GDT: 1/23/2023 🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Dallas Stars 8:30 pm ET, MSG & WGR

Doohickie

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Dunleavy has gotten better.

DD still can’t keep up with the action and this goal is another example of many. He goes from Power off the post to now here’s Tage Thompson, far side, scores. Huh? No mention of the play by Tuch to get Thompson the puck after Power hit the post and no mention of Power actually scoring until after the play. From his description alone, you’d think Thompson scored the goal. He’s constantly playing catchup. If you’re watching on TV you can fill in the blanks yourself, but the radio audience is left in the dark until after the fact. Sabres need a trained, radio PxP guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The way teams are figuring out to play the Sabres is to just forecheck the heck out of them. Dallas did that quite well. We really have trouble getting free from that and clearing the zone. And we have to cut down on the turnovers. 

Talent wise, whether it happens this year or in the off season, along with another strong defenseman with size who can skate; and it really could use a physical, two-way forward, with size, who can score, forecheck, and play defense. If we added those two spots and if the rest of the team developed as expected … this team could be a genuine contender in another 1-2 yrs. 

I like the centers - still young and developing. And a few on the way.  

• Agree 1

Didn't see the game, but watching the highlights, Samuelson looked like a bum. Seemed he was on the ice ,or turning it over, for all those insane chances on Anderson in the 1st, and also for both Dallas goals. Hate to say that because his absence was clearly a major factor in that eight game losing skid earlier in the season.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

One thing that stuck out to me tonight:  The Sabres have some BIG players now.  Tage, Tuch, Muel, Power, are all monsters, and Cozens and Dahlin play bigger than they are. 

I watched Tage a lot, considering his lack of goals lately, and he works hard, very hard.  That line gets hemmed in their own zone now and again but when they break out they quickly flip the ice and you can see the panic skating from the other team.  His goals have dropped off but he's still distributing the puck like a baller.

Another player on that line who has demonstrated that he is more than a goal scorer is Skinner. He already has 27 assists. He made the quick pass to Olof who jumped into the open space when he scored. And as you noted it was Tage who made the pass from tight quarters to Power to end the game. It's not much of a surprise that our prolific top line is going to be the center of attention of the opposition. When option A isn't available, they are able to go to option B to contribute. In this game the two players on that line got the primary assists in this win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

Didn't see the game, but watching the highlights, Samuelson looked like a bum. Seemed he was on the ice ,or turning it over, for all those insane chances on Anderson in the 1st, and also for both Dallas goals. Hate to say that because his absence was clearly a major factor in that eight game losing skid earlier in the season.

i think "bum" is too harsh, but, by my eye test, he definitely seemed to be on the ice for an inordinate number of dangerous scoring chances.

sure enough, when i looked at the natural stat trick advanced summary, they logged him as 9 high-danger chances against (even-strength) and 3 HDC for (even strength) when he was on the ice. oof.

the  advanced stats also confirm what i'd seen about the cozens line -- that was a rough, rough night. not sure against whom they were skating, but they got sh1t pumped. and none of them got more than 9 minutes at ES.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, phil_soisson said:

He was slow last night.  Not a bum, but just seemed to be late to the play for some reason. 

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

i think "bum" is too harsh, but, by my eye test, he definitely seemed to be on the ice for an inordinate number of dangerous scoring chances.

sure enough, when i looked at the natural stat trick advanced summary, they logged him as 9 high-danger chances against (even-strength) and 3 HDC for (even strength) when he was on the ice. oof.

the  advanced stats also confirm what i'd seen about the cozens line -- that was a rough, rough night. not sure against whom they were skating, but they got sh1t pumped. and none of them got more than 9 minutes at ES.

Yeah,  The kids were a bit overwhelmed versus Dallas. Peterka had some offensive zone chances, Quinn was not doing much.  I watched Quail bail out of the forecheck and quickly get back on defense a few shifts - so he was trying hard to be responsible.   Which was smart actually.  

Cozens is having an amazing year considering he has to carry these two for 9-10 minutes a night at ES.  DG uses Cozens more in the 3rd period.  Last night he put him with 17-71 and also with 21-28 to get him more minutes and to take important face-offs. That tells me that 37 and 19 got some shelter time.  

Krebs is looking better on the PK lately, he is more decisive. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

DD still can’t keep up with the action and this goal is another example of many. He goes from Power off the post to now here’s Tage Thompson, far side, scores. Huh? No mention of the play by Tuch to get Thompson the puck after Power hit the post and no mention of Power actually scoring until after the play. From his description alone, you’d think Thompson scored the goal. He’s constantly playing catchup. If you’re watching on TV you can fill in the blanks yourself, but the radio audience is left in the dark until after the fact. Sabres need a trained, radio PxP guy. 

You really need to listen to other teams’ PBP guys.

Watch the Dallas feed. Same exact call of the goal. No mention of Tuch because they are still describing Power’s shot and Tuch’s play was a routine keep. And it took the color guy (who I really like) to even mention that it was Power.

Dan is fine. And do people still listen to the radio?😂

Edited by SwampD
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

The way teams are figuring out to play the Sabres is to just forecheck the heck out of them. Dallas did that quite well. We really have trouble getting free from that and clearing the zone. And we have to cut down on the turnovers. 

Talent wise, whether it happens this year or in the off season, along with another strong defenseman with size who can skate; and it really could use a physical, two-way forward, with size, who can score, forecheck, and play defense. If we added those two spots and if the rest of the team developed as expected … this team could be a genuine contender in another 1-2 yrs. 

I like the centers - still young and developing. And a few on the way.  

If you forecheck the heck out of any team, you will give them fits. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Watch the Dallas feed. Same exact call of the goal. No mention of Tuch because they are still describing Power’s shot and Tuch’s play was a routine keep. And it took the color guy (who I really like) to even mention that it was Power.

The fact that other PBP guys are just as bad or worse does nothing to improve DD’s standing. That DD was still describing Power’s shot while Tuch was making a key play to set up the winning goal only underscores the fact that he doesn’t keep up with the play. And the Thompson, far side, shoots, scores call, in addition to being misleading, reinforces that yet again. Radio listeners were clueless as to what actually transpired on the ice until after the fact. And yes, people still listen to radio. 

It’s not a big deal, but the Sabres should let DD play to his strength, which is feature reporting. PBP is just not something he’s good at.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you forecheck the heck out of any team, you will give them fits. 

Well, the best teams are able to overcome that and get free. They need to do better in breaking free and scoring on odd man rushes and that will slow down those. But when they are able to forecheck without risking much or getting burned, then it will continue. 

That’s the point. 🙄

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don't listen to the game on the radio.

On TV, Dan provides the requisite level of excitement for an exciting team. I'm enjoying his work.

1 hour ago, phil_soisson said:

Mule had a rough one last.

Anderson’s extraordinary goaltending last night also puts the lie to using save percentage as the be all end all for goaltending. It is valuable over time. But given how many chances we give up it’s a bit skewed. There is no substitute for video. 31 shots, 29 saves, but it felt like 3/4 of those saves were incredible scoring chances he took away. I doubt there has been a better single game performance by a goalie this year. 

32 minutes ago, SwampD said:

What do you mean by that?   It's a Sylvania!  circa 1966.  I listened to Bison's hockey games on it.   By the time the Sabres came around I had an AM/FM radio with an alarm clock.   Amazing stuff, man.  

image.png.e0810daee75085061f299073a09f013b.png

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The fact that other PBP guys are just as bad or worse does nothing to improve DD’s standing. That DD was still describing Power’s shot while Tuch was making a key play to set up the winning goal only underscores the fact that he doesn’t keep up with the play. And the Thompson, far side, shoots, scores call, in addition to being misleading, reinforces that yet again. Radio listeners were clueless as to what actually transpired on the ice until after the fact. And yes, people still listen to radio. 

It’s not a big deal, but the Sabres should let DD play to his strength, which is feature reporting. PBP is just not something he’s good at.

Do you listen to the radio?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.