GDT: Sabres vs (Fish Stick) Islanders, 1/19/23, 7pm, ESPN+ and MSG. Ryan Miller ceremony 6pm

PromoTheRobot

Just reading the thread for the first time.

Since nobody else seemed to notice during the game: fantastic 60-minute (and 12 second effort) by the Sabres.

They came hard and didn't let up despite a lot of frustration. They fought through the clutch-and-grab of a big physical shutdown team. They came from behind. They dominated territorially and beat a team they have to beat in the playoff race.

Highly entertaining hockey. Extremely high level of compete. Fitting result.

They've done it before this year. They might do it again.

i like this group.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Since nobody else seemed to notice during the game: fantastic 60-minute (and 12 second effort) by the Sabres.

They came hard and didn't let up despite a lot of frustration. They fought through the clutch-and-grab of a big physical shutdown team. They came from behind. They dominated territorially and beat a team they have to beat in the playoff race.

i like this group.

This team isn't small and it isn't weak. Their main issue is battle and learning that you have to do that every game, every shift, every play. 

FTR not saying you said they were weak just adding on. This team is big enough and has enough strength to battle with any team in this league, the just lack the maturity right now and the process of doing that consistently, demanding that consistently. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This team isn't small and it isn't weak. Their main issue is battle and learning that you have to do that every game, every shift, every play. 

FTR not saying you said they were weak just adding on. This team is big enough and has enough strength to battle with any team in this league, the just lack the maturity right now and the process of doing that consistently, demanding that consistently. 

Agreed. I think given they are icing 4 rookies on a regular basis, and 16 players with less than 270 NHL games played, the immaturity is understandable.

The way they are going to mature, to get better, is to play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

i like this group.

This could have been a 6-2 game if not for Sorokin and shot blocks.

5 hours ago, LTS said:

I did not watch the game last night but it's good to hear they were clearing the crease in at least one period. Before I'll buy into the theories you've posited I will need to see them do it against a team that didn't play the night before. I would expect a team on back to backs to lack a certain energy level by the end of the game.

But, in order to clear the crease against even tired opponents you have to adopt that strategy and so it's good to hear they were doing it. Hopefully it continues. Hopefully whatever motivation they used last night is something they can channel repeatedly. They need to find that way.

Well, no worries about you not buying into the theories as the guy that proposed them isn't fully bought in either. 😀

But the crease clearing was truly an on/off switch flipping.  They flat out weren't even looking over their shoulders at the guy standing on UPL's doorstep in the 2nd much less thinking about even getting w/in a sticks length of distance from him.

In the 3rd, they weren't even letting guys getting the crease then clearing them; they were engaging as soon as an Aisle got towards the low crease.  A couple of times the Aisle trying to go to the crease found himself in the far side faceoff circle by the time the Sabre D-man broke off contact.  It was awesome to see.

Really looking forward to tomorrow's game as the expectation is they'll be doing it all game.  (Now really wish the tix to that game get bought.  Thought there was a high enough price that there'd be no takers.  Guess again bright eyes.)  Will be trying to watch for it.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

NHL Scoring

7. Tage

22. Dahlin

28. Tuch

40. Skinner

50. Cozens

Now just imagine next year when JJP and Quinn aren't rookies. We might get 7 in the top 100. I excluded Power because I think he will get points but he isn't Dahlin. 

Hey! I am glad someone got that as an avatar... profile pic? Whatever we call them. 

They could quite possibly have 8 or even 9 in the top 100.

Somebody else has 10 points in the last 12 games along w/ at least 2 posts in the last 3 games too.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I’m not sure I agree on the strength side.  There is a lot of physical maturing still needed on this roster.  O agree with the rest.

I think the mental maturation would be sorely helped by adding a couple more “been there” guys like Tuch.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

This could have been a 6-2 game if not for Sorokin and shot blocks.

Great points. The goalie they played against was exceptional. Yet, this team continued to push hard and press. The Sabres of the previous few years would be deflated when faced with adversity. This team didn't falter. It kept pushing forward all game long. That's a good indication that there is internal leadership that keeps the unit mentally strong. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

i like this group.

The really do seem to “put it all together” for the games they deem of extra importance. We can only hope they circle out those games on the calendar to a greater frequency next season. It’s good to see they can up their game, once they see the 2 points-as-the-goal as just as important in a regular game, re- moving up the standings, I think we’ll see that more. Once they make the conscious shift from development being priority to results. Tea leaves say next season 

56 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not sure I agree on the strength side.  There is a lot of physical maturing still needed on this roster.  O agree with the rest.

I think the mental maturation would be sorely helped by adding a couple more “been there” guys like Tuch.

Tuch gets lambasted for his effort frequently in game day threads. He’s always the guy leading the charge when it’s a culture night 

I’m not saying the calling out of his effort is correct - in fact I generally disagree with it, it often seems way over the top for me and players ebb and flow - but there’s a noticeable shift certainly in his approach for the “big” games. I’d imagine this would serve us well in the playoffs. 

Re every day leadership - same as the guy who’s our best player. Dahlin. Game in, game out, to the tune of 25+ mins. We need more guys with his will, “been there”, or not 

That Dahlin and Tuch both provide leadership shows it can come in many forms 

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

This surprises me - I read it all the time. I often have to read the GDTs solely because I can’t get it on tv 

full disclosure I had about 5 quoted posts lined up here from the last while calling into question his effort and game but there’s no point - having sometimes emotional gdt responses dredged up doesn’t really serve anything. Search function is your friend if you want, can take my word for it, or just completely it disregard it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

This surprises me - I read it all the time. I often have to read the GDTs solely because I can’t get it on tv 

full disclosure I had about 5 quoted posts lined up here from the last while calling into question his effort and game but there’s no point - having sometimes emotional gdt responses dredged up doesn’t really serve anything. Search function is your friend if you want, can take my word for it, or just completely it disregard it 

Reading the crazy frustration posts by the usual suspects is the small silver lining of watching a Sabres loss

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Reading the crazy frustration posts by the usual suspects is the small silver lining of watching a Sabres loss

Yep, let's criticize the fans who don't like what they see. Everything's fine.

Classic SabreSpace.

As for Tuch, I don't often read the GDTs, but I do enough to call BS on any notion he's a whipping boy. One can cherry pick comments of course.

I almost posted about his brainless slash the other game, then his incredulity after sitting down in the box.

I'd say the conventional wisdom is that Tuch is fine and should be a key piece going forward.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.