4th line and also allowed him to simplify his game and play the style of KO and Z and low and behold he is blossoming.   Now we have good chemistry on all 4 lines.  In fact since Jost joined with Mitts/VO there has been almost no line juggling.  DG is keeping everyone together despite recent struggles by the Cozens line wingers.  This patience is being rewarded.  The team is no longer relying on TNT line to dominate to win games.  Look at the 4 game win streak and you’ll see 5 g from TNT line (Tnt 1, Tuch 2, Skinner 2), 3 from the Cozens line (all Cozens), 4 from Jost’s line (all VO) 2 from the Krebs line (both Krebs) and 3 from D (2 Power, 1 Dahlin).  10 forwards and 5 D registered at least 1 pt in the last 4 games.

I am not sure that any of Cozens 3 goals came from playing on the Kid line.  Yesterday's EN goal was a PK goal.  The OT Dallas goal was with Tage and Dahlin.  He did get the first goal of the game vs the Ducks and was assisted by Boosh and Dahlin.  Not sure what line he was on at the time.  

Cozens is getting goals and points on any line and on the PP/PK.   I suspect he would be over 20 goals already if he played on another line.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I like his game.  He is an upgrade and he fits in on the ice and in the locker room.  

I think this is the totality of it.  

He’s a serviceable upgrade over the borderline NHL talent that was there previously.  He’s veteran enough to have expectation regarding what is going to happen on the ice.  He has sufficient talent to keep up with the game.

He wasn’t considered a core player of an excellent Col team, and didn’t work well enough in Min to get playing time.

Its hard to argue statistically that he’s a better player than Hinostroza.  But he seems to fit better, which makes him more effective, for whatever reason.

I like what we’ve gotten out of him to date, and certainly wouldn’t complain if he were resigned, but I still consider him one of the more replaceable players on the roster right now.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I am not sure that any of Cozens 3 goals came from playing on the Kid line.  Yesterday's EN goal was a PK goal.  The OT Dallas goal was with Tage and Dahlin.  He did get the first goal of the game vs the Ducks and was assisted by Boosh and Dahlin.  Not sure what line he was on at the time.  

Cozens is getting goals and points on any line and on the PP/PK.   I suspect he would be over 20 goals already if he played on another line.  

Will go back & double check, but thought that one was right after a penalty kill.

31 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think this is the totality of it.  

He’s a serviceable upgrade over the borderline NHL talent that was there previously.  He’s veteran enough to have expectation regarding what is going to happen on the ice.  He has sufficient talent to keep up with the game.

He wasn’t considered a core player of an excellent Col team, and didn’t work well enough in Min to get playing time.

Its hard to argue statistically that he’s a better player than Hinostroza.  But he seems to fit better, which makes him more effective, for whatever reason.

I like what we’ve gotten out of him to date, and certainly wouldn’t complain if he were resigned, but I still consider him one of the more replaceable players on the roster right now.

He plays C.  Hinostroza doesn't.  Asplund doesn't well enough.  And Krebs didn't well enough early in the year. 

His playing C effectively allowed Mittestadt to move to W.  And that is why he's been a fixture in the lineup.

His being younger than Hinostroza allows him to stay in the team's plans beyond this season, though likely not in the LLT plans. 

Does anyone else always say Tyson “Yost” in their head when they read his name? No? 

Ok

Can I also toot my own horn that I’m like the only guy here who said Mittelstadt could and should be moved to wing and would be better there? 

Consider it well tooted.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NAF said:

One of the main issues I had with Botterill was his inability to find solid depth pieces for cheap. How many mid-late round picks did we give up for guys like Frolik, Miller, Beaulieu, etc.? Props to Adams and his staff for finding Jost and paying nothing for him. 

A lot easier to find a guy capable of playing 3C when you actually have a guy playing 2C. 

You know, like, not Marcus Johansson 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Does anyone else always say Tyson “Yost” in their head when they read his name? No? 

Ok

Can I also toot my own horn that I’m like the only guy here who said Mittelstadt could and should be moved to wing and would be better there? 

Consider it well tooted.

Yes, it looks like it should be Yoest not Joest.

But, pretty sure you weren't the only one wanting Mittelstadt moved to W.  (Yours truly was one of the few that wanted him to stay at C.  D'oh!  Well at least until he was having issues there this season.  Did eventually hop on board that bandwagon, but never got onboard the punt him into the sun bandwagon.)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, it looks like it should be Yoest not Joest.

But, pretty sure you weren't the only one wanting Mittelstadt moved to W.  (Yours truly was one of the few that wanted him to stay at C.  D'oh!  Well at least until he was having issues there this season.  Did eventually hop on board that bandwagon, but never got onboard the punt him into the sun bandwagon.)

Nah, I’m definitely the only one in the world’s history who said it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ok

Consider it well tooted.

Yes

I say/read it that way everytime. Going to continue to do that, too 

Sounds better that way anyway 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.