Thread for Canadians

Crusader1969

18 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I grew up in a small logging/mill town on Vancouver Island pop.1500 where the majority of people liked the habs, leafs or canucks. My younger brother was an Islanders fan. At the age of 10 I discovered the French connection and the Buffalo Sabres. The year was 1975. The rest is history. 

Seems the French Connection had a huge impact on a lot of us on this site. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, inkman said:

Can one of the Canadians in this thread answer why y’all struggle so much with descriptors for 1st round draft picks?  Every Canadian I hear (and wherever Paul Hamilton is from) cannot get this term correct.  The most common I hear I “first pick”, “ First overall pick” (even though said player was not the first overall pick, just a first round pick).  

Can you put it in a sentence?  Not sure I’m completely understanding 

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

I was 4 years old.  My uncle, who became a Sabres fan after listening to Rick Darling (then RJ) on the radio, converted me young.  Much to the chagrin of my leaf fan father.   

Fast forward to 1999 leaf/sabres playoff gameday.  I didn't have the hatred for leafs at this point but was a pretty big sabres fan still.  I'm walking down the road at 14 with my Sabres jersey on and some guy driving in a truck rolls down his window, yells 'go leafs go' and whips his half drank beer can out the window at me.  Maybe it says something more about Oshawa than leaf fans but I have had a deep hatred for the leafs and all of their fans ever since.....

I remember wearing my Sabres jersey the day after they rolled the Leafs in that series and  walking through Home Depot and hearing someone say “ that guy is trying to get himself killed”.  Luckily in Burlington no one actually tried. 
but I’ve hated the leafs as long as I can remember.   Not sure why, probably mostly due to their arrogant fans.  
though the leafs of the 90s were easy to hate starting with Tucker and Domi  

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, inkman said:

Jack Quinn, their first overall pick in 2020, is an exciting prospect.  

Maybe that’s an Ontario thing, but it’s definitely not a Canadian thing.

(Anytime I’ve read it, I’ve actually assumed the poster must be American 😜)

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I remember wearing my Sabres jersey the day after they rolled the Leafs in that series and  walking through Home Depot and hearing someone say “ that guy is trying to get himself killed”.  Luckily in Burlington no one actually tried. 
but I’ve hated the leafs as long as I can remember.   Not sure why, probably mostly due to their arrogant fans.  
though the leafs of the 90s were easy to hate starting with Tucker and Domi 

I remember wearing a polo shirt with the goat-head at work in Philly the day after one of those 8-2 or 8-0 drubbings in the playoffs. We had some construction guys in the datacenter that gave me a little good-natured crap about it, lol. I used to wear my navy retro 3rd to the games in Philly when I went too.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I am Canadian.

I do have a connection to Buffalo.  My mom was born there and she grew up in Elma.  My grandparents bought land way out in Elma in around 1930 and built a house.  Before that they built what turned into a barn, but initially the family lived in said barn.  So, my mom was raised in a barn.  True story.

My Aunt and Uncle lived next door to my grandparents.  My cousin and his family have lived in my grandparents house since my grandfather passed away on my 18th birthday in 1982.

We used to spend a lot of time there as kids.  It was great to be in *the country* as compared to The Great Satan.

I grew up watching the Bills and Sabres and have loved them ever since.  When I was in Junior High and High School everybody was wondering why the Sabres ... there was not one other Sabre fan in the whole school.

When I was older we would go to a few Bills games (my uncle had seasons for entertaining clients) and some Sabre games too.

When my wife and I married we would go to Buffalo many times for games.

We have not been to Buffalo, or The Great Satan, since we moved to NS in 1998.

Where in Elma?

I've gone over this before but l will put it in this appropriate thread for anyone who doesn't know my story yet.

When I was a kid hockey wasn't watched in my house (immigrant parents, my dad liked soccer, boxing and the olympics). I grew up in Hamilton Ontario and all my young friends were Leafs or Habs fans (mostly Leafs). Leafs sucked and I'm not much of a group follower peer pressure type. Everybody was talking hockey all the time though so finally I got to flip the Stanley Cup on the tv and my first game was the Bobby Orr flying through the air cup victory over St. Louis. Orr and Boston became my team for this reason (it was cool) AND also because the black and gold was the same uniform colours as the local CFL football Hamilton Tiger Cats. 

Naturally the Habs were the enemy and as I started to watch and like hockey more and more I discovered the local Buffalo tv broadcasts as well which back then were on free tv a few times a week. These French Connection guys were pretty cool and when they knocked off Montreal in the playoffs I was hooked. That became my team. I kept Boston as a sort of B team that has served me well in recent years with Buffalo's ineptitude. I'm also watching the Kraken as I'm now living on the west coast. But Buffalo is still my team. I am probably insane 🙂

Saw the Sabres a few times in the Aud. Once in Hamilton (a terrible game). Haven't gone to a live NHL game in years though. 

I did get to play hockey once with Dave Andreychuk, and I learned pretty quickly why high school hockey was the peak of my career 🙂

and this is why I have a fondness for the goat head:

oWWY553S_400x400.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

While I am a Buffalo native, I understand latching on to a team not from your home town.  I've been an Atlanta Braves fan most of my life.  It stems from going to spring training games in West Palm with my grandfather and Hank Aaron chase of 715.  It's a little ironic that I ended up living in the Atlanta area.

PS: While not Canadian, my grandmother was born in Toronto and I spent most of the summers in my youth in Haliburton Ont.  I also still have considerable family in St Catherines, Toronto and for some reason Calgary.  Is that Canadian enough for this thread?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I am a Buffalo native, I understand latching on to a team not from your home town.  I've been an Atlanta Braves fan most of my life.  It stems from going to spring training games in West Palm with my grandfather and Hank Aaron chase of 715.  It's a little ironic that I ended up living in the Atlanta area.

PS: While not Canadian, my grandmother was born in Toronto and I spent most of the summers in my youth in Haliburton Ont.  I also still have considerable family in St Catherines, Toronto and for some reason Calgary.  Is that Canadian enough for this thread?

You have some Canadian DNA.

The Halliburton area is beautiful cottage country.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.