GDT: 1/23/2023 🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Dallas Stars 8:30 pm ET, MSG & WGR

Doohickie

Tomorrow’s game is even bigger then today’s. We need continue our momentum and put ourselves in position for a winning road trip. St. Louis is a beatable mediocre team, but we are on the 2nd night of a back to back.  The Sabres need to come out strong and get a lead in case the legs go in the 3rd.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

The boys were a bit keystone cop in that first. Overcame that and played a terrific game the rest of the way. Nice to see Power get one there. I think I’ve got more enjoyment out of this team this first half of the season than I have for the last decade. TYSabres.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Tage gets going again and we get goals from all 4 lines and the defense, all because *I* will be at the game.  Go Sabres!

image.thumb.png.5aa447bc1f84b6a7ba0b16449ab3638f.png

Tage got going with playmaking and we got goals from 2 lines sort of (VO had a goal with TT and Skinner). Well done sir!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Danny Briere wasn’t terrified of the puck at any point.  Again, I’d love to be wrong.  But I don’t think I am.  

What the heck does that even mean?

You will be wrong. Reminds me of what people were saying about Tage.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

He’s about to turn 25.  If he was going to figure it out he’d have figured it out.  

Mitts has somehow personified the Peter Principle and the Sunk cost Fallacy in one dude.  Which I suppose can only happen in pro sports (over here with our salary caps and mandated parity). 

Happy to be proven wrong.  Don’t think I will be.  

Did you watch this game tonight?  

Did you? Mittelstadt was one of the best players on the ice tonight for them and broke up a sure goal by Robertson with an empty net staring him in the face with a great stock on D. Nice give and go with Dahlin off the faceoff and gets the assist and was generally all over the ice tonight.

If you aren't seeing it's you have to be trying really hard to not see it right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Did you? Mittelstadt was one of the best players on the ice tonight for them and broke up a sure goal by Robertson with an empty net staring him in the face with a great stock on D. Nice give and go with Dahlin off the faceoff and gets the assist and was generally all over the ice tonight.

If you aren't seeing it's you have to be trying really hard to not see it right now.

His value will never be higher. 👍

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

That's IT.  As soon as it turns nice in Winnipeg, like in July 2042, I'm coming up there...

Bring the bug spray.

12 hours ago, Stads said:

Krebs has figured it out. Such a smart hockey player

I’ve really liked what this kid is turning into. Even if the offence doesn’t come (I think there’s more there) he’s just been a dog on a bone. Hasn’t even played 100 NHL games yet. Looking forward to seeing where he is after 200.

10 hours ago, sabresouth said:

Please, Please management,  go get some key upgrades at the deadline.  This team can make the playoffs with just a little help in the right places. 

Not against adding, but I don’t think this team needs any upgrades to make the playoffs.

Right now they are on a 17/8/3 run over the past 2 months with the current roster. Keep that up and that gets us 99 points.

10 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

He’s about to turn 25.  If he was going to figure it out he’d have figured it out.  

Mitts has somehow personified the Peter Principle and the Sunk cost Fallacy in one dude.  Which I suppose can only happen in pro sports (over here with our salary caps and mandated parity). 

Happy to be proven wrong.  Don’t think I will be.  

Did you watch this game tonight?  

He won a lot of board battles, set up a goal, was +1, had zero giveaways, 1 takeaway, backchecked and forechecked hard, and dominated shot share at nearly 70 per cent on the road against a very good hockey team.

It doesn’t really sound like you were watching in a “happy to to be proven wrong” way.

Because if you were, there was lots to like about his game tonight. Has been for a few weeks now.

Edited by dudacek

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Bring the bug spray.

I’ve really liked what his kid is turning into. Even if the offence doesn’t come (I think there’s more there) he’s just been a dog on a bone. Hasn’t even played 100 NHL games left. Looking forward to seeing where he is after 200.

Not against adding, but I don’t think this team needs any upgrades to make the playoffs.

Right now they are on a 17/8/3 run over the past 2 months with the current roster. Keep that up and that gets us 99 points.

He won a lot of board battles, set up a goal, was +1, had zero giveaways, 1 takeaway, backchecked and forechecked hard, and dominated shot share at nearly 70 per cent on the road against a very good hockey team.

It doesn’t really sound like you were watching in a “happy to to be proven wrong” way.

Because if you were there was lots to like about his game tonight. Has been for a few weeks now.

Very well said!  He did a lot of little things.  Yes, he hasn't been on the score sheet much in the last 5 games, but he's done just about everything you can ask otherwise.  Sometimes you just go with what is provided, and tonight that was drawing in to leave Power there for the shot.   He played a hell of a game.  Having Olofsson already up to his near career high, having nearly 5 players over 20 goals, already is a god send.  Dahlin is going to hit 20 this year.  It's just been such a revitalizing force for this market.  Just keep pushing boys!

@Thorny paid extra attention to Quinn’s positioning tonight.

Like I thought, he typically lined up as a left winger for faceoffs and manned the left boards for breakouts and defensive zone coverage.

As @Taro T pointed out, he also typically changed for right wingers Okposo and Tuch 🤷

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Are Gifs Safe GIF by Originals

Only if you wear a mask.

1 hour ago, Stads said:

Tage got going with playmaking and we got goals from 2 lines sort of (VO had a goal with TT and Skinner). Well done sir!

Not really what I predicted but It was fantastic to see them win in person!

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Mitts is an ink blot test:  You see what you want to see.  I see a guy who was jerked around and put in too many positions to fail who's been reinventing is game and is finally making progress.  He's a good, but somewhat flawed, player who is clawing out a role on this team.  He may figure it out or he may be the next Hinostroza who gets moved/waived to make room for the next prospect.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If I hear any more trade Olofsson talk I'm going to have a conniption. Just stop it! He's a sniper who scores goals.  

I've noticed this:  Olofsson is outstanding getting his one-timer off while on the rush.  He had one tonight (a thing of beauty) and and one against Anaheim (off the Lyubushkin feed).  A lot of players can crank a one-time when they're set up for it; he skates hard to his spot, sets up while still skating and gets it off before the goalie can even react to his presence.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

One thing that stuck out to me tonight:  The Sabres have some BIG players now.  Tage, Tuch, Muel, Power, are all monsters, and Cozens and Dahlin play bigger than they are. 

I watched Tage a lot, considering his lack of goals lately, and he works hard, very hard.  That line gets hemmed in their own zone now and again but when they break out they quickly flip the ice and you can see the panic skating from the other team.  His goals have dropped off but he's still distributing the puck like a baller.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think they call it willful ignorance.  

No one is arguing that had a lousy start of the season, but since Mitts moved to wing with Jost taking over at center, that lines has been our second best line.  VO has scored in 9 in his last 10 games and Casey has 8 assists in those same games and according to Marty Biron they are all primary assists. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Dunleavy has gotten better.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

I know Casey is the current whipping boy, and I know that he still has some pretty big development needs, but he is pretty good on the boards and makes more happen than some are willing to admit. 

Since being put on Jost's wing he's been pretty solid. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.