UPL recalled, Quinn Loaned to Rochester

Brawndo

Can Quinn (who whichever player is down) practice with the team if they're assigned to Rochester on paper? Or would they have to practice independently w/out the team? Not sure how much that matters at the moment with the schedule constraints, can't imagine they'll have many team practices in the near future.

7 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Can Quinn (who whichever player is down) practice with the team if they're assigned to Rochester on paper? Or would they have to practice independently w/out the team? Not sure how much that matters at the moment with the schedule constraints, can't imagine they'll have many team practices in the near future.

An excellent question.

Not directly fully addressed in the CBA.  A player that practices w/ the team counts against the cap.  He also counts against the active roster even if he is sent down by the 5PM daily roster move deadline for player transfers, so it APPEARS that 1 of the 3 that are in this ELC waiver exempt rotation can't practice w/ the team but don't know that for certain.

Would guess that UPL will practice w/ the Amerks on days he isn't playing and the other 2 will practice w/ the Sabres on those days, but don't know that for certain.

Also, don't know how the Sabres are going to handle the 4 game road trip 10 days from now.

But it is nice to finally see the Sabres pushing the envelope of what the rules are rather than meekly taking the most conservative interpretation of the rules at their own expense.

And a week or so ago, somebody was asking a question about the status of a player that has been waived but hadn't yet cleared waivers. (Specifically regarding Pilut being on waivers.)  While in the limbo of waiting to see if they have cleared waivers, players are officially non-roster waived.  Meaning, they count against the cap but don't count against the 23 man roster limit and are not available to play for the team. They also can't be traded while on waivers.

Edited by Taro T
4 game road trip, not 5 game.
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

So, Asplund will be on the Girgensons line as the Kid Line gets reconstituted?

Don't believe anybody but UPL's mother & possibly Adams, Granato, & Bales saw him as the team's #1 at the midpoint of the season; but yet here we are.  Good for him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't believe anybody but UPL's mother & possibly Adams, Granato, & Bales saw him as the team's #1 at the midpoint of the season; but yet here we are.  Good for him.

Most likely and that’s the best spot for Him when He is in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 3

There will inevitably be injuries to the forward group so this will not be necessary. The Jost line is finding a groove, which is good. They need the kid line to get a spark so there are three scoring lines.

Asplund with KO and Girgs may be a good fit.
Krebs hasn’t played well on the wing.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

@dudacek did 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

There will inevitably be injuries to the forward group so this will not be necessary. The Jost line is finding a groove, which is good. They need the kid line to get a spark so there are three scoring lines.

It was interesting to me that the Winnipeg announcers kept referring to the Jost line as "Buffalo's 4th line" 

Since they have broken up the kid line I would move Kyle up with Cozens. Asplund on the line with Girgs. Cozens needs to be paired with someone capable of scoring in the right situations. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't get this "strategy".   Why not send him down, let him actually play a game or two there and then call him up and send someone else down and repeat. What harm is there in letting them actually play a few games in the minors now and again?

Because Granato (and many, many other coaches for decades) believe there's value in letting rookies watch a game or two from the press box, which is why Peterka and Quinn sat for a minute.  But with three goalies, we needed to play roster games on paper to remain compliant.  This isn't punishment.  It's a chance to learn and a chance to rest.  They were never going to put on a Rochester uniform.

Also, "the harm" is that they're not practicing at the NHL level, they're not with the team for quick call ups, they aren't taking a rest from games, they aren't watching the NHL games, and they aren't making their NHL salaries (all ELCs are two way deals resulting in lower salaries for AHL games).

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Because Granato (and many, many other coaches for decades) believe there's value in letting rookies watch a game or two from the press box, which is why Peterka and Quinn sat for a minute.  But with three goalies, we needed to play roster games on paper to remain compliant.  This isn't punishment.  It's a chance to learn and a chance to rest.  They were never going to put on a Rochester uniform.

Also, "the harm" is that they're not practicing at the NHL level, they're not with the team for quick call ups, they aren't taking a rest from games, they aren't watching the NHL games, and they aren't making their NHL salaries (all ELCs are two way deals resulting in lower salaries for AHL games).

All this, plus it supports the message the team wants sent: you aren’t being sent down, you are still part of the team and you are still going to play. We are just having to deal with what we think will be a temporary roster crunch due to unexpected good health.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, dudacek said:

I think it’s inevitable that UPL becomes the starter.

The only real questions for me is under what circumstances (injury, poor play by one or both of the others, or his own good play), and whether we are still within striking distance when it happens.

I disagree with the notion other teams in the division are in better shape. Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit all have as many questions as we do and Florida’s duo is no sure thing either.

Now someone will emerge from the pack as better than we think, but I think it’s hard to say who.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:58 PM, Thorny said:

Do you view UPL becoming the starter as more likely a good thing, a neutral thing, or a bad thing? I’m a little surprised your thoughts on him are as strong as believing it’s “inevitable” he’ll become the starter. Unless I’m misreading that and you simply mean he’ll be “starting” at some point. Which I agree will happen, I’d just say “Starter” implies a more mainstay term.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:11 PM, dudacek said:

I think the most likely scenario is that Comrie is adequate but not “good” and the Sabres eventually make the switch in a bid to jumpstart their season and get a real look at what they have in UPL.

I also would not be surprised if at least one of these things will happen within the first 2 months to accelerate the process: Anderson gets hurt, UPL is outstanding in Rochester, or Comrie crumbles under the weight of his opportunity.

The switch might be good bad or indifferent depending on the circumstances. I just don’t think Comrie will be good enough or UPL bad enough to prevent it from happening.

Whether UPL is good enough to hang on to the crease once he gets it is another story. If pressed, I guess I find it easier to picture him as a “starter” than I do Comrie, but not in any substantive way.

It’s a reasonably interesting exchange considering it happened 3 months ago. 

I did a serviceable amount of grilling there in my follow up ie “will he start at one point or BE the starter?” and the follow up, as you can see by my bold, ended on his selection of UPL over Comrie, after being pressed...so, I’ll give the call full-marks. 

7 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Rochester is what? 30 minutes from Buffalo or thereabouts. I'd say that's a pretty quick call up. Young guys need rest? We need better young guys then. Aren't making their NHL salaries? Ahhhh, poor babies, they'll have to drive a Honda instead of a Porsche. Play better and stay. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rochester is what? 30 minutes from Buffalo or thereabouts. I'd say that's a pretty quick call up. Young guys need rest? We need better young guys then. Aren't making their NHL salaries? Ahhhh, poor babies, they'll have to drive a Honda instead of a Porsche. Play better and stay. 

75 minutes arena to arena. But these are paper transactions. No one is driving.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya but don't they buy or rent a condo somewhere in between? 

Truly doubt it because ...

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Batavia?

can't see any 20 something pro athlete (who isn't working @ Batavia Downs) wanting to live in Batavia.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have no idea, I haven't lived in Ontario for over 20 years and haven't been to the Buffalo area in about 25. I really don't remember what's where or how it's evolved. 

Batavia is a town almost exactly halfway between Buffalo and Rochester. But as @Taro T says, no young player would want to live there. It's a dull, small town. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wasn't there a horse race track there? Batavia Downs? 

Batavia is a poor mans harness racing track surrounded by about 1 mile of below average household income community and a 20 mile ring of farms.  Unless they are playing for the Batavia Muckdogs, athletes are avoiding Batavia.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:05 PM, French Collection said:

We have been lucky so far on injury front with forwards 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.