Pronman: Sabres have the best U23 player in the NHL, 2 in top 5

dudacek

Elite NHL player

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 7

Analysis: Dahlin’s first half this season has been as good as you could have hoped for if you are a Sabres fan. He’s looked like the definition of a game breaker. His skill level is off the charts, showing the ability to make unique plays with the puck at a high rate. He’s a good enough skater to make those skilled plays with pace. Dahlin shows a lot of creativity as a playmaker and in how he activates into attacks. He’s more offensive tilted, but his defense has progressed well enough to make the most of his skill and make sure his team has the puck when he’s on the ice. The No. 1 pick from the 2018 draft has emerged as one of the premier defensemen and overall players in the league.

Bubble elite NHL player and NHL All-Star

5. Dylan Cozens, C, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 13

Analysis: Cozens has had a breakout season for Buffalo, becoming a true two-way force down the middle, and giving the Sabres two No. 1 centers between him and Tage Thompson. Cozens is a handful at 6-3 with his speed and skill combined with a great compete level. He can overpower opponents to win pucks while also being able to beat them with skill. He’s gotten more offensive opportunities including running a PP1 flank at times to use his skill and shot. His emerging offense combined with strong defensive play makes him one of the best young players in the league and a potential Selke Trophy candidate further down the line of his career.

NHL All-Star

10. Owen Power, D, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 20

Analysis: Power has looked excellent in his rookie NHL season, and every bit like a first-overall pick. His mobility given his length at 6-foot-6 is very impressive and despite not being overly physical, it allows him to break up so many plays. Dahlin is the offense guy on that blue line, but Power has offense too. He’s shown legit playmaking ability from both ends, and the skill and poise to make tough plays. He looks like an emerging star two-way defenseman and a blue line with him and Dahlin for the next decade will terrify opponents.

Top-of-the-lineup player

31. Jack Quinn, RW, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 39

Analysis: Quinn has looked very good as a rookie NHLer, with the line of himself, Cozens and JJ Peterka clicking in the first half of the season. He’s got excellent hands and his stick handling in tight spaces stands out. Quinn makes a lot of tough passes and is a shot threat as well. His only knock is his pure footspeed, as I think his overall effort on and away from the puck is good too. He is trending to become a legit top-line winger.

Bubble top and middle-of-the-lineup player or quality starting goaltender

47. Jiri Kulich, C/LW, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 89

Analysis: Kulich’s development has been on a sharp upward trajectory over the last 18 months. He’s been excellent versus men this season as an 18-year-old, and just followed up his MVP performance at last year’s U18 worlds by being one of the better forwards at the world juniors. There’s nothing about his game that’s high end, but a lot of what Kulich does looks like an NHL player. He’s a fast, competitive, direct, skilled winger. He can make tough plays with the puck and has a great shot. Kulich gives an honest effort every game and has the puck game to create offense in the NHL.

48. Mattias Samuelsson, D, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: Not Rated

Analysis: Samuelsson has quickly become a major part of the Sabres’ lineup as part of their top defense pairing. Samuelsson is a true shutdown defenseman. He’s got great length, skates very well for a big man, and is highly physical. He punishes opposing forwards regularly with his physical play and breaks up a lot of rushes. His offense will never be a selling point, but his outlets and sense are good enough.

52. John-Jason Peterka, LW, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 68

Analysis: Peterka has been a part of that great kid line in Buffalo with Cozens and Quinn. Peterka has a lot of positive offensive elements. He’s a strong skater who plays fast. He has excellent puck skills and can make difficult plays at speed. He can both shoot the puck well and make plays. Peterka isn’t the biggest or most physical guy, but competes well enough to survive in the NHL. I don’t know if he’ll ever be ‘the guy’ on a scoring line, but he could be a very solid top six winger.

Middle-of-the-lineup player or starting goaltender

76. Peyton Krebs, LW, Buffalo

81. Matthew Savoie, C/RW, Buffalo

141. Noah Östlund, C, Buffalo

145. Isak Rosen, LW, Buffalo

151. Devon Levi, G, Buffalo

• Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I am very confused on Levi.  Is he the likely answer in goal, or just another hit or miss prospect?

We're not going to know until he starts playing against better competition.  It's time for him to get out of the NCAA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't. I'm sorry.

29 minutes ago, Weave said:

We are going to be AMAZING in 2 more years.

Great contribution you two! Really riveting to come into a prospects thread and read this, you should win Pulitzer prizes. 

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So Levi is now are 5th best prospect.  Interesting.  I had him 3rd behind Savoie and Kulich, because I think he has more upside potential then Östlund and Rosen, but I can see why Corey has downgraded him some.  

Pronman lives in the world of recency bias. Whichever prospect has caught his eye recently gets a boost. 

Either way it is good to see that others outside of Buffalo think highly of our guys. Gotta keep stockpiling talent if we want to win. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't. I'm sorry.

Don't apologize.  We didn't want you to, anyway.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Great contribution you two! Really riveting to come into a prospects thread and read this, you should win Pulitzer prizes. 

All right, settle down, Beavis...

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It’s just a fraction of the nonsense we wade through when you start 2 pages of condescending arguments with the villain of the month club.  I think you can handle it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jamiezzz said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the Michigan goalie, and Johnson (defense) don't want to sign with Buffalo?  Is it the team, city, money, opportunity, or just want to sign where they want to play?

Welcome back!

14 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the Michigan goalie, and Johnson (defense) don't want to sign with Buffalo?  Is it the team, city, money, opportunity, or just want to sign where they want to play?

I think Portillo sees too much competition ahead of him, in which case I don't want him here.  I don't know about Johnson.  @LGR4GM would be a good resource for that.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

All I know is that it isn’t the money because they can only get an ELC from any team.

IMHO it is more about where they want to play and opportunity.

Johnson hasn’t ruled out Buffalo, and Portillo hasn’t officially said anything.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

All I know is that it isn’t the money because they can only get an ELC from any team.

I think if they sit out their entire NCAA term, they become free agents and can get more than an ELC?  Is that correct or incorrect?

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think if they sit out their entire NCAA term, they become free agents and can get more than an ELC?  Is that correct or incorrect?

Nope, ELC is still all they can sign. It's 2 years instead of 3 I believe but only the original team can burn a 3rd year to give the player some money.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Pronman lives in the world of recency bias. Whichever prospect has caught his eye recently gets a boost. 

Either way it is good to see that others outside of Buffalo think highly of our guys. Gotta keep stockpiling talent if we want to win. 

A defenseman or two would be nice.

Ehh... not a big Pronman fan. I feel like he doesn't really do enough research/watch enough film on most of these guys. Hard to blame him since there are so many, but still. For example here is how he described Peterka:

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Shot: Above NHL average

IMO Peterka is at least an above average skater. He's both fast and quick. I've seen nothing from him to convince me that his puck skills nor shot are above average. Additionally I think his compete is above average; his motor, especially on the forecheck is fantastic. Regardless of who is ranking prospects, having quite a few among the top 50 is pretty sweet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Don't apologize.  We didn't want you to, anyway.

All right, settle down, Beavis...

Oh, I will. Have no doubt.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

We are going to be AMAZING in 2 more years.

So amaaaaazing we're going to Snap it and Tok it on our IGs.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I imagine one of Johnson's issues is that he will be 3LHD for his entire career here.  I imagine that he sees himself as being more than that.

Unless he slides over to Power's off side. Just a thought but that might be a good place to play. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

31. Jack Quinn, RW, Buffalo

Aug. 2022 Ranking: 39

Analysis: Quinn has looked very good as a rookie NHLer, with the line of himself, Cozens and JJ Peterka clicking in the first half of the season. He’s got excellent hands and his stick handling in tight spaces stands out. Quinn makes a lot of tough passes and is a shot threat as well. His only knock is his pure footspeed, as I think his overall effort on and away from the puck is good too. He is trending to become a legit top-line winger.

Bubble top and middle-of-the-lineup player or quality starting goaltender

Quinn as a starting goalie? Huh? 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Let me tell you about David Reinbacher and Axel Sandin Pellikka, both are RHD and there is a good chance (right now) both are available in the mid to late teens. 

So...what if there is a better all around forward available at the spot? 

I'd take the defenseman, myself 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.