John Roth Named COO of PSE and The Sabres

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

MBA from MIT. Smart dude. 

But can he penalty kill?

7 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This needs to be said because Terry signs the checks and has the ego, but the analytics group and KA/Karmanos run the show.  

Yeah, I kind of hope this doesn't upset the apple cart with respect to Kevyn and how he runs the team.

I infer that Terry got to know him because Roth managed investments for the Pegulas. 

Good to hire someone you know, like, and trust.

I didn’t pick up that Roth was involved in business management of his company, group, etc. It’d be a gap in his resume - for a COO job - if he weren’t.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s kinda funny it says that Terry is “leading the hockey side” 

I chuckled at that too.

I think they were trying to emphasize that Roth was not Kevyn’s boss, but the way it came out is probably more realistic.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I chuckled at that too.

I think they were trying to emphasize that Roth was not Kevyn’s boss, but the way it came out is probably more realistic.

Agree that was probably what they were trying to emphasize, lost me with the last bit, what’s more realistic? 

In honestly, I think Terry probably views himself at the centre of the spider-web (I mean he is the Owner) but I also think Adams is aware of this and is comfortable with the perception: but that when he’s the last one in the office he dusts off the rest of the picture and it’s actually him, Adams, at the centre of a much larger web, where he’s pulling the threads. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Anybody know anything more about this guy?

Realize Ted Black was a bit of a goofball but hoping he's more like him than a Doug Moss (or Russ Brandon). Sabres don't have a particularly stellar track record w/ hired COO's/ Team Presidents, do they.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Anybody know anything more about this guy?

Realize Ted Black was a bit of a goofball but hoping he's more like him than a Doug Moss (or Russ Brandon). Sabres don't have a particularly stellar track record w/ hired COO's/ Team Presidents, do they.

No.

Someone will have to explain to me why another layer of management is needed if hockey actually is involved.  (And they'll have a tough time doing so, too.)  I suspect he's an org guy for all of PSE and that's it.

Edited by Eleven

Making Raccuia the COO of the Bills made sense, as he’d been the President of ADPRO (which PSE acquired). Raccuia is also an EVP of PSE.

Roth just sounds like an investment advisor. I’m not sure how well that qualifies him for serving as the Sabres and PSE’s COO.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Making Raccuia the COO of the Bills made sense, as he’d been the President of ADPRO (which PSE acquired). Raccuia is also an EVP of PSE.

Roth just sounds like an investment advisor. I’m not sure how well that qualifies him for serving as the Sabres and PSE’s COO.

Back before COVID hit, they were looking into arena upgrades.  Could be they expect his background in finance would help them move that forward?

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So on the business side of PSE, is the pecking order now…

Pegula’s
Raccuia
Roth

???

I reckon it’s right that Raccuia’s EVP title at PSE trumps Roth’s COO title with the same organization. However, we know how Terry feels about flat org structures.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Back before COVID hit, they were looking into arena upgrades.  Could be they expect his background in finance would help them move that forward?

Good call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.