Jeff Marek believes Portillo will test free agency.

Buffalonill

3 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Maybe because they are struggling defensively or he wants to possibly go to a team that is better 🤷‍♂️

I am curious as to what his reasons actually are.

Im skeptical it’s either of the above: those are factors for veteran free agents, not prospects who will be almost certainly be doing a lengthy apprenticeship in the minors. It’s hard to say what any team will be like in those areas when he gets his opportunity.

Most decisions of this nature come down to money, opportunity, work environment and or family/lifestyle issues.

I think opportunity could very much play into things: this organization has 2 others in the “heir apparent” role. It might make sense to find an organization with a gaping hole in the depth chart under “potential starter 20-25”.

The Sabres and the city of Buffalo have certainly improved their reputation, but they haven’t erased all stigma. I could be wrong, but Portillo strikes me as someone who is coming from a position of privilege.

Money in terms of salary shouldn’t be an issue - all ELCs are the same - but I’m curious as to whether there are business opportunities off the ice that play into it. We know he’s an MBA student already involved in his own venture. Maybe he wants to be in a place better situated to chase his post-hockey career.

He might see a better fit for himself in a place like Toronto - clearer path to the NHL crease, “world-class” city, prestigious franchise, plenty of off-ice business opportunities.

I don’t have a clue, really. Guess we will learn when he makes his decision.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Levi signs as soon as his college season is over, can he immediately be assigned to Rochester? Another interesting issue relating to Levi is whether the Sabres would play him in Buffalo, for an introductory stint, if the team is in playoff contention? 

I'm not bothered by the Portillo situation. At this point he would be a fool if he didn't examine the market and make a decision that was in his best interest. The player I am more interested in Michigan is defenseman Johnson. Even if he scans the hockey market it wouldn't be surprising that Buffalo would be a good situation for him as a player i.e. upcoming team with a positional need. 

When Levi signs this spring, expect he'll initially be assigned to the Sabres and will get to play in a game if the Sabres are either out of the playoff race or Comrie & UPL are both sucking raw eggs.  If boh those conditions aren't met (the Sabres are in the race & at least 1 of the goalies in next year's plans are playing well) then he'll get to dress for a game as the backup.

Either will burn the 1st year of his ELC.

If he's actually getting into games, then he'll stay up.  If he's not, they'll let him play in Ra-cha-cha after getting a taste of the NHL experience.

And the Sabres absolutely will let him burn a year of his ELC.  It's what teams do when college players leave school.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

When Levi signs this spring, expect he'll initially be assigned to the Sabres and will get to play in a game if the Sabres are either out of the playoff race or Comrie & UPL are both sucking raw eggs.  If boh those conditions aren't met (the Sabres are in the race & at least 1 of the goalies in next year's plans are playing well) then he'll get to dress for a game as the backup.

Either will burn the 1st year of his ELC.

If he's actually getting into games, then he'll stay up.  If he's not, they'll let him play in Ra-cha-cha after getting a taste of the NHL experience.

And the Sabres absolutely will let him burn a year of his ELC.  It's what teams do when college players leave school.

My central point with my prior posts on this topic is that if the Sabres are in a serious playoff race the GM is going to do what's best for the team. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

My central point with my prior posts on this topic is that if the Sabres are in a serious playoff race the GM is going to do what's best for the team. 

Yes, he is.

And what's best for the team in that case is treating Levi right & letting him get a year burned off his ELC while getting him into the fold.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.