Jeff Marek believes Portillo will test free agency.

Buffalonill

Any player younger than 25 as of September 15 during the year of their first contract must sign an entry-level contract, according to CapFriendly. Every entry-level contract is a two-way deal and the maximum salary for a player that is drafted in 2022 is set at $925,000 annually. 

With that said, entry-level contracts can include signing and performance bonuses, so the total a player makes can exceed $925,000 per year, but there are still limits to that. According to CapFriendly, signing bonuses may not exceed 10% of the contract’s total, and that is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts are paid by the team and count against the salary cap. Those bonuses can't exceed the maximum of $2.85 million.

So there's a Max total value for an ELC. So kinda highest bidder if no one hits that max, or take your pick if multiple teams hit the max.

I guess a CHL player could hold out for the two years after the draft and not sign. At that point, however, I think the player goes back into the draft, right?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

That's not how it works if I remember right. It's still an elc so everyone can offer the same.

Yeah.. I was corrected on that right after I posted.  It's a 2yr once he hits 22 I believe..

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

So there's a Max total value for an ELC. So kinda highest bidder if no one hits that max, or take your pick if multiple teams hit the max.

I guess a CHL player could hold out for the two years after the draft and not sign. At that point, however, I think the player goes back into the draft, right?

Right, and then if drafted again and he goes another two years unsigned, he’s off to UFA land. What’s 2+2? Those same 4 years for the college player. 

But I do absolutely love the ideas upthread where a team holds the draftees rights for eternity. If a guy doesn’t want to play somewhere, he’s just screwed. I think Kim Jong Un would approve. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LTS said:

No.  He's technically on the same route as Portillo right now.  He just has to wait another year, if he wants, and he can choose to go to the highest bidder as well.

Thanks for the answer. Seems unfair to draft a player and then he can somehow leave anyway. 

On 1/12/2023 at 9:07 PM, Taro T said:

Yep.  2 years if signed at 22 or 23.

And 1 year can be burned off this spring IF he signs & dresses.

(Same situation for Johnson.)

Taro question regarding Ryan Johnson. He doesn’t turn 22 until July 24th, so would He need to sign a 3 year ELC this spring?

If that is the case, burning a year this spring would leave two years remaining on His ELC. 

Since He can sign a two year ELC with any team after August 15th when He is 22, doesn’t that limit the benefit of signing with the Sabres? 

Unless the Sabres promise Him Top 4 Minutes in April? 

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Taro question regarding Ryan Johnson. He doesn’t turn 22 until July 24th, so would He need to sign a 3 year ELC this spring?

If that is the case, burning a year this spring would leave two years remaining on His ELC. 

Since He can sign a two year ELC with any team after August 15th when He is 22, doesn’t that limit the benefit of signing with the Sabres? 

Unless the Sabres promise Him Top 4 Minutes in April? 

Age for signing ELCs is based off how old the player is on September 15, so Johnson is 22 this year according to the CBA.

(For the draft, players need to be 18 or 19 respectively by September 15 to count as 18 or 19.  20, 21, & 22 year olds can turn that age anytime that calendar year.)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well he has a right to do this, the league is desperate for goalies.   At least 10 teams will be looking to try to upgrade.  

Or, maybe he'd like to follow Mann once again & spend some time in Europe.

Stinks that the Sabres will likely lose him for nothing, but it probably isn't a significant loss.

Did anyone else catch Adams on GR yesterday?

He didn’t come right out and say Portillo wasn’t signing, but he might has well have.

I mean it’s no surprise, but it was the most  transparent that I’ve ever heard him on that subject. Said they believe he’s a legitimate NHL prospect and pretty much acknowledged he’s had trade discussions with other teams.

On the flip side, it’s also pretty clear he expects to sign Levi as soon as his college season is done.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:25 PM, Mango said:

I don't get why a goalie wouldn't want to come here right now. We are one of the highest scoring teams in the league. Minus an 8 game (major) blip, this team has been a quality NHL team since the last quarter of this past season. The only piece has been goal tending. 

The talk around Buffalo would be totally different if Ullmark was here right now. Different systems, I know. Consistent and quality goal tending change this team entirely. 

Maybe because they are struggling defensively or he wants to possibly go to a team that is better 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Did anyone else catch Adams on GR yesterday?

He didn’t come right out and say Portillo wasn’t signing, but he might has well have.

I mean it’s no surprise, but it was the most  transparent that I’ve ever heard him on that subject. Said they believe he’s a legitimate NHL prospect and pretty much acknowledged he’s had trade discussions with other teams.

On the flip side, it’s also pretty clear he expects to sign Levi as soon as his college season is done.

If Levi signs as soon as his college season is over, can he immediately be assigned to Rochester? Another interesting issue relating to Levi is whether the Sabres would play him in Buffalo, for an introductory stint, if the team is in playoff contention? 

I'm not bothered by the Portillo situation. At this point he would be a fool if he didn't examine the market and make a decision that was in his best interest. The player I am more interested in Michigan is defenseman Johnson. Even if he scans the hockey market it wouldn't be surprising that Buffalo would be a good situation for him as a player i.e. upcoming team with a positional need. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Levi signs as soon as his college season is over, can he immediately be assigned to Rochester?

Yes, but Adams might have to find a way to keep him in Buffalo for a little while to burn an ELC year as a pot-sweetener.  

Just now, Eleven said:

Yes, but Adams might have to find a way to keep him in Buffalo for a little while to burn an ELC year as a pot-sweetener.  

That's not necessarily the case. The GM is going to first and foremost act in the organization's best interest. If the Sabres are in a serious playoff race and the GM determines that he doesn't want to risk playing him here this season, he won't. It would still be in the player's interest to turn pro sooner rather than later, even if he starts off in the AHL. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That's not necessarily the case. The GM is going to first and foremost act in the organization's best interest. If the Sabres are in a serious playoff race and the GM determines that he doesn't want to risk playing him here this season, he won't. It would still be in the player's interest to turn pro sooner rather than later, even if he starts off in the AHL. 

Yeah, that's why my fourth word was "might."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.