Rochester Americans 2023-2024

Johnny Utah

On 1/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, Johnny Utah said:

Just looking at the pipeline to see who might be leaving and what the replacement situation look like.

I'm not sure what some of the contracts look like so I just went to CapFriendly to see the Sabres and NHL contracts.

Current Amerks (RFAs and UFAs)

• Murray - 24yrs RFA
  • Rousek - 24yrs RFA
  • Weissbach - 24yrs RFA
  • Bjork - 26yrs RFA
  • Pekar - 22yrs RFA
  • Malone - 27yrs UFA
  • Pilut - 27yrs UFA
  • Priskie - 26yrs UFA
  • Davies - 26yrs RFA
  • Cecconi - 25yrs RFA

Lots of decisions to make in this group but not sure I see any obvious graduations to Sabres. Lots of value players that may or may not be back. Age will play a role as well within Adams plans

Possible Amerks Additions

• Levi - G (unsigned)
  • Portillo - G (unsigned)
  • Johnson - D (unsigned)
  • Komarov - D (unsigned)
  • Novikov - D (unsigned)
  • Östlund - F (signed)
  • Bloom - F (signed)
  • Nadeau - F (signed)
  • Marjala - F (unsigned)
  • Karlsson - F (unsigned)
  • Konecny - F (unsigned)
  • Neuchev - F (unsigned)
  • Ratkovic - F (unsigned)
  • Sjodin - F (unsigned)
  • Lofberg - F (unsigned)

Think they will sign Levi this year and he will be our main goalie going forward with UPL sticking with Sabres.  Portillo and Johnson walk or are traded so not part of the long term picture. Seems the ones that make sense are the signed players in Östlund, Bloom and Nadeau.

Before you jump all over me....Savoie, Lindgren and Richard (?) are too young so they have not been considered and Poltopov is signed in Russia for the next few years.

No love for the Baron?  He deserves a place on the list on name alone. 😂

Last night's Amerks' box score is a fascinating 2023-era read. Belleville has the interim coach and it's feisty. Multiple "continuing altercation" misconducts called, multiple bench minors for unsportsmanlike, multiple roughing calls...   Not a single fight.

Through it all, Captain Mersch steps up and scores 2 to take the lead (they'd then give up the tying goal before winning in OT).

On defense for next year, I hope KA signs Komarov to an ELC.  He’s having a breakout season in the Q.

I’d also like to see him sign one or two college UFAs. Jake Livingston and Jacob Bengtsson look like good additions if KA can sign them.  Both are 6-3.  They also also good at both ends.  If Johnson walks, these guys or others like them should be a priority.

I also want to draft Casey’s brother Luke who plays D for Minn.  Has 14 pts in 26 games and is a +14.

From FCHockey.com  https://nhlentrydraft.com/players/luke-mittelstadt/

“An efficient skater on the blue line. Uses his crossovers to start the breakout. Able to keep up with most of his opponents speed wise, but needs to focus on his straight-line skating. Good stance and stride overall. Strong on his edges, able to change direction smoothly and reacts to play quickly. Agile enough to consistently be apart of the play and create his own space. Battles hard for space in front of the net and clears enough room for his goalie to see better. Consistently taking away space in the defensive zone and is very aware of where he needs to be. Closes the passing lanes and is willing to block shots for his team. Competes hard for the puck in the board battles and consistently gets the pucks out of the defensive zone. Needs to slow down his game so he can process the ice. Tends to rush the puck off of his stick, with the first instinct being at the net. Can force turnovers in the neutral zone effectively, but he has trouble getting passes off under pressure. Understands when to be conservative and knows when to get more aggressive. Able to control play at both high and slow paces. Very apt at completing accurate stretch passes to his teammates. Applies good pressure on the puck carrier, making it difficult for them to find space.”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

On defense for next year, I hope KA signs Komarov to an ELC.  He’s having a breakout season in the Q.

I’d also like to see him sign one or two college UFAs. Jake Livingston and Jacob Bengtsson look like good additions if KA can sign them.  Both are 6-3.  They also also good at both ends.  If Johnson walks, these guys or others like them should be a priority.

How good is Johnson? If he signs, would he likely have to play a full year in Rochester? Is he at best a third pairing player? Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I also want to draft Casey’s brother Luke who plays D for Minn.  Has 14 pts in 26 games and is a +14.

I was all for using the final 7th round pick last draft for Mitts the Younger. Is he another Bryson in build and style? Sure he is. But there was value there. Let him go through college and see what strength he's able to build up, and then let him work in Rochester for a few years as the next generation of Pilut and see what you have.

This is an interesting sign of the times. The Amerks are holding three "Sensory-Friendly" nights for the autistic. Must be a whole lot of autistic people out there.

https://www.amerks.com/schedule/sensory-friendly-nights-2022-23

The Amerks will be hosting a trio of sensory-friendly games throughout the season. These games will include lower music levels, no flashing lights, and quiet spaces throughout the arena. 

Please note: vuvuzelas, cow bells, and other loud noisemakers won’t be allowed into the game or sold at the team store.

Last season, the Amerks introduced a sensory-friendly room at Autism Awareness Night, which included:

Blue light light coverings

White noise machine

LED lightcubes

Lava lamps

Large weighted sloth lap covering

Sensory body sack

Bouncing ball with handle

Caterpillar tunnel

Various sensory and fidget toys

Sensory bags

The sensory bags are also available at every game and event at Blue Cross Arena. Bags can be picked up and returned to the First Aid Room. Each Sensory Bag includes noise canceling headphones, earplugs, sunglasses, various sensory focus toys and activities, communication cards and more!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Quint said:

This is an interesting sign of the times. The Amerks are holding three "Sensory-Friendly" nights for the autistic. Must be a whole lot of autistic people out there.

https://www.amerks.com/schedule/sensory-friendly-nights-2022-23

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=Autism+in+the+United+States

First result from www.autismspeaks.org

Autism Prevalence

In 2021, the CDC reported that approximately 1 in 44 children in the U.S. is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), according to 2018 data.

1 in 27 boys identified with autism

1 in 116 girls identified with autism

So yes... there are a lot of people out there who are diagnosed on the spectrum.  A simple search would tell you just how common it is.

Pray tell, do you find what the Amerks are doing to be a positive or negative thing? Given the way you've worded your post I could assume, but I'd love for you to clarify it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

So yes... there are a lot of people out there who are diagnosed on the spectrum.  A simple search would tell you just how common it is.

Pray tell, do you find what the Amerks are doing to be a positive or negative thing? Given the way you've worded your post I could assume, but I'd love for you to clarify it.

After 4 concussions, the last about 2 yrs ago, my son has light and sound sensitivities.  This may be a game he can actually enjoy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Weave said:

After 4 concussions, the last about 2 yrs ago, my son has light and sound sensitivities.  This may be a game he can actually enjoy.

I hit awesome, not for your son's struggles but that he might be able to enjoy a game.  I would hope it would go without saying, but in this day and age I felt I should clarify.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I'm neutral on it. I just posted it because I thought it was interesting. You seem to be trying to pick a fight. Instead of attacking me, what do you think about it?

Edited by Quint

10 hours ago, Quint said:

I'm neutral on it. I just posted it because I thought it was interesting. You seem to be trying to pick a fight. Instead of attacking me, what do you think about it?

I'm not trying to pick a fight. You made the comment "Must be a whole lot of autistic people out there". It's easy to find out as I shared. You made no additional comment however so it does leave things up for interpretation. I asked for clarity.

I think it's great. These are the kinds of things you do as a team to get feedback from your regular fans and hopefully from those who attend because they are trying to include more people who otherwise would not be able to enjoy the game.

9 hours ago, shrader said:

Hell, I don’t have any issues but I’d love a game with less music and flashing lights. 

Given the sound system at BCA having no music would be fantastic.  I actually avoid games because of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.