Pronman: Sabres have the best U23 player in the NHL, 2 in top 5

dudacek

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's just how he tiers players (and always has).  He sees a quality starting G as equivalent to a middle skater.  

Oh, then I agree. That Quinn looks like a good one. He looks like he has very strong legs the way he can get power from them even when he is falling down or in awkward positions. 

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I imagine one of Johnson's issues is that he will be 3LHD for his entire career here.  I imagine that he sees himself as being more than that.

If he or Power can play on the right side, he can be a 2nd pairing guy here and easily get 22 minutes/game if not 24.

And though he'll never get PP1 time when all are healthy, he MIGHT supplant Power on PP2 if they decide to make Owen a key PKer when he's done filling out.

Being a key piece of a Chicago cup run style D or a D-centric Nashville team could be enticing.  (Maybe he does want to have a shot at being the top dog, but he'll necessarily be on a weaker D if he is.)

The Sabres really do only have a few gaps moving forward & those gaps (except possibly/likely goalie) aren't at the top of the lineup & there's a lot of highly rated prospects available to step in when new gaps arise.  Don't know why he wouldn't want to be a part of it, but definitely have blue & gold colored glasses to view his situation.

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My favourite thing about this list is Dahlin getting the recognition he deserves.

REALLY hoping Dahlin gets an ASG invite.

Would just be wrong to have a Norris candidate such as himself sit home.  HATE the way the league is choosing the rosters this year.

Edited by Taro T
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If he or Power can play on the right side, he can be a 2nd pairing guy here and easily get 22 minutes/game if not 24.

And though he'll never get PP1 time when all are healthy, he MIGHT supplant Power on PP2 if they decide to make Owen a key PKer when he's done filling out.

Being a key piece of a Chicago cup run style D or a D-centric Nashville team could be enticing.  (Maybe he does want to have a shot at being the top dog, but he'll necessarily be on a weaker D if he is.)

The Sabres really do only have a few gaps moving forward & those gaps (except possibly/likely goalie) aren't at the top of the lineup & there's a lot of highly rated prospects available to step in when new gaps arise.  Don't know why he wouldn't want to be a part of it, but definitely have blue & gold colored glasses to view his situation.

Johnson is not a high scoring Dman at the NCAA level, I doubt many teams see him as an NHL top pairing guy.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I am very confused on Levi.  Is he the likely answer in goal, or just another hit or miss prospect?

He was never a prospect that was an odds on, better than 50% shot to be a mainstay starter in the NHL. There’s always a lot of uncertainty with any prospect, aside from the very top of the draft guys, especially in G. He can be, and is a great prospect, but that’s not the same as it being a guarantee or “safe” (better than 50%, most likely resulting scenario) bet that he’ll be a good NHL goalie capable of starting 40 games, nm the playoff goalie of the future. 

As far as prospects go he’s the bees knees imo still for goalies, but there’s no “likely” in the vernacular until we see it 

- - - 

Glad to see Pronman finally catch up to my analysis on Dahlin.

Surprised he’s only listed as “bubble” elite when he’s ranked #1

Johnson is never going to run an NHL PP. He might PK though.

He projects to be Jokiharju and having those two trade off the #4 slot would put team and player in a great position to succeed.

Dahlin, Sammy and Power have all shown no notable drop-off on their off-hand so far, so I’m not sure handedness is going to be an issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Johnson is never going to run an NHL PP. He might PK though.

He projects to be Jokiharju and having those two trade off the #4 slot would put team and player in a great position to succeed.

Dahlin, Sammy and Power have all shown no notable drop-off on their off-hand so far, so I’m not sure handedness is going to be an issue.

As far as I know Dahlin is the only defender they’ve done that w/, with any consistency, though, unless I’m mistaken. They’ve paid an eye to handedness when possible, but I don’t think it would prevent them from playing, say, Johnson there if he was better than the next guy, to your point. 

Dahlin playing his offhand on the top pair is still rather a unicorn, it’s just not something you see very often at all - once Power becomes the player he’s going to be I could see it going either way- we might see a bit of off-hand drop off once there’s further to fall, whereas he’s at a more moderate level now. Or perhaps he’ll be like Dahlin where can maintain elite play on either side with no noticeable alteration in production and output. 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As far as I know Dahlin is the only defender they’ve done that w/, with any consistency, though, unless I’m mistaken. They’ve paid an eye to handedness when possible, but I don’t think it would prevent them from playing, say, Johnson there if he was better than the next guy, to your point. 

Dahlin playing his offhand on the top pair is still rather a unicorn, it’s just not something you see very often at all - once Power becomes the player he’s going to be I could see it going either way- we might see a bit of off-hand drop off once there’s further to fall, whereas he’s at a more moderate level now. Or perhaps he’ll be like Dahlin where can maintain elite play on either side with no noticeable alteration in production and output. 

Dahlin and Samuelsson have been switching sides throughout the game on a pretty regular basis when they play together.

Power has done the same when he’s not with Joki (Clague most notably)

Donnie seems to frequently double-shift one of the top 3 with one of the bottom 3 with no regard to hands.

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin and Samuelsson have been switching sides throughout the game on a pretty regular basis when they play together.

Power has done the same when he’s not with Joki (Clague most notably)

Donnie seems to frequently double-shift one of the top 3 with one of the bottom 3 with no regard to hands.

If Joki is in the lineup has he generally been paired with Power, though? Like assuming health?

They seem to line Dahlin up on the right by preference but Power the preference is on the left when possible. Ie when Joki is in he’s firmly on the left. But again I could be wrong 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

He was never a prospect that was an odds on, better than 50% shot to be a mainstay starter in the NHL. There’s always a lot of uncertainty with any prospect, aside from the very top of the draft guys, especially in G. He can be, and is a great prospect, but that’s not the same as it being a guarantee or “safe” (better than 50%, most likely resulting scenario) bet that he’ll be a good NHL goalie capable of starting 40 games, nm the playoff goalie of the future. 

As far as prospects go he’s the bees knees imo still for goalies, but there’s no “likely” in the vernacular until we see it 

- - - 

Glad to see Pronman finally catch up to my analysis on Dahlin.

Surprised he’s only listed as “bubble” elite when he’s ranked #1

That's because he isn't rated as borderline elite, that was Cozens heading.  Dahlin's heading was (& is) elite.  Pronman puts the tier 1st & then the players in the tier under it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

When Power is out w/ Clague he spends the bulk of the time on the right side.

Pretty sure Granato has no issues w/ sliding him over to that side.  Right now he stays primarily on the left side because Granato continues to pair him up w/ Jokiharju.

If Johnson signs and they decide he'd be a better 2nd pairing guy than Henri, fully expect they won't let handedness interfere w/ the plan.  (But Granato LOVES him some Joker, so not expecting that pairing to go away any time soon.)

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's because he isn't rated as borderline elite, that was Cozens heading.  Dahlin's heading was (& is) elite.  Pronman puts the tier 1st & then the players in the tier under it.

Urgh I can’t read, that makes more sense, thanks. Break time 

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When Power is out w/ Clague he spends the bulk of the time on the right side.

Pretty sure Granato has no issues w/ sliding him over to that side.  Right now he stays primarily on the left side because Granato continues to pair him up w/ Jokiharju.

If Johnson signs and they decide he'd be a better 2nd pairing guy than Henri, fully expect they won't let handedness interfere w/ the plan.  (But Granato LOVES him some Joker, so not expecting that pairing to go away any time soon.)

But if everyone is healthy Power is being lined up on the left, correct?  Their choice #1, given all available options, has been Power 2LD, Jokiharju 2RD, unless I am well off?

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Urgh I can’t read, that makes more sense, thanks. Break time 

On 1st glance thought the ranking description was at the bottom of each write up like you'd interpreted it; but the huge listing of players at the end were clearly under 1 heading.  Went back and saw the heading above Dahlin's write up.  Problem w/ pulling text from articles; sometimes without the formatting they can get interpreted strangely.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I agree except that the NHL d core is young and will be around for years , maybe even a decade.  So I’m not too worrried about it at the moment

I think you are in agreement with me that GMKA needs to bring another D vet or 2.  That should suffice 

The D has 3 core pieces all very young, but everyone else needs to be upgraded.  2 vets will be nice, but long term we need more D in the pipeline.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The D has 3 core pieces all very young, but everyone else needs to be upgraded.  2 vets will be nice, but long term we need more D in the pipeline.

I think joker is a core piece as well.  Maybe bottom pair but definitely in a long term asset 

IF they have a first rounder this June , I do hope they draft a Dman 

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

When is the last time they were amazing ? 17 years 

I’ll take good for 2 years if I get amazing in 2

I think we all would.  Maybe my sarcasm should have been, we are going to be so good in 2 years.  We still aren’t quite there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.