GDT: Sabres @ Blackhawks, 1/17/23, 8:30 pm, ESPN+ and MSG

PromoTheRobot

Today's game concludes Buffalo's eighth of 15 sets of back-to-back games this season, which began with a 4-1 loss to the Florida Panthers last night. 

The Sabres are 3-4-1 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 1-6-0 in the second game so far this season.

Buffalo's point breakdown in back-to-back sets this season is: four points (1), three points (0), two points (2), one point (1) and zero points (3).

A win in tonight's game would give the Sabres four consecutive wins over the Blackhawks for the first time in franchise history. Each of Buffalo's last two wins against Chicago have come in overtime.

This is the second and final meeting between the Sabres and Blackhawks this season. Buffalo defeated Chicago 4-3 in overtime on October 29 at KeyBank Center.
The Sabres are 4-3-3 in their last 10 games against the Blackhawks; 1-6-3 on the road.

This is the 128th game all-time between Buffalo and Chicago. Buffalo has a 57-53-17 series record. The Sabres are 20-34-9 on the road against the Blackhawks all-time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dahlin is 5 points off his career high. He’s played 41 games. 

Thanks for the reminder.

Dylan Cozens has hit career highs in goals, assists and points already - 14/26/40 - before he finished half a season.

Dude is 21. Only 6 Sabres have ever put up 70 points in a U22 season. Only 2 have put up 80. Eichel had 64 in 67 games in year 3.

Cue @Brawndo and his John Malkovich gif.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thanks for the reminder.

Dylan Cozens has hit career highs in goals, assists and points already - 14/26/40 - before he finished half a season.

Dude is 21. Only 6 Sabres have ever put up 70 points in a U22 season. Only 2 have put up 80. Eichel had 64 in 67 games in year 3.

Cue @Brawndo and his John Malkovich gif.

Ya, Jack did have 82 in 77 his 4th post draft season, same one DC is on now. Still, a 78 point pace for DC compared to Jack’s 87 is much, much closer than I’d have predicted. Cozens as 60 point borderline 1C masquerading as 2C already was tantalizing, a 70-80 point guy lined up behind our 1C has been the (pipe) dream since Black Sunday 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, Jack did have 82 in 77 his 4th post draft season, same one DC is on now. Still, a 78 point pace for DC compared to Jack’s 87 is much, much closer than I’d have predicted. Cozens as 60 point borderline 1C masquerading as 2C already was tantalizing, a 70-80 point guy lined up behind our 1C has been the (pipe) dream since Black Sunday 

Looks like Elite prospects calculates by birth year as opposed to draft year, so they consider this year for Cozens a direct comparable to Eichel’s year 3.

Not disputing your point at all, just clarifying the discrepancy.

Best U22 year in Sabres history was Pierre Turgeon’s 106. Andreychuk (80), Housley (77), Martin (74), Perreault (74), Gare (73) are the other guys to hit the mark - hall of fame calibre players, or close to it.

My point is that the scope of what’s Dylan is doing hasn’t had enough attention. If he does hit 70, he will be doing something that hasn’t been done in more than 30 years.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/all-time-season?team=53&age=u22

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Looks like Elite prospects calculates by birth year as opposed to draft year, so they consider this year for Cozens a direct comparable to Eichel’s year 3.

Not disputing your point at all, just clarifying the discrepancy.

Best U22 year in Sabres history was Pierre Turgeon’s 106. Andreychuk (80), Housley (77), Martin (74), Perreault (74), Gare (73)

My point is that the scope of what’s Dylan is doing hasn’t had enough attention. If he does hit 70, he will be doing something that hasn’t been done in more than 30 years.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/all-time-season?team=53&age=u22

Ya I’m in full agreement with your supposition. 

My year over year comparison is still better than EP’s, though - both age 21 to start the two seasons I used, both in post draft year 4. They are only 4 months apart within my comp as well as opposed to JE being 8 months younger in the other 

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Every game at this point kinda is at this point. The Sabres only have around 13 losses[0] left this season if they want to be a solid place for the playoffs.

[0] 40 games remaining, at 44 points, need 54 more points to be "safe", 27 wins, 13 losses. I'm not counting OTL/SO here.

Geez, not liking the sound of that! 

25 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Lance tweeted it is Anderson. 

Bummer.  Realize the team needs the W, but the upside of Comrie getting his head on straight seems significantly bigger than the downside of possibility losing the 2 points if Comrie doesn't come around.

Expecting the win if anybody better than PTR is between the pipes. 😉

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.