What has Tyson Jost meant/done for the team?

LGR4GM

Honestly when he was acquired my response was just "ok meh whatever" but in the last month he's really come into his own on this team. The reason for this thread is because it appears that Jost's style meshes well with what Mitts and VO do. That line went from dear lord trade Mitts and VO to hey they aren't bad at all. I feel like Jost is the biggest variable because he has allowed Mitts to slide to wing (he's a winger for me now) and has allowed Olofsson to default back to his sniper role. Jost is better Zemgus impo where he can skate fast, take the body, dig pucks out, but also has some soft hands and an okay shot. 

I know we often put them as the 3rd line listed but in reality I think we have something more like this happening. 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch 

JJP - Cozens - Quinn OR Mitts - Jost - Oloffson

Zemgus - Krebs - Okposo

We have no real 4th line but we have 2 second lines that depending on the night seem to go off at different times. I think Jost being able to be an effective center for Mitts and VO is the reason why. Thoughts on Jost's play?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

It is a small sample size but I am all for re-signing him.

He is a versatile player that can move up and down the bottom six. He hustles his butt off and plays on the right side of the puck defensively.

As a former first rounder, he has some skill, while being the conscience on that line.

His personality seems like a good fit after watching his interview.

He’s been cast aside by two organizations now, he’s realizing that the expectations of him as a 2C may have been high, but there is role to be carved out for him on the right team.

Jost, Krebs, Asplund, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund. The battle for 3-4C will be interesting.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It is a small sample size but I am all for re-signing him.

He is a versatile player that can move up and down the middle six. He hustles his butt off and plays on the right side of the puck defensively.

As a former first rounder, he has some skill, while being the conscience on that line.

His personality seems like a good fit after watching his interview.

He’s been cast aside by two organizations now, he’s realizing that the expectations of him as a 2C may have been high, but there is role to be carved out for him on the right team.

Jost, Krebs, Asplund, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund. The battle for 3-4C will be interesting.

And I could see any of these guys transitioning to wing minus jost who imo is a center... 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think he's a developing Jochen Hecht and I'm fine with that.

Hecht is a really good comparison.  He's a little smaller but faster.  Maybe not as good defensively but as good offensively. He does the dirty things that Middelstadt isn't good at and really helps that line. Fantastic free pick up.  

• Like (+1) 3

This season the plan was to play the kids. Given that, 'Space mostly agreed they needed at minimum a goalie to support Anderson (Comrie), a vet defensive RHD (Boushh), and a 3/4C who could win faceoffs and play defensively.... Jost is not that player.

But what Jost is is an active, two-way center who can carry the puck (a bit) who allowed everyone to fit into their proper place. Mitts can take draws, but get out on the wing where he belongs. Krebs gets slotted onto Okposo's line to be an energy guy and hone his craft. The kids get to be a Kids line. VO gets to be a 3W and find soft spots from which to snipe. Asplund is the odd one out, but now you can likely stick him anywhere in the bottom 6 for a few games and not worry about it. Hino... well, Rochester. But Hino can go on either wing if someone goes out long-term.

Jost is like a rug that really ties the room together. Wrong idiom. Jost is like a Lando Calrissian. You don't trust him when he first arrives because of his shady waivery past. But in the next movie, he provides a safeguard if Harrison Ford doesn't want to do the flick. You've got a pilot for the Falcon, he gets to have redemption for his betrayal, and he also allows Han to get all silly and execute a love story that was set up in the middle film.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Why do you say that... his speed screams wing... I want to see him better two way for him to be a center though I could see him fitting either place...

He was tried a bit on wing and he looked out of sorts.

Maybe his time with KO and Girgs will show him how to play wing as a bottom six player. If he wants to crack the middle six it may have to be at wing.

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Honestly when he was acquired my response was just "ok meh whatever" but in the last month he's really come into his own on this team. The reason for this thread is because it appears that Jost's style meshes well with what Mitts and VO do. That line went from dear lord trade Mitts and VO to hey they aren't bad at all. I feel like Jost is the biggest variable because he has allowed Mitts to slide to wing (he's a winger for me now) and has allowed Olofsson to default back to his sniper role. Jost is better Zemgus impo where he can skate fast, take the body, dig pucks out, but also has some soft hands and an okay shot. 

I know we often put them as the 3rd line listed but in reality I think we have something more like this happening. 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch 

JJP - Cozens - Quinn OR Mitts - Jost - Oloffson

Zemgus - Krebs - Okposo

We have no real 4th line but we have 2 second lines that depending on the night seem to go off at different times. I think Jost being able to be an effective center for Mitts and VO is the reason why. Thoughts on Jost's play?

What Jost did, as you mention, was allow Mittelstadt to move to the position both he and Granato expected him to play this year.  Asplund was unable to force him to W as he's become a W himself and Krebs wasn't ready for middle 6 C duty either at the beginning of the year.  So Mittelstadt ended up in a role above what he should've been out of necessity- the story of his career pre-December of this year & Olofsson couldn't di what he does best as there was typically nobody to get him the puck.

Not sure what Jost's ceiling is.  It very well could be 3C as he doesn't seem to have the passing nor shot of the rest of the players in the top 9 but he does have a reasonable 200' game.

Have wondered if the plan for next year is to flip Krebs & Jost or if it is to keep the lines the way they are and let all 4 continue to jell.  Really expect the answer to that will come down to whether Okposo comes back.  If he's back, don't #### with a good thing.  If not, expect we'll see them experiment w/ moving Krebs tenaciousness & playmaking between Mitts & Victor to see if they can be a true 2nd line to go along w/ what will hopefully be another true 2nd line in the Kid Line.

Then Jost & Girgensons would make up 2/3's of the "checking line" likely w/ Asplund, Kulich, or a veteran FA.

But would disagree w/ you about having 2 - 2nd lines.  At present the Sabres have 2 GOOD 3rd lines.  Neither has demonstrated an extended stretch of successfully playing as the 2nd line.  Though expect Granato is close to using the Jost line as the 2nd line to get the Kids Line rolling again.

And would put the Sabres 4th line up against the old Aisles 4th line or any other 4th line.  They are near the top in the league in that role.  So, would agree they could/should be considered more than just a 4th line.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Tyson Jost draft profile.

Some leadership qualities in him too, he was captain of his BCHL team and of Team Canada’s U18 team

https://thehockeywriters.com/tyson-jost-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

As I was told with Reinhart, if he hasn't captained in the NHL he isn't a leader. 

Yes some of that sentence is tongue and cheek 

• Haha (+1) 1

He has the talent, skill and decision-making ability of a legit NHL forward. That's a good start.

He's the kind of Beane/Adams humble character who seems to fit the team's chemistry. This, IMHO, is super important.

He's a center who can reasonably slide between the second and fourth lines. Very important and we might take it for granted now, but when we were a bottom-feeder we would have pined with wide, moist eyes over an equivalent player on another team.

He makes his line better. I haven't looked to see what's avaliable for other line combos he's been invovled in, but the Mitts, Jost, VO line speaks for itself.

KA would be a fool not to sign, or to trade, Jost. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Jost is the biggest variable because he has allowed Mitts to slide to wing (he's a winger for me now) and has allowed Olofsson to default back to his sniper role.

From a functional standpoint I see Jost and Mitts as sharing the role of center on that line.  You see both of them lugging the mail up ice, backchecking like a center does, etc.  But there's a natural chemistry between them in that they don't step on each others' toes or leave gaps.  What it has done is the opposite of moving Tage to center:  Where Tage is best away from the boards, I think Mitts actually excels along the boards.  He's been getting steadily more physical and hard to knock off his pins.  Knowing that he doesn't have the responsibility of being center seems to have freed him up to do what he's actually good at.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I think he's a developing Jochen Hecht and I'm fine with that.

Yes.  This.  Just give him 55 and be done with it.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ... said:

He's a center who can reasonably slide between the second and fourth lines. Very important and we might take it for granted now, but when we were a bottom-feeder we would have pined with wide, moist eyes over an equivalent player on another team.

This used to be Eakin.  Think about the upgrade Tyson is over Cody.

• Like (+1) 2

One of the main issues I had with Botterill was his inability to find solid depth pieces for cheap. How many mid-late round picks did we give up for guys like Frolik, Miller, Beaulieu, etc.? Props to Adams and his staff for finding Jost and paying nothing for him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

We’ve come a long way baby!

Watching the Power goal song video, you can see how much has changed even from the start of this season.  Jost for Sheahan/Bjork/Vinnie, Clague for Fitz, UPL playing well after Comrie went down, etc.

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

DEVELOPING.

As a 22 year old NHL rookie Hecht put up 34 points.  Jost is soon to be 25, in his 6th year in the NHL, and has a whopping career high of 26 points which was 4 years ago.  I would say he has reached his peak and is done “developing”.   I guess he could be a late bloomer, and develop into a solid 40-45 point a year guy, but I wouldn’t bet the house on it. 

Edited by LabattBlue

I think Jost has given the team flexibility down the middle that they haven't had in a long time.

His ability to play up and down the lineup could prove invaluable going forward.

His presence will also allow for the continued proper development of draft picks. No need to rush anyone into the NHL before they're ready. 

The C spine hasn't looked this good in Buffalo in a long time.

Not just on paper but the on ice product as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.