GDT - Sabres @ Blues - January 24, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Tough back to back but they are facing a significantly worse team than Dallas so that should help.

And St Louis coming off 2 rest days, closing out a 7-game homestand. Their season is hanging by a thread despite being in a very congested Central (only 5 points separate teams 3 MIN- 6 STL) but unlike the Sabres, the Blues don't have the games in hand vs. their competitors. The Blues need this game.

Which will make it all the merrier when the Blues can't handle Buffalo's speed and lose 5-3 (after the Sabres enter the third up 4-1).

• Like (+1) 2

I have seen a lot of these Sabres at Blues roads games, many on road B2B's, and they don't usually have a happy ending.  

Tonight will be different.  Hoping the boys went straight to bed last night, no chasing cowgirls and no drinking Lone Star.   

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Pimlach said:

I have seen a lot of these Sabres at Blues roads games, many on road B2B's, and they don't usually have a happy ending.  

Tonight will be different.  Hoping the boys went straight to bed last night, no chasing cowgirls and no drinking Lone Star.   

Usually the games in STL end like this:  "So much for my happy ending..."

Tonight it will end like this: "One Little Victory..."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I know it's a throwaway, joke ending. But I do wonder about professional athlete behavior in 2023 and if the old stereotypes still (or ever did) ring true. My guess is that the night before a second game in two days on the road there are no shenanigans. I am not saying that a lot or most young male pro athletes don't have their fun. But last night? I doubt it. There's too much money at stake. These guys are all CEOs of their personal corporations. Could be wrong of course.

• Like (+1) 1

Tage Thompson revenge game incoming.

I've noticed that teams are making a very visible effort to contain Tage on the PP when he's lined up on the wall. I can't remember the last time he's gotten a clean one-timer off. If I were in charge of the power play I'd roll VO out on the same unit. If the other team is going to have someone stapled to Tage that should let VO get some extra space to tee off.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I know it's a throwaway, joke ending. But I do wonder about professional athlete behavior in 2023 and if the old stereotypes still (or ever did) ring true. My guess is that the night before a second game in two days on the road there are no shenanigans. I am not saying that a lot or most young male pro athletes don't have their fun. But last night? I doubt it. There's too much money at stake. These guys are all CEOs of their personal corporations. Could be wrong of course.

Yes, I was joking about old hockey (and sports) folklore, which came about for a reason.  

I think it varies from player to player. 

This is were good team leaders come in, and that is not always the guys wearing a letter.  

• Like (+1) 1

Our young team has had trouble bouncing back on back to back games without rest. Especially after a tough game. This will be tough on the road. Hard to predict. Really have to bring the energy. I don’t think it will be easy to get a W. If we do that would be another step in maturity. 

Would love to see Tage get a goal and get out of his funk. He’s been solid setting others up though, which is great to see. But all the lines gotta bring it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don’t think you’re wrong at all. So much of today’s sports medicine practice revolves around recovery and getting and keeping players ready to meet the grind. No time for shenanigans anymore. It’s get on the plane and push the electrolyte infused fluids. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Our young team has had trouble bouncing back on back to back games without rest. Especially after a tough game. This will be tough on the road. Hard to predict. Really have to bring the energy. I don’t think it will be easy to get a W. If we do that would be another step in maturity. 

Would love to see Tage get a goal and get out of his funk. He’s been solid setting others up though, which is great to see. But all the lines gotta bring it. 

UPL’s turn to steal a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I have no problem watching her songs since I think she is a smokeshow

Agreed.  

Also ironic that I’m reading and commenting on Avril while waiting for a meeting in Napanee no less.  

Avril watch is on Interested George Clooney GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I suspect they travelled last night and some guys may have had a celebratory beer on the plane. They know the stakes and need as much rest as possible on a B2B.

Overall, I don’t think this generation looks to get plastered as much as I used to, whenever I had free time. Elite athletes probably drink even less than the average person.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought this would be a really tough 4 game stretch and if we could get out 2-2 I’d be happy. 

We’ve struggled in back to backs and dense schedules. I think so much of that comes from all of our production coming from our top line. But we’ve had production from basically everybody but our top line. A lot of player stepping up, we’re moving Tage around a ton. 

We might be able to get through this stretch. 

Let’s go!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I suspect they travelled last night and some guys may have had a celebratory beer on the plane. They know the stakes and need as much rest as possible on a B2B.

Overall, I don’t think this generation looks to get plastered as much as I used to, whenever I had free time. Elite athletes probably drink even less than the average person.

As a guy who used to live at the Olympic training center in a different sport a lot of this is true and not true at the same time. 

Some athletes are good at partying and performing at a super high level. Some aren’t. Most elite athletes when it’s time to drink drink way more than the average person. 

A lot of professional and personal repression goes into being an elite athlete. Haha. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

As a guy who used to live at the Olympic training center in a different sport a lot of this is true and not true at the same time. 

Some athletes are good at partying and performing at a super high level. Some aren’t. Most elite athletes when it’s time to drink drink way more than the average person. 

A lot of professional and personal repression goes into being an elite athlete. Haha. 

Yeah, I think of Ovie after winning the Cup, probably drunk for two weeks.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm hoping the excitement for Power's goal will carry over and give them a little boost. TNT is commanding so much respect. That's why Power was so open. So even though TNT didn't score, it might not have happened if it had been someone else. So in essence it was a TNT goal. LET'S GO SABRES. 

Edited by sabresouth
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.