Fixing the PP

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres are 3 for 27 in the last 9 games on the PP.  That’s 11.1%. 

Obviously teams have adjusted to try to take Tage away.  His last PP goal was 1/7 against Minn.  

The PP has become to predictable and the passing to slow.  I loved Dallas’ set play with Benn going to the corner of the net.  I’d also like to see more East-Wedt passing to get the PK moving and honestly more shots to create scrambles around the net.  

• Like (+1) 1

Start having Cozens shoot rather than reflexively passing away from the high slot to Thompson or Dahlin.  If Tuch & Skinner know that's coming they can crash for rebounds.  When defenses start trying to take that away Thompson's 1 timer will start working again.

Would also bump Skinner to the 2nd unit bringing up Quinn, but after the Kreuger years that's a non-starter.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

As I've said before...

Leave Tage in his spot, and let teams try to take him away. Put VO on the opposing half boards, and let him fire away unopposed. 

PP2, repeat with Quinn, and another sniper... Not sure who though.

I agree.  If they adjust the defense to take away one sniper, we'll have another on the other side.  Even if VO isn't over there, if Thompson is in his "spot" and the defense shifts that way, it should open up something/someone else.  Hasn't Ovechkin been in the same spot on the PP for 10-15 years?  And it still works.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

As I've said before...

Leave Tage in his spot, and let teams try to take him away. Put VO on the opposing half boards, and let him fire away unopposed. 

PP2, repeat with Quinn, and another sniper... Not sure who though.

The problem w/ having 2 snipers out there, 1 on either side, is the PP becomes extremely static.  And a good PK can take those passes away.

The problem they had early in the year was the PP was very sstatic.  They started adding movement & that pass to Thompson once the PK had shifted away from Tage. 

They need to start having other guys fake the pass to Thompson & either shoot or pass away from him and get that shot off.  The PP is way too predictable now.

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The problem w/ having 2 snipers out there, 1 on either side, is the PP becomes extremely static.  And a good PK can take those passes away.

The problem they had early in the year was the PP was very sstatic.  They started adding movement & that pass to Thompson once the PK had shifted away from Tage. 

They need to start having other guys fake the pass to Thompson & either shoot or pass away from him and get that shot off.  The PP is way too predictable now.

I agree that it can become too static, but Tage is a good skater and VO is a good enough skater that they can create some movement and still have multiple guys who can shoot on the ice at the same time.  They don't both necessarily have to "park" themselves in their spot waiting for the pass and one-timer.  They can move around a bit to create some movement in the defense, and then one or the other can creep into position for the one-timer when the defense allows it.  If the defense doesn't allow it, both Thompson and VO are capable of shooting well and scoring while on the move.  Thompson has been doing it all seasons and VO has been doing it quite a bit of late.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

The Sabres need that Andreychuk/Vanek type of guy to stand just outside the crease and take abuse while screening the goalie.

I am in this camp.  Aside from screens, tip-ins, and rebounds, this can break down the discipline of the defencive formation.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

The Sabres need that Andreychuk/Vanek type of guy to stand just outside the crease and take abuse while screening the goalie.

Maybe We could get back Reinhart. He did that a lot. Not as much as Andy and Vanek, but quite a bit. And pretty good at it. Or maybe get Power to be that guy 😂

On 1/24/2023 at 1:25 PM, Eleven said:

I had not thought of this, but it is true.  The Sabres rarely have a guy parked in front of the net to screen the goalie.  Because of this, they need an almost perfect shot to score.  Many of the rockets off of Tage's and Olofsson's sticks have been those types of shots, but defenses are adjusting take that away, so perhaps putting a big body in front of the net to screen the goalie will allow some less than perfect shots to find their way in, or to result in a rebound with a guy right there to put it home.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.