Faceoff Guru & a Couple Stay at Home Defensemen

CallawaySabres

I really think this is all the Sabres need before the trade deadline to not only reach the 8 spot, but to potentially do some damage once they are in there. The great thing is that we are not looking for a top D man or a 1st or 2nd line center. The needs this team has right now are very, very achievable. These guys are dead last in the NHL on faceoffs and it is REALLY costing them on the penalty kill (along with clearing some bodies from in front of the net).

If the Blues are out of the playoff race by the deadline, I could for sure see them offering up O'Reilly. What would it take to make that happen? I think the bad blood with this organization has washed away from other members departing and it could be the perfect fit. As far the Dmen, any names in mind that would fit this description?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just not interested in O'Reilly.  Is he still a good player? Maybe, probabably, but whos roster spot is he going to take here and what is the long term cost?  I dont' think they want to give him away and I don't want to give up a legit prospect for someone who is not going to be a top 2 line center, especially one who is over 30 years old.  Again, its not as if he isn't a good player, but you aren't going to trade away all of your young assets....so if you choose to trade SOME of them, I want the help on the back end before the front end.

Now, find a a guy on the D that can be a legit top 4 guy, and I'm all for that. Especially if he is more than a rental.  He could be a top 4 guy...or a 5-6 guy where you give that last pair more minutes to take the strain off of your other top guys.  But it has to be someone who can be here long term.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm just not interested in O'Reilly.  Is he still a good player? Maybe, probabably, but whos roster spot is he going to take here and what is the long term cost?  I dont' think they want to give him away and I don't want to give up a legit prospect for someone who is not going to be a top 2 line center, especially one who is over 30 years old.  Again, its not as if he isn't a good player, but you aren't going to trade away all of your young assets....so if you choose to trade SOME of them, I want the help on the back end before the front end.

Now, find a a guy on the D that can be a legit top 4 guy, and I'm all for that. Especially if he is more than a rental.  He could be a top 4 guy...or a 5-6 guy where you give that last pair more minutes to take the strain off of your other top guys.  But it has to be someone who can be here long term.

I would not give away 1 prospect, not one. This would strictly be a rental because I honestly don't think the Blues are going to sign him next year. Casey, a 3rd and 1 more player would probably get it done....unless a contender came in a blew St Louis away. The Blues are on the outside looking in and I don't see that changing over the next several weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I would not give away 1 prospect, not one. This would strictly be a rental because I honestly don't think the Blues are going to sign him next year. Casey, a 3rd and 1 more player would probably get it done....unless a contender came in a blew St Louis away. The Blues are on the outside looking in and I don't see that changing over the next several weeks.

I think if ROR is healthy, someone will give more than that. I agree with you though on not giving up more, just to me that will rule the Sabres out.  Will someone offer St. Louis a 1st and prospects? I hightly doubt it. But I can see a mid level prospect and a pick, or maybe a late 1st going there for him...to rich for me.

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I really think this is all the Sabres need before the trade deadline to not only reach the 8 spot, but to potentially do some damage once they are in there. The great thing is that we are not looking for a top D man or a 1st or 2nd line center. The needs this team has right now are very, very achievable. These guys are dead last in the NHL on faceoffs and it is REALLY costing them on the penalty kill (along with clearing some bodies from in front of the net).

If the Blues are out of the playoff race by the deadline, I could for sure see them offering up O'Reilly. What would it take to make that happen? I think the bad blood with this organization has washed away from other members departing and it could be the perfect fit. As far the Dmen, any names in mind that would fit this description?

There's not a chance in hell Pegula is agreeing to a ROR trade imo.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I have less than zero interest in Horvat 

2 more goals to match his career high. This guy is going to want big $$ and he will 28 in a few months.

He would be a better pickup having an average Horvat season, slot in as 3C and not break the bank as Father Time erodes his skills.

Bring in two stay at home D.  Where have I heard that before?

Seriously, I'm glad everyone seems to be getting on the bandwagon that we need some D upgrades, something that was needed in the off-season.  Bush was a terrible acquisition and he and anyone else is a terrible pairing.  Bryson, Bush, Clague all need to be replaced the sooner the better. 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously, I'm glad everyone seems to be getting on the bandwagon that we need some D upgrades, something that was needed in the off-season.  Bush was a terrible acquisition and he and anyone else is a terrible pairing.  Bryson, Bush, Clague all need to be replaced the sooner the better. 

Don't know that Lyubushkin is a terrible acquisition but he has been disappointing.  A lot of times D brought in as FAs/trades don't necessarily mesh at 1st, especially if there are injuries, taking most if not all of year 1 learning new systems & partners.   Took Lydman 1/2 a season to mesh w/Tallinder, Scandella was working through injuries & adjustments his 1st year +, & Spacek was a healthy scratch in the playoffs his 1st year in B&G and he then wore the captain's C at the 1st Winter Classic.  Just naming 3 ottomh that played well for the Sabres after shaky starts.

That Lyubushkin has been paired w/ a tweener anytime he's been healthy has not helped his cause.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Don't know that Lyubushkin is a terrible acquisition but he has been disappointing.  A lot of times D brought in as FAs/trades don't necessarily mesh at 1st, especially if there are injuries, taking most if not all of year 1 learning new systems & partners.   Took Lydman 1/2 a season to mesh w/Tallinder, Scandella was working through injuries & adjustments his 1st year +, & Spacek was a healthy scratch in the playoffs his 1st year in B&G and he then wore the captain's C at the 1st Winter Classic.  Just naming 3 ottomh that played well for the Sabres after shaky starts.

That Lyubushkin has been paired w/ a tweener anytime he's been healthy has not helped his cause.

Neither do the dumb penalties, the aimless passes, the being out of position or the over pursuit of the puck.  Other than those issues he's been great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bush was a good signing that has yet to pan out; there's no assured "good play" clause in any contract. Just look at Philly who dealt for Ellis only for him to get a career ending injury within a week of starting last year. 

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Bush was a good signing that has yet to pan out; there's no assured "good play" clause in any contract. Just look at Philly who dealt for Ellis only for him to get a career ending injury within a week of starting last year. 

No he wasn't.  It's like saying Ville Leino was a good signing.  We could have received similar results for 2/3 less because all we are getting is veteran minimum play.  He simply is a low hockey IQ player.   That's what he was in Toronto and AZ and that is what he is here.  He's like Risto with Zero offense (or Risto this year).

We need two players who are positionally sound and get the puck up to the forwards and out of the zone.  

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No he wasn't.  It's like saying Ville Leino was a good signing.  We could have received similar results for 2/3 less because all we are getting is veteran minimum play.  He simply is a low hockey IQ player.   That's what he was in Toronto and AZ and that is what he is here.  He's like Risto with Zero offense (or Risto this year).

We need two players who are positionally sound and get the puck up to the forwards and out of the zone.  

He was considered to be very good defensively while an offensive black hole with physicality. He seemed to promptly injure his leg and has been a step slower since and due to that we have seen him look more like a unreliable old man Josh Gorges instead of the hard hitting guy he was the first few games. To say the vast majority of us didn't like the signing or think he could be a solid Bot pair dman is revisionist history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.