GDT: Jets @ Sabres 1/12/2023, 7pm, MSG ๐Ÿ“บ, WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The 2 things that had been rolling for the Sabres most all season continued their mini-slump & the team lost.

All this team needed to at least get to OT & very likely a regulation win was either the Thompson line not getting bottled up or the PP connecting.ย  Even without their bread and butter working, they were tied w/ 10 minutes left.

Teams w/out Vezina candidates won't be as successful at shutting the 1st line & the PP down.ย  Stinks that they lost 3 in a row, but they could definitely have won tonight & probably could've beat Seattle too w/ a break or 2.

Just have to find 6 extra points over 0.600 the rest of the way.ย  Start it by winning in Smashvile.

Bold 1- Seems like a little hyperbole.

Bold 2- if my aunt had a peepee, theyโ€™d be my uncle.

That was a pretty entertaining hockey game. Much better effort. They were skating and using their speed, which is their identity and is the way they have to play to win. Ultimately came down to the breakaway goal as the difference but good goaltending on both sides and some exciting hockey.ย 

Winnipeg announcers (for my broadcast) kept saying it was a "weird game for the Jets" and the jets were "not playing Jet hockey" but I don't really know what they meant. I think (just a guess) that they usually play a more structured and disciplined control game and this was a little haphazard but I think they just had trouble with the speed and pace that the Sabres brought to the game. Not sure since I rarely watch Jet hockey.ย 

Asplund was okay but I really don't see what Hinostroza brings over Peterka or Quinn. Decent hockey game. Pity we couldn't tie it. Game of inches.ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Quint said:

Can't wait til Power learns how to shoot.

He seems to find the odd slot chance every now and again, innit.

I agree that there is considerable potential in Power's offensive game. It seems to come naturally to him when he's not thinking too much, and the refinement/development of a dangerous shot would be an amazing bonus...with his elite size/frame, Power has so much room to grow with his shot wrt pace especially but also with release. He should spend a LOT of time with both Dahlin and Thompson on these points.

Dahlin needed to improve his shot, overall, dramatically and Thompson needed to improve his release. Both did it. Thompson especially could provide some guidance on shooting, given his very similar stature.ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Can't wait til Power learns how to shoot.

He will, but I see this slightly differently. A lot of rookie D men shoot the puck and shoot it into traffic and at inopportune times and it just results in lost possession. Power it seems to me knows this and is making smart, but overly careful choices. As he gains confidence and experience he will start to unload and when he does, they will be good quality shots more often than not.ย 

Power will develop differently than Dahlin, but when he gets there he will be dominant imo.ย 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

He wins you a lot of games. ย I hope he's appreciated there. ย I've wanted him here since his WJC year.

Most fans have no illusions where we'd be without him...just look at our games without him in net or when he has the rare bad game.

11 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Please trade Casey Middlestadt. He is a turd. And what happened to the highest scoring team in the NHL? Garbage!!

Did you watch this game while blindfolded? The pass he made to Olofsson for a goal was divine. Middlestadt played a good game and so did his line.ย 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

ย Watched the third. ย The Sabres more than held their own physically. ย The Vezina trophy in net was the difference that period. ย I cannot speak for what you all saw in the first, of course.

You captured the essence of this game. Their elite goalie needed to play at that level for his team to get the win. From an overall view of this game the Sabres weren't outplayed. There certainly were ebbs and flows for each team but this was an evenly played game.ย 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You captured the essence of this game. Their elite goalie needed to play at that level for his team to get the win. From an overall view of this game the Sabres weren't outplayed. There certainly were ebbs and flows for each team but this was an evenly played game.ย 

who knew that goaltending was important?

• Haha (+1) 2

I think Hellebuyck played a great game last night. UPL was good but the guy at the other end was better.

Power, VO and KO had great chances that missed the net in the first period. Bag one or two of those and the outcome wouldโ€™ve been different.

There will be times where the Sabres win these types of games, just not last night.

Cโ€™mon Sabres, get back on the winning track!

Edited by French Collection
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

In hindsight, I'd say yes, the speed gave them some difficulties. They beat us with net front presence and one good breakaway, but the speed threw them off their game.ย 

And that break away was due to a Dahlin brain fart... hate on the power play or otherwise when they try to go D to D with a defender standing there.. get the damn puck deep.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

The reason we lost is we are not as strong defensively and cannot get close to clearing the front of our own net. We also seem afraid to go to their front of the net.ย 

Yep. They did not hold our own physically.ย 

The score effect in the third was not enough to make me think it was a good game for them. Flinging all those shots at the net (ala Rob Ray) was useless with nobody in front of the net (Rob actually even mentions that ๐Ÿ˜€).

The only time they had someone camped out was when they pulled the goalie. What is that 6 games in a row the Sabres have had to pull the goalie?โ€ฆ thatโ€™s fantastic.

1 minute ago, Ross Rhea said:

or hit somebody with his very large frame

Blake Wheeler owned him in the second period. But I have a hard time criticizing a 20 YO D man against Blake Wheeler. Iโ€™m looking forward to watching that matchup the next time they play.

• Agree 1

Like i said earlier, there may be some more physicality that needs to get some size and experience, but i am not betting the farm on it. We have been drafting non physical for awhile and more playmakers. We are going to have to look from the outside for this. I do love Jost's play though. He seems to not mind crashing the net and he ALWAYS seems to skate with speed. At times it looks like our team coasts and does not play with urgency. (Maybe overplaying by Granato?)ย 

One last note - Other teams have caught on to our Thompson PP and blanket him hard. Team needs to adjust to open him up and make other players more dangerous that they have to pay attention to. Right now the PP is a one trick pony.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.