Hinostroza on waivers and CLEARS 1/19/2023

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Interesting, couldn't a team have gotten him for free off the wire? I wonder if any trade involves us eating 50% of his salary?

I would say that is pretty much a given at this point.  

You are right any team could have had him for free, except his salary.

It's not the actual dollars it's the cap hit that matters.  Since the season is half over he has been paid half his salary, or so.  Does half the cap hit move with him?  Can the Sabres retain the *salary cap hit* or the half that remains?  I don't really know how all that works, but that makes sense to me.  Since it makes sense there is no way that the NHL will allow it.

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Interesting, couldn't a team have gotten him for free off the wire? I wonder if any trade involves us eating 50% of his salary?

Or it involves multiple players and the team receiving Hinistroza wants him in the AHL for now.  Since he pass waivers he's technically not in the NHL so the team that acquires him does not have to bring him up yet.  (I believe I have that right).

In any event, it sounds like the Sabres are going to "do something." 🙂

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

This is class all the way 'round.

There will be no trade.  Only termination.

Think about it:  What's in it for the Sabres?  They get to retain half his salary?  Is a team going to offer them anything when they can just wait for contract to cancel and get him for league minimum?  There's no reason for another team to offer anything up for him when they can get him for free. 

They will terminate his contract and let him be a free agent which will give him an opportunity to sign for lesser money with an NHL team that suffers an injury to a bottom 6 player and doesn't want to promote a rookie from the A as an injury replacement.  I don't think that's much of an opportunity.

I wonder if a team has already agreed to sign him as a free agent if he were available and the termination is just a step along the way.  Otherwise it makes no sense for Vinnie not to report to Rochester.

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

There will be no trade.  Only termination.

Think about it:  What's in it for the Sabres?  They get to retain half his salary?  Is a team going to offer them anything when they can just wait for contract to cancel and get him for league minimum?  There's no reason for another team to offer anything up for him when they can get him for free. 

They will terminate his contract and let him be a free agent which will give him an opportunity to sign for lesser money with an NHL team that suffers an injury to a bottom 6 player and doesn't want to promote a rookie from the A as an injury replacement.  I don't think that's much of an opportunity.

I wonder if a team has already agreed to sign him as a free agent if he were available and the termination is just a step along the way.  Otherwise it makes no sense for Vinnie not to report to Rochester.

Termination needs to make sense for both, and termination might not make sense for the player.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They he should report to Rochester, yeah?

Did they assign him to Rochester? I never saw that they did.

Pretty sure they’ve mutually decided he should sit tight until they see what can be worked out and that both parties are working together on this.

He’s not going to agree to a termination until he knows he’s got a place to land.

Rochester only becomes an option if he can’t find one.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They he should report to Rochester, yeah?

When they've run out of trade options, seems they'll ask him do that.  Then it'll be up to Vinny to decide to report & continue to receive the rest of his $1.7MM or to not report, have his contract voided, & try to sign a deal elsewhere. 

The reports make it seem that he hasn't been asked to report there yet.

I really don't understand why people here think any team would be interested in Vinnie, especially with his salary. 

The only scenario for a trade that I could see is if we made (for example) a deal for Chychrun that was all picks and prospects. We could throw Vinnie in to keep them above the cap floor. Otherwise, this is not much different to Sheehan. Just another scrub who was signed as insurance and lost his job to a youngster. Time for Vinnie to consider a European vacation. 

I don’t see them terminating him. If I were making his salary, I sure as heck wouldn’t agree to it. We already know no team is willing to pay him what he’s making now. Sure, he may want to take a pay cut and play, but it’s just temporary. He’ll be a free agent at the end of the season. He can play next year, but still don’t see him getting the money the Sabres gave him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.