Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I think it will be an interesting deadline for us, I think we'll deal Vinny Hinistroza. Also does this organization think Ryan Johnson/Erik Portillo will sign here? If not can we ship them out for picks or a player/players? I'd love a big, nasty defensemen like Luke Schenn (VAN), he's 32 but only counts 750K against the cap, blocks shots, kills penalties, Leads NHL in hits with 230 (Next best is 199) is a defensive defensemen and are the types of guys that Stanley Cup teams have. I'd also like to add a big winger and C in the bottom 6 like a Nick Ritchie (24th in hits) who is a 2.5M cap hit, the Coyotes certainly wont be asking for a 1st round pick for him. Just adding those 2 players could add another element to our team. Adding Schenn would replace Bryson and adding Ritchie would replace Asplund.

More interesting thoughts... like the Schenn idea and Ritchie is intriguing though I like Meier ideas better even if its during the off season... kinda nice looking at players rather than subtracting them.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree, team chemistry is important and this team has developed some bonds. 

idk if they can "go pretty far" but I could see them pulling a first round upset against the Bruins with their speed. If we make the playoffs, Granato needs to watch and copy the Carolina game from today. Old Bruins are hopeless against that sort of tenacious speed. 

Pleasantly Surprised Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I think it will be an interesting deadline for us, I think we'll deal Vinny Hinistroza. Also does this organization think Ryan Johnson/Erik Portillo will sign here? If not can we ship them out for picks or a player/players? I'd love a big, nasty defensemen like Luke Schenn (VAN), he's 32 but only counts 750K against the cap, blocks shots, kills penalties, Leads NHL in hits with 230 (Next best is 199) is a defensive defensemen and are the types of guys that Stanley Cup teams have. I'd also like to add a big winger and C in the bottom 6 like a Nick Ritchie (24th in hits) who is a 2.5M cap hit, the Coyotes certainly wont be asking for a 1st round pick for him. Just adding those 2 players could add another element to our team. Adding Schenn would replace Bryson and adding Ritchie would replace Asplund.

Adams would win GM of the year if he could somehow manage to trade Hinistroza after having waived him when any team could have taken him for free.

I think it's safe to assume Johnson and Portillo are walking - off the top of my head I can't think of a single college player who stayed the 4 years who ended up signing with the team that drafted them (although I'm sure it has happened, just not to use recently). 

I agree what's needed is to bring in a defensive d-man at the deadline to replace Byrson.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they keep Hinostroza as a reserve for the playoffs.  You always have injuries and he is a proven NHLer.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

BTW, I find it interesting that "primer" rhymes with "Zimmer," not with "timer."

That still confuses the hell out of me.

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Adams would win GM of the year if he could somehow manage to trade Hinistroza after having waived him when any team could have taken him for free.

I think it's safe to assume Johnson and Portillo are walking - off the top of my head I can't think of a single college player who stayed the 4 years who ended up signing with the team that drafted them (although I'm sure it has happened, just not to use recently). 

I agree what's needed is to bring in a defensive d-man at the deadline to replace Byrson.

It’s not that unusual for players waived through the league are later traded. There are several reasons for that mostly concerned with contract and other restrictions. 

Also, without looking it up, I would bet more players stay the four years and sign with team that drafted them. However, the only ones anyone pays attention to are the 1 or 2 legitimate prospects that have options.

Finally, I still think there is a decent chance Johnson signs and I agree, Portillo walks or his rights are traded and I still think he is a long shot prospect at best.

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Free is a relative term.  The acquiring team would have had to pay him the balance of this contract and fit him under the cap.  My guess is teams were interested, but wanted KA to retain a portion of his contract and KA said no.  Depending on who is available there is still a chance Vinnie gets traded, but why move him at this point.  I'd rather have him as an injury callup.

21 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Does Casey Fitzgerald ring a bell?  😉

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Linus Weissbach and Casey Fitzgerald are the 2 Sabres prospects who stayed 4 years in college recently.

Each signed with Buffalo instead of going UFA.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Linus Weissbach and Casey Fitzgerald are the 2 Sabres prospects who stayed 4 years in college recently.

Each signed with Buffalo instead of going UFA.

Sean Malone.  To date, I think Petersen is the only Sabres drafted prospect to walk ever who the Sabres offered a contract to.

PS, anyone else happy for Hudson Fasching that he has made and stuck with the NYI.  I always liked this kid and hoped he'd make the show.

https://www.usahockeymagazine.com/article/2012-03/family-man-hudson-fasching#:~:text=Hudson was the first of,around-the-clock care.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sean Malone.  To date, I think Petersen is the only Sabres drafted prospect to walk ever who the Sabres offered a contract to.

PS, anyone else happy for Hudson Fasching that he has made and stuck with the NYI.  I always liked this kid and hoped he'd make the show.

https://www.usahockeymagazine.com/article/2012-03/family-man-hudson-fasching#:~:text=Hudson was the first of,around-the-clock care.

And for all the complaining about Petersen, he flamed out in LA.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes absolutely happy for Fasching to be carving out some time with the Islanders.  I remember reading the family stories when we acquired him.  Great family and character.  I wish him nothing but the best in the NHL and in life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Who do they upgrade?

Looking at the lineup and thinking about GMKAs plan so far the two most in need of an upgrade next are Girgensons and Okposo.

We can assume they want Krebs, Mitts, Quinn and Peterka to stay in the lineup and not be blocked by an aquisition. That means the top two lines + aren't going anywhere, atleast right now. 

Oloffson is a possibility because he will be replaced in the next cycle of prospects taking the ice with Buffalo anyways. He scores and has been better lately all around but he could be a return as part of a bigger deal.

I could also see him dealt separately to recoup draft picks after they make a bigger deal and to clear a spot. 

Asplund should be moved if they can find an upgrade. They've moved on from him too it seems. 

As for Z and KO.

Would Z, for instance,  continue to play the good teammate and drop to a rotational forward role in the event an upgrade can be made? Could he be dealt? Does he have value? 

What about the captain? Captains have been dealt before and will be again but I doubt KO goes. I think he holds the cards and meatballs heart in this case. 

Then there's the matter of the room. If guys go out the room will change. It'll change again when new guys enter.

Mid/late season that could be tricky but the reward could be a sweet sweet playoff birth. 

What will GMKA do? I'm not sure he has to do anything really. 

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion
On 1/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, Norcal said:

What will GMKA do? I'm not sure he has to do anything really. 

Up to know he has only done what he literally had to do to field a team.  Acquiring Bush and Comrie fit that bill last off-season.  

However, I think he needs to do somethings on defense at the deadline to send the right message to the team and the fans that he wants this team to make the playoffs this season.  I don’t see any forward acquisitions unless KO asks to be traded to a top contender.  I can see Asplund/Bryson/Clague being traded to make room for a D.

Deadline deals are heating up with the trades of Horvat and Tarasenko.  The Deadline is March 3, so we are two weeks from the Deadline.  I the trade volume to pick up over the coming week.

Here would be a very gutsy move.  Acquire Boeser and Schenn from Van.  Trade Olofsson and Bryson or Clague to make room for them.  Boeser is only 25 and has two years left on his deal at 6.5.  We would be the only suitor for Boeser who can take him on without retention for Van.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I love Okposo. Love him!

But … after this year I really think it’s time to cut ties. let the new blood take over. Same with Anderson.

The only way I would change my mind about Okposo… is if he signed a one-year deal for 2 mil. or less.

…. And give the C to someone else next season. 

Anderson, is done. And I hope he feels the same.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I love Okposo. Love him!

But … after this year I really think it’s time to cut ties. let the new blood take over. Same with Anderson.

The only way I would change my mind about Okposo… is if he signed a one-year deal for 2 mil. or less.

…. And give the C to someone else next season. 

Anderson, is done. And I hope he feels the same.

Rather they toss Okposo upstairs let someone else have his minutes. 

Time to go 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Up to know he has only done what he literally had to do to field a team.  Acquiring Bush and Comrie fit that bill last off-season.  

However, I think he needs to do somethings on defense at the deadline to send the right message to the team and the fans that he wants this team to make the playoffs this season.  I don’t see any forward acquisitions unless KO asks to be traded to a top contender.  I can see Asplund/Bryson/Clague being traded to make room for a D.

Deadline deals are heating up with the trades of Horvat and Tarasenko.  The Deadline is March 3, so we are two weeks from the Deadline.  I the trade volume to pick up over the coming week.

Here would be a very gutsy move.  Acquire Boeser and Schenn from Van.  Trade Olofsson and Bryson or Clague to make room for them.  Boeser is only 25 and has two years left on his deal at 6.5.  We would be the only suitor for Boeser who can take him on without retention for Van.  

I really like the idea of Boeser and Shenn. I'm not sure if GMKA does or not. 

An upgrade at a minimum would be nice.

The team is looking stacked at F right now and could move a piece or two but I'm not interested in subtracting too much at this time. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I really like the idea of Boeser and Shenn. I'm not sure if GMKA does or not. 

An upgrade at a minimum would be nice.

The team is looking stacked at F right now and could move a piece or two but I'm not interested in subtracting too much at this time. 

Nothing against you at all but hes basically Olofsson rather they go for something else

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Nothing against you at all but hes basically Olofsson rather they go for something else

Boeser is younger, bigger and more physical.  He also is a better playmaker.  He is also under contract for another 2 years vs one for Victor.  So yes, he's a better version of Victor and more likely to be a core piece going forward.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Boeser is younger, bigger and more physical.  He also is a better playmaker.  He is also under contract for another 2 years vs one for Victor.  So yes, he's a better version of Victor and more likely to be a core piece going forward.

I'll disagree with that  Respectfully i get the  Pleasure of watching Vancouver games "forced" hes no difference maker and takes patently of shifts off when things dont go his way.

Also his defensive game isn't bad but when he doesn't care  He plays kane bad.

His attitude isn't needed..

Rather give quinn, jj, Savoie his spot 

Edited by Buffalonill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.