Team types by scoring (chart)

carpandean

Been watching this for a while, but decided to share.  It tracks regulation goals for per game vs. regulation goals against per game (note: reverse axis, making upper-right the best.)  To me, what happens in OT/SO is different.  Anyway, we've been in about the same spot for a while now, but did dip a little below Edmonton and Boston on the GF side.

NHL-RGFvsRGA-20230119.thumb.jpg.8cc84ea2085491f4a1a8e26f0811a179.jpg

Boston is just a freak team.

Current chart:

NHL-RGFvsRGA-20230120.thumb.jpg.3428e59c61bf93ee86eb34ed21344726.jpg

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Almost didn’t see Boston. They are nearly literally off the chart. 

If they were, @carpandean would simply extend his axis.  As it is he sized the chart to capture the outliers.

35 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Good catch!  They fell off the bottom (2.28 RGF/GP.)  I'll have to adjust my axis.

...like that.

• Haha (+1) 4

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So using this chart, who usually wins the Stanley Cup? I'm assuming it'd be "dominant"? 

Logically, 'dominant' scores more than it gives up, so we probably didn't need a chart to tell us that they will go far.  I was more interested in the 'run-n-gun' vs 'boring', as they could both also be called 'balanced' (the middle box is really just balanced with average scoring for and against.)  Anyway, here's last year's final values, along with their playoff finish (thicker circle = went further):

1227235011_NHL-RGFvsRGA-2022-23-SeasonandPlayoffFinish.thumb.jpg.f69f27b21fc134ed2bdb803231a5efaf.jpg

What I really find interesting is that the run-n-gun quadrant is basically empty.  Will that happen every season as the league "tightens up" for the playoffs?

Side note: the cutoffs between quadrants are roughly the mean and median values, which have vary between 3.0 and 3.07.  I should just pick one - say, 3.0 - and stick with it, but then the asymmetry throws off the feng sui.

32 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anaheim?

Oops, they fell off the other axis (scoring against > 4.0.)  I'm tracking the min and max now, too, to avoid these embarrassing snafus.  I've posted an updated chart in the first post.

Edited by carpandean

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

Logically, 'dominant' scores more than it gives up, so we probably didn't need a chart to tell us that they will go far.  I was more interested in the 'run-n-gun' vs 'boring', as they could both also be called 'balanced' (the middle box is really just balanced with average scoring for and against.)  Anyway, here's last year's final values, along with their playoff finish (thicker circle = went further):

1227235011_NHL-RGFvsRGA-2022-23-SeasonandPlayoffFinish.thumb.jpg.f69f27b21fc134ed2bdb803231a5efaf.jpg

What I really find interesting is that the run-n-gun quadrant is basically empty.  Will that happen every season as the league "tightens up" for the playoffs?

Side note: the cutoffs between quadrants are roughly the mean and median values, which have vary between 3.0 and 3.07.  I should just pick one - say, 3.0 - and stick with it, but then the asymmetry throws off the feng sui.

Oops, they fell off the other axis (scoring against > 4.0.)  I'm tracking the min and max now, too, to avoid these embarrassing snafus.  I've posted an updated chart in the first post.

So, based solely on this awesome chart ... thanks by the way, we have all missed the charts ... the Sabres should win something like 7 - 2 today.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, carpandean said:

However, ultimately, it doesn't mean much as some of those top "dominant" teams made early playoff exits. So clearly, there is another missing component(s). 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

However, ultimately, it doesn't mean much as some of those top "dominant" teams made early playoff exits. So clearly, there is another missing component(s). 

True, but even if it were a perfect predictor, it wouldn't be useful on its own.  "See, coach, all we have to do to go far in the playoffs is score more and - I know it sounds crazy - get scored on less.  So, let's do that." 😁

9 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

So, based solely on this awesome chart ... thanks by the way, we have all missed the charts ... the Sabres should win something like 7 - 2 today.

Not far off! 👍

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.