GDT - Sabres @ Blues - January 24, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

Just now, CTJoe said:

Nope it doesn't but he's been garbage this year.  Near the bottom in every goalie category. Not sure I understand the love of Comrie nor the hate for UPL, but can't understand insanity I suppose.

I’m sorry you think you have all the answers after looking at small sample sizes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I’m sorry you think you have all the answers after looking at small sample sizes. 

Maybe not but I don't need to "see if he can improve" when one goalie keeps winning making big time saves when needed and the other is putting up great numbers and winning as well.

How many goals are the Sabres down in the first 10 minutes if Comrie was in net against the Stars? Assuredly more than 1.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Dahlin was a mess defensively for his first 2 years at least.

Not his rookie year.  He slumped some at the end of the year as he ran out of gas but he was VERY solid in both ends.  He was historically good offensively but was nowhere close to a disaster most of the season.  

11 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

UPL 13-5-0-1  3.31 GAA .899 SV% (but after a rough start he has a .915 SV% and is 10-3 over his last 13)

Anderson 8-6-0-2  2.73 GAA  .917 SV%

Comrie 4-8-0 3.87 GAA .883 SV%

Why would anyone ever want to see Comrie play again for the Sabres? He's the main reason we're not in a playoff spot right now.  Nice guy...sure...quality goalie - sure doesn't look like it

5 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

Nope it doesn't but he's been garbage this year.  Near the bottom in every goalie category. Not sure I understand the love of Comrie nor the hate for UPL, but can't understand insanity I suppose.

1 minute ago, CTJoe said:

no need to apologize

I'd like to see Comrie get a start. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe not but I don't need to "see if he can improve" when one goalie keeps winning making big time saves when needed and the other is putting up great numbers and winning as well.

How many goals are the Sabres down in the first 10 minutes if Comrie was in net against the Stars? Assuredly more than 1.

We don't know because he's barely played since November. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

You overlook the fact that many of Comrie’s losses were when they were missing at least 2 and sometimes 3 of their top 6 D, including Samuelsson for an extended period. He started the season well when he had a healthy D in front of him, as UPL does now.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I know some people don't subscribe to the notion but UPL is a clutch player. 

I wouldn't say I'm completely confident in him yet but UPL has really shown a propensity for clutch saves. 

This is all a team can really ask for from their goalie imo.

He seems to be clutch when we need him to be, he's definitely growing on me. I really hope he can man the fort while Levi gets here or becomes the man himself.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I ran the numbers of each goalie during the defense-injury and 8-game losing streak madness... I don't know which thread it was anymore. But Comrie was the one who suffered most from the injuries/streak. He hasn't had chance to play with Samuelsson or the team when it's been playing well.

Comrie will have that shield up. We've gotta give him more time!

(probably next season after Anderson retires and UPL gets more consistent.)

Fair but how much of that 8 game losing streak was on Comrie's shoulders vs. the rest of the team??

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd like to see Comrie get a start. 

Not sure how he's looking in practices but I would think he would be very motivated to play well against Winnipeg assuming the team shows up ready to play another good road win for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

Fair but how much of that 8 game losing streak was on Comrie's shoulders vs. the rest of the team??

The defense was decimated.  At the very start of the season (through the first western swing) he looked very good.  I'm of the camp that his stats are depressed by the crappy-ass defense.  But at the same time, I want to stick with the hot hand (UPL and a dose of Anderson once a week).

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Turning on the Avs-Caps to watch the 3rd period

This is the way. I'll join you after an episode of Bojack. Yes, I am at least 5 years behind pop culture. Yes, I'm OK with that.

4 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

The defense was an injured Boushh, Bryson, Fitz, Clague, Dahlin playing 27+, and Power but not the Power we're seeing now. Comrie's goal support was 2 goals per game in his losses (with his best support coming in that awful Eichel hat trick game v. Vegas). It was very team-centric. Was he looking dominant? No, but UPL is  getting 2.5 goals for in his losses. It's all too small a sample size though, UPL or Comrie. The key is getting Comrie some time with the full Sabres defense and attacking offense, because he'll be on the team next season. If he can take over for Anderson and the team has confidence in him....  then the Sabres will look very solid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

Just finished watching the game, and it turned out pretty much like I expected.  

I wrote this last night’s game thread.  

Tomorrow’s game is even bigger then today’s. We need continue our momentum and put ourselves in position for a winning road trip. St. Louis is a beatable mediocre team, but we are on the 2nd night of a back to back.  The Sabres need to come out strong and get a lead in case the legs go in the 3rd.

I was impressed with the team’s jump in the first, but by mid way in the second you could see the legs dying.  KO’s 2 on 1 was the slowest 2 on 1 I think I’ve ever witnessed. 

Still a strong regulation road win against a team desperate for points.  TnT’s line was  spectacular in the first.  I really liked Stl uniforms and UPL let in sone softies but made big saves to help seal the game.  DG must be very proud of the boys.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.