Charity Hockey Game Leads To Charges Filed

bob_sauve28

It's why I stopped playing soccer in my late 20s. No skill players think they can make up for it by being dirty and taking you out. 

Not worth the potential serious injuries from one of these idiots. Saw a few of my friend go down with torn knees, broken ankles, etc and I had a situation in indoor where a fat dude came running full speed as I got to the ball and literally threw me face first into the boards. Luckily I saw him coming and turned at the last second so I got my hand up or I likely would have broken my nose and possibly my face.

I got up and absolutely hammered him at midfield and sent him flying into a girl(it was coed) and he ended up on top of her and then the benches cleared. 

After that year and seeing some of my friends get hurt in outdoor I stopped playing. 

On 1/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, pastajoe said:

I’ll never get why a recreational hockey player doesn’t wear a full face cage. Some complain it blocks their vision, but it’s not their day job and you learn to adjust. Not worth the potential damage.

"It blocks my vision".  How's the goalie doing his job then?  I agree, I'm not going into work explaining to dubious coworkers that no, my black eye was a deflected slapshot during a 1230am pickup game...

On 1/14/2023 at 10:28 PM, matter2003 said:

t's why I stopped playing soccer in my late 20s. No skill players think they can make up for it by being dirty and taking you out. 

Dude kicked me in the ribs while I was on the floor with the ball in my arms, trying to knock the ball loose.  They don't even pull that ***** in the Premier League, where winning actually matters.  

Edited by Eleven

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I played flag football for charity this summer at the stadium. I'll never do it again. When teams were running pick plays and a guy elbowed me in the head I was over it. It wasn't a fun charity event. 

These stories are rough. Feeling fortunate because here in Roc we have a Sunday night league of mostly adult beginners.  Vibes are 99% good. If you get knocked down usually there's an apology and attempt to help you up.  It's terrible hockey but huge fun.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, pastajoe said:

I’ll never get why a recreational hockey player doesn’t wear a full face cage. Some complain it blocks their vision, but it’s not their day job and you learn to adjust. Not worth the potential damage.

Not to mention that they all grow up wearing cages. It's a fashion statement.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm not sure I understand what the guy did that was dirty. He stuck his stick out as the guy was shooting, the two sticks collided and the one stick rose up and cracked the guy in the mouth. That sort of thing happens all the time in hockey. It's not as if he gave the guy a two hander in the yap. Now if he legitimately was trying to fight him afterwards that's a dick move but it doesn't make the first thing a crime. It's hard to say without seeing the video.

It sucks the guy got hurt and depending on his insurance that can be really expensive. But that's why you wear a cage for beer league.

21 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I'm not sure I understand what the guy did that was dirty. He stuck his stick out as the guy was shooting, the two sticks collided and the one stick rose up and cracked the guy in the mouth. That sort of thing happens all the time in hockey. It's not as if he gave the guy a two hander in the yap. Now if he legitimately was trying to fight him afterwards that's a dick move but it doesn't make the first thing a crime. It's hard to say without seeing the video.

It sucks the guy got hurt and depending on his insurance that can be really expensive. But that's why you wear a cage for beer league.

I was starting to write something similar. Without seeing the video, it could very well be a hockey, careless, or malicious play. I do wonder if police would have been called if the accused had not been a complete knob.

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

These stories are rough. Feeling fortunate because here in Roc we have a Sunday night league of mostly adult beginners.  Vibes are 99% good. If you get knocked down usually there's an apology and attempt to help you up.  It's terrible hockey but huge fun.  

You playing at Bill Grays?  Which level?  My team is D/D+ or whatever they call it.. it's too much for me these days.. I want to drop down a level.  Sick of playing kids who were playing AA/AAA 2 years ago.

8 minutes ago, LTS said:

You playing at Bill Grays?  Which level?  My team is D/D+ or whatever they call it.. it's too much for me these days.. I want to drop down a level.  Sick of playing kids who were playing AA/AAA 2 years ago.

Zamboni Intermediate at Thomas Creek.  I've heard BG's is a little more amped.  If you can hang with 20-something AA/AAA you might get a little bored/frustrated with this group. There's also an Advanced group.  The guy that runs it re-rosters the two teams every week (same 25-30 guys typically) so I think that helps prevent any dumb stuff. Walk-ins welcome, PM me if you gonna try it.

8 hours ago, MattPie said:

I was starting to write something similar. Without seeing the video, it could very well be a hockey, careless, or malicious play. I do wonder if police would have been called if the accused had not been a complete knob.

The story is written horribly. I have no idea what happened after reading that. Initially it read like a slap shot deflected up into the face. 

12 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

What is this league?

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What is this league?

Zamboni at Thomas Creek aka Rochester Ice Center.  It's more like pick-up than a league. No refs, no scoresheet. "Coach" takes us through drills for 15-20 minutes first, then game on.  Coach blows whistles for icing and off-sides, drops puck for face-offs, calls the occasional penalty (penalty shot). Other than that it's mostly fun and laughs and the progression as an adult learner is so addictive if you are that type.  

22 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Is this the Never Ever League? I would love to do it, but I live almost two hours away. I tried to learn how to play several years ago, but the clinics and pickup games I tried were demoralizing.

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is this the Never Ever League? I would love to do it, but I live almost two hours away. I tried to learn how to play several years ago, but the clinics and pickup games I tried were demoralizing.

Never Ever League is at Bill Grays (MCC).  This is Zamboni in Fairport which I think is similar theme but more simple.  The beginner Zamboni group is extremely welcoming and a good mix of brand new players and a few with experience but not necessarily interested in glory / just out for the laughs and exercise.  I hear ya re demoralizing. The guy that runs Zamboni (Luke) is fantastic in terms of setting the tone and keeping it cool.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, shrader said:

The story is written horribly. I have no idea what happened after reading that. Initially it read like a slap shot deflected up into the face. 

I had the same frustration.

From what I could gather, the offending action was a hockey play (but possibly a penalty? (slashing?)) -- i.e., trying to restrain/limit/affect an attacking player's shot by placing your stick across the follow-through of that player's shot. That led to the defending player's stick being brought up into the attacking player's face ... and ugh.

I didn't pick up on the defending player's subsequent efforts to fight the guy whose face was broken?

52 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I didn't pick up on the defending player's subsequent efforts to fight the guy whose face was broken?

I can't see the article any more, but I  think it went something like, play happens, defender starts chasing the injured player around to fight[0], including to the locker room, and the building management threw him out before the police showed up. Then charges were pressed.

[0] Hard to find a good reason for this, other than "beer-league all-star tough guy" scenario. I assume there were words regarding the defender's lack of stick control and/or coming in late, or something. Which, you know, totally means you have to fight the guy after knocking his teeth out. I can't imagine playing physical sports as an adult, too many sad tough-guys out there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.