Hinostroza on waivers and CLEARS 1/19/2023

LGR4GM

This is an organization demonstrating that they will do right by a player.  Again.  It's a good move for the Sabres and for Hinestroza, who I happen to like.  No trades could be had (apparently) so now he's available for anyone who wants his salary.

If he clears there I suspect a trade might occur because then he can be kept in the AHL.. or he can choose not to report, have his contract nullified and be a free agent.

All of these open up options for the player.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

NO !!

NOT THE HINEY-STROKA !!

Still a few hours to go, I think officially the transfer window is open noon to noon (EST) the next day.

Of course, I am just making that up, but it sounds good or at least believable.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

How Long is a Player on Waivers?

Once a player is placed on waivers, other teams have 24 hours to place a claim. If no team places a claim on the player, he can be officially assigned to the team’s minor league affiliate in the AHL.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

NO !!

NOT THE HINEY-STROKA !!

Still a few hours to go, I think officially the transfer window is open noon to noon (EST) the next day.

Of course, I am just making that up, but it sounds good or at least believable.

Under the CBA, waivers were filed by 12 noon & teams had 24 hours to make a claim.

Pretty sure that got bumped back to 2PM (the west coast GMs didn't like having to be to work by 9AM 😉) under the MOU but didn't see it under a quick perusal.

Just now, Brawndo said:

He cleared Waivers 

Good news. I suspected his contract would deter the teams that could have used him.

Wonder if he will actually be sent down. I bet Adams will let him have some say in what happens next, in order to “do right” by the player.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good news. I suspected his contract would deter the teams that could have used him.

Wonder if he will actually be sent down. I bet Adams will let him have some say in what happens next, in order to “do right” by the player.

And that would be the right thing to do.  He isn't some petulant first-round pick from Tampa, he's a role-playing vet who has kind of earned the right to determine his future.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

And that would be the right thing to do.  He isn't some petulant first-round pick from Tampa, he's a role-playing vet who has kind of earned the right to determine his future.

Well, @Thorny, what do you disagree with?  Or are you just giving out red Xs today?

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well, @Thorny, what do you disagree with?  Or are you just giving out red Xs today?

5 1UP! emojis given today, 2 REDEX! emojis given.. you are correct, it’s a little harsher than my normal ratio but that could be circumstantial. 

- - - 

You said “kind of”, so maybe there’s some wiggle room for me to work with. I’m not exactly sure how I feel about Hinostroza, tbh. He signed a contract under full knowledge of the fact Rochester was a possibility. Should he not honor it? Actually asking. As far as I know he hasn’t said he doesn’t want to report, this is all hypothetical, anyways. I’m just interested in the idea he should get the choice, now, should he wish to not report. Would that hold true if he was not up front about it, with the team, during the signing process? Was he forward about it? “oh by the way, if I DONT make it, I’m not going to Roch LOL.” At the end of the day I think choice is king so it would be all good, do right by the player, fine, understandable.

But I think “earned the right” kind of tripped me up. In so far as anyone has the right to tell any job they don’t want to do to “get bent, keep your cash!”, totally agree. But I don’t think we owe him anything. Not more than other employees. He signed his deal. If they “do right” by him, they are really just “doing right” by the image they want to project to the league. 

- - -

TLDR;

The above is my hobby, and I’m formulating an argument for the purposes of discussion. You want the real answer? I gave you a red X because you liked a comment in another thread that said I should be muted 

😈

Edited by Thorny

• LGR4GM changed the title to Hinostroza on waivers and CLEARS 1/19/2023
19 hours ago, pi2000 said:

He's definitely getting picked up.    I'll guess Florida, Arizona, Chicago, Winnipeg, NYI, NYR, Caps, Kings, Stars, Hurricanes, Kraken, Wild, Toronto, Tampa, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Ducks, Avalanche, Calgary, Detroit, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Philly or Edmonton.

Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I assume this does not preclude his contract being terminated if he wishes?

I'm fairly certain it's a different waiver process for contract termination. 

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think so. Hinostroza could have refused to report and then you'd terminate.  But he reported, so can they still terminate if someone calls his agent?

No. I'd check with Taro or Brawndo but I'm fairly sure you have to designate a contract termination, you can't just do it. It's a different type of waivers. 

No way the nhlpa is okay with random contracts being terminated. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.