Pass completion hello

PASabreFan

This is a great roll you are on @PASabreFan, in line with the tracking of zone entries and exits.

Much more useful to me and indicative of a player's individual utility than things like shot attempts and high-danger chances which can strongly influenced by linemates, opposition situations and tactics.

I wonder how much these things are tracked by individual teams as part of their proprietary analytics.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I always look at Ringo in these pictures and wonder if he's thinking, "Whatever, guys.  I'm just here for the ride and to keep time."

He was actually a very good drummer in the rock/pop genre of the time.  Early days he was a great live drummer and a showman, later days he was pretty creative in the studio with his beats.   He had a less is more style that works in that group that had enough egos.  It’s pretty common that people think he wasn’t much because he didn’t write songs but other drummers respect him. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He was actually a very good drummer in the rock/pop genre of the time.  Early days he was a great live drummer and a showman, later days he was pretty creative in the studio with his beats.   He had a less is more style that works in that group that had enough egos.  It’s pretty common that people think he wasn’t much because he didn’t write songs but other drummers respect him.

Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite Beatle.  I like the music he's done since then.

He was "home grown" as a drummer and played more by feel than by reading the music.  I heard an interview where he said he couldn't really read music, so the band would have to say stuff like "play bum-bum-BAA at this point of the song" or whatever and upon playing something once he could duplicate it.  But it was just seat-of-the-pants practical ability and very little training as such.

Edited by Doohickie

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite Beatle.  I like the music he's done since then.

He was "home grown" as a drummer and played more by feel than by reading the music.  I heard an interview where he said he couldn't really read music, so the band would have to say stuff like "play bum-bum-BAA at this point of the song" or whatever and upon playing something once he could duplicate it.  But it was just seat-of-the-pants practical ability and very little training as such.

Not unlike  most all rock and pop drummers.  You either start with a beat the drummer came up with and make a song, or most likely the drummer listens to the song demo and adds the percussion in afterward. 

None of the Beatles could read or write music.  They started out covering songs by ithers.  When they would “write” a song they had to memorize it, maybe jot down the lyrics and the chord progression with the words.  

Paul has said he could not write songs on paper in music notation and he still cannot.  Same with John. Same with most rock/pop bands.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, that's where George Martin came in.

They didn't have training in music theory, didn't understand the notation, but they had an innate feel for it.  Here's a YouTube video that looks into it.

Great video.  If you are into this stuff then watch the documentary McCartney 3, 2, 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Paul also went over a lot of Ringo's drum work and redid it himself. Paul being Paul? 

Ringo was also the Beatle that John handed a joint to that Bob Dylan had given him and told Ringo to smoke it. They experimented on Ringo! 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Not unlike  most all rock and pop drummers.  You either start with a beat the drummer came up with and make a song, or most likely the drummer listens to the song demo and adds the percussion in afterward. 

None of the Beatles could read or write music.  They started out covering songs by ithers.  When they would “write” a song they had to memorize it, maybe jot down the lyrics and the chord progression with the words.  

Paul has said he could not write songs on paper in music notation and he still cannot.  Same with John. Same with most rock/pop bands.  

I played in a band for a few years, and it was the same despite 3 of the 4 members having gone through the whole school band process from 3rd grade to high school. We could read and write music, but never did it for our own songs. Still remember some of the bass lines, lol. Only the first drummer made a career out of it, he's a session musician in Nashville and plays on cruises.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Paul also went over a lot of Ringo's drum work and redid it himself. Paul being Paul? 

Ringo was also the Beatle that John handed a joint to that Bob Dylan had given him and told Ringo to smoke it. They experimented on Ringo! 

True in the later years.  Paul learned to play drums along with guitar, bass, piano, keys, …

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I took 3 years of guitar as an arts elective in high school. We learned to read music and most of our grading was theory based (it's a good thing, because I sucked at playing... still do now).

Traditional sheet music is so much more non-intuitive than tab for playing guitar. Especially since the same notes can be fretted differently, but they sound noticeably different in tone depending on position (unless there's a more advanced way to represent this that we didn't cover). You still need the note symbols over top though for the timing though.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Pimlach said:

That was George Harrison’s defense against his plagiarism lawsuit. If I can’t read music, how could I plagiarize it? It’s really not uncommon.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

That was George Harrison’s defense against his plagiarism lawsuit. If I can’t read music, how could I plagiarize it? It’s really not uncommon.

That's surprising, because it's not hard to pick up a song just by listening to it. I can do it, and as I said before, I suck.

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

If you play enough you will hear parts of other songs in songs you are playing or practicing. 

Just yesterday I was practicing the song Blue Sky (Allman Bros Band).  Going onto the chorus there is a chord change from B major to A to E back to A.  I was fooling around with the feel and timing of those changes, then experimented with playing it further up into the middle of the neck.  Since there are two guitars and multi tracks of guitar, I was looking for a way to play the notes within these chords to be picked individually, to get a fuller sound.  While fiddling around,  all of a sudden I figured out a section of the song Mandolin Wind (Rod Stewart) and sure enough, that song has chord changes from B major to A and I happened to pick out the melody.   The songs are totally different otherwise.  

I doubt George purposely plagiarized the song, I think that stuff happens because there are only 7 notes in a scale, and only so many combinations work for rock/pop.   It is the timing that you apply to the notes that make the music.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.