Three and OUT!!

Radar

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

this might come off as a bit pompous and I apologize for that BUT if you don’t have Bryson on your list, I have to question if you are watching the games or just scrolling through Twitter 

I don’t think twitter says he’s any good either tbf 

Here’s something that’s easy to overlook with Casey:

Despite the fact he is now 24 and has been in the organization for 6 years, he’s played just 316 games at a level above high school hockey. All but 77 of them were in the NHL. 

Dylan Cozens, by comparison, has played 392. JJ Peterka, at 20, has played 198.

Mitts was a 1-man show in high school who never really had to learn how to play a team game until he arrived in the NHL.

Jason Botterill certainly didn’t do him any favours putting a woefully unprepared kid into the show and asking him to play 2C. Properly handled, he would have played 2 years of college, 2 in Rochester, and would be partway through his 3rd NHL season right now.

He certainly seems to be a Holzinger/Plante level player at this point and I suspect that’s what he will always be.

But I also wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of those guys who suddenly punches 20 points above his level one year in the right circumstances, well past the time when anyone expects it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Here’s something that’s easy to overlook with Casey:

Despite the fact he is now 24 and has been in the organization for 6 years, he’s played just 316 games at a level above high school hockey. All but 77 of them were in the NHL. 

Dylan Cozens, by comparison, has played 392. JJ Peterka, at 20, has played 198.

Mitts was a 1-man show in high school who never really had to learn how to play a team game until he arrived in the NHL.

Jason Botterill certainly didn’t do him any favours putting a woefully unprepared kid into the show and asking him to play 2C. Properly handled, he would have played 2 years of college, 2 in Rochester, and would be partway through his 3rd NHL season right now.

He certainly seems to be a Holzinger/Plante level player at this point and I suspect that’s what he will always be.

But I also wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of those guys who suddenly punches 20 points above his level one year in the right circumstances, well past the time when anyone expects it.

Casey is a perfect example of someone who took longer to grow up. No surprise I don’t think things would have been any different for him had he played with Rochester. Not only did he need to grow up physically, he needed to become an adult.

The difference with him is that he’s benefited from a crazy amount of patience because the team wasn’t trying to win till this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Casey is a perfect example of someone who took longer to grow up. No surprise I don’t think things would have been any different for him had he played with Rochester. Not only did he need to grow up physically, he needed to become an adult.

The difference with him is that he’s benefited from a crazy amount of patience because the team wasn’t trying to win till this year.

Completely agree with this.

The only thing that might have changed are people’s expectations.

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Completely agree with this.

The only thing that might have changed are people’s expectations.

Why are people so happy with Jost?  He has a similar pedigree as Casey.  Jost was a 10th overall pick by the Avs and was supposed to be one their center's of the future.  It didn't work out and he was eventually sent to Minn and in 33 games their (between this year and last) he scored 2 goals with 7 assists.  Minn waived him after 12 games this season.  

Now he comes here for nothing and we have no expectations for him.  So far so good.  He has 4 goals with 7 assists in 26 games.  He is on a career high scoring pace.  FYI Casey has 16 points (2g 14a) in those same games.  

At some point people have to get their expectations in line with what is really happening.  Casey isn't Cozens and never will be, but 50 point players who can play multiple positions and can move up and down the lineup are not easy to find and are a good asset to have.

Just FYI Casey is 8th in his draft class in games played, 11th in points (although Yamamoto is right on his heals), 12th in goals, and 10th in assists.  Forwards drafted ahead of him include Nolan Patrick, Cody Glass, and Lias Andersson.

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why are people so happy with Jost?  He has a similar pedigree as Casey.  Jost was a 10th overall pick by the Avs and was supposed to be one their center's of the future.  It didn't work out and he was eventually sent to Minn and in 33 games their (between this year and last) he scored 2 goals with 7 assists.  Minn waived him after 12 games this season.  

Now he comes here for nothing and we have no expectations for him.  So far so good.  He has 4 goals with 7 assists in 26 games.  He is on a career high scoring pace.  FYI Casey has 16 points (2g 14a) in those same games.  

At some point people have to get their expectations in line with what is really happening.  Casey isn't Cozens and never will be, but 50 point players who can play multiple positions and can move up and down the lineup are not easy to find and are a good asset to have.

Just FYI Casey is 8th in his draft class in games played, 11th in points (although Yamamoto is right on his heals), 12th in goals, and 10th in assists.  Forwards drafted ahead of him include Nolan Patrick, Cody Glass, and Lias Andersson.

Have you seen how much in depth hockey talk there was during the WJC, every game about the performance of our prospects and what it might mean? As long as people put a lot of stock in that tournament, Casey’s electrifying performance therein (Wearing a bills jersey, no less) will have people thinking he can amount to even more. But I agree with your general point 

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Have you seen how much in depth hockey talk there was during WJC, every game about the performance of our prospects and what it might mean? As long as people put a lot of stock in that tournament, Casey’s electrifying performance therein (Wearing a bulls jersey, no less) will have people thinking he can amount to even more. But I agree with your general point 

I get why people are frustrated with Casey.  He made a great pass to VO last night and made a terrific play in the first last night as well to give himself a great scoring chance but rang it off the pipe.  After seeing those plays it's easy to ask yourself why doesn't he do that all the time.  I don't know the answer, but I've seen many worse players on the Sabres, including certain current players like Bush, Bryson, Asplund, even Girgensons.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.