Roster Gymnastics!

Captain Caveman

I see on Daily Faceoff that UPL is expected to start tonight (per Howard Simon / WGR.) I was listening this morning, and heard that he could start tonight, although it sounded less certain from what I heard.

Anyway - I thought it may be helpful just to have a thread to keep track of call ups / send downs over the next month or two while we try to manage 3 goalies (for now) and a ton of games in a condensed period.  So, use this to post who's up, who's. down, etc... (and I'm sure people will chime in with what they think should or should not be done as well.)

Edited by Captain Caveman

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The play of Quinn and JJP has made it easy. They can just go back and forth sending them back to Rochester on paper only. 
The question really is why? Not sure why they don’t just send Casey Fitzgerald down. 

Agree.  I think they do that once Joker is back but why wait?    Casey  needs to play and he looks to be firmly behind Bryson and Clague.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

The play of Quinn and JJP has made it easy. They can just go back and forth sending them back to Rochester on paper only. 
The question really is why? Not sure why they don’t just send Casey Fitzgerald down. 

If they need to make 23 man roster space I think they send Anderson to IR for a mysterious LBI during the Flyer debacle.

Once Joker is back I think they will send Casey to Rochester.  I think they are afraid some D starved team will make a claim.  That said, I might send Bryson down instead.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  I think they do that once Joker is back but why wait?    Casey  needs to play and he looks to be firmly behind Bryson and Clague.  

Fitz is firmly behind them and dropping fast. He just doesn't add much to the team sadly and we really need to work on upgrading the guys in front of him so he truly is not needed. 

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Posted in the Fitzgerald thread, Jokiharju is no longer on IR per the Sabres website.

As of now, UPL is still an Amerk, per that website.  Did NOT expect that.

I guess we're back at the same spot with the Joki/Fitz 1:1 moves; UPL is in Rochester, the Sabres are at 23 active players, so the Sabres need to drop another player if they want UPL back on the roster. Hinostroza, one of the waiver-exempt kids, or trade someone out for picks.

I don't think they'll put Anderson on fake-IR, and I hope they don't. Those moves are for $(%*@ teams, I want to Sabres to play it straight.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought that someone suggested they send Quinn or Peterka back to Rochester, on paper, for those games that UPL is going to start.  They don't need to clear waivers.  I could go with that solution.  Pick whichever one has been playing less effectively at the time.  Basically, sit/swap one of them for UPL.  Neither one has been terribly productive lately and the Peterka-Cozens-Quinn line has not done much as a line in some time.  That may be preferable to waiving Hinostroza or someone else, putting Anderson on IR, etc.  They could even alternate them so that neither one sits more than 1 game in a row and both get needed development time on the ice.  For games started by Anderson or Comrie, both would be able to play, so each guy may end up only having to sit out 1 in every 3 or 4 games.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I thought that someone suggested they send Quinn or Peterka back to Rochester, on paper, for those games that UPL is going to start.  They don't need to clear waivers.  I could go with that solution.  Pick whichever one has been playing less effectively at the time.  Basically, sit/swap one of them for UPL.  Neither one has been terribly productive lately and the Peterka-Cozens-Quinn line has not done much as a line in some time.  That may be preferable to waiving Hinostroza or someone else, putting Anderson on IR, etc.  They could even alternate them so that neither one sits more than 1 game in a row and both get needed development time on the ice.  For games started by Anderson or Comrie, both would be able to play, so each guy may end up only having to sit out 1 in every 3 or 4 games.

Krebs is also waiver-free, although he's been outplaying the other two recently.

Cozens and Power as well, even though neither are actual options.

You know somebody's going to get sick or hurt.

I agree that someone is likely to get injured, given how many games they have coming up in a short stretch of time.  That will ultimately self-correct the situation.  I didn't realize that Krebs is also eligible, but agree that he's been playing well and should remain in the lineup, and that Cozens and Power are not even to be considered for Rochester (on paper or otherwise), as those two are big-minute regulars in the lineup.

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Any of Quinn, Peterka and UPL who are loaned to Rochester will be paper transactions only. 

As MSW mentioned they will probably rotate Quinn and Peterka on days that UPL plays and both back into the lineup when Comrie and Anderson play 

Interesting.

So, would you put Asplund or Hinostroza on the Kid Line to fill in for the one sitting?  Or does Mittelstadt bounce up to that spot w/ the 13th forward taking Casey's spot?

Edited by Taro T

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Any of Quinn, Peterka and UPL who are loaned to Rochester will be paper transactions only. 

As MSW mentioned they will probably rotate Quinn and Peterka on days that UPL plays and both back into the lineup when Comrie and Anderson play 

So what was the point of sitting both of them? Granato not want to make a Sophie's Choice and play favourites? 

9 hours ago, Quint said:

Nice guys but drags on the lineup: Okposo, Girgs, Mitts, Asplund, Hinostroza, Comrie, Anderson.

Not ready for primetime: JJP, Quinn, Clague, Davies, Bryson, Fitz, UPL.

Bandaid boys: Bushkin, Joki.

Who do you suggest takes the place of the lineup drags?

48 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Who do you suggest takes the place of the lineup drags?

Dunno, but I agree with Punch's old adage...incremental improvements. Look at Jost...that was an unexpected pickup that worked out. Looks to me like he's replaced Asplund/Hinostroza. I feel like I've identified the guys that need to either improve or if they're unable to improve, be replaced. I'm patient with the guys that need to and have the ability and mindset to improve. Example: Thompson. Unfortunately, change needs to start at the top. Our captain is a "has been."

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Dunno, but I agree with Punch's old adage...incremental improvements. Look at Jost...that was an unexpected pickup that worked out. Looks to me like he's replaced Asplund/Hinostroza. I feel like I've identified the guys that need to either improve or if they're unable to improve, be replaced. I'm patient with the guys that need to and have the ability and mindset to improve. Example: Thompson. Unfortunately, change needs to start at the top. Our captain is a "has been."

I agree completely.

While KO is a has been he is still an important part of this team.  For this season and I think maybe one more.  Then he can coach if he wants.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Quint said:

Okposo is not a "has been". That line keeps the puck in the opponents end for long periods of time. If they had better hands that could put the puck in the net they would be a feared line in the NHL. Right now #28 & #21 are teaching Krebs what it takes to stay up with the big club and his play since being on a line with them has improved dramatically. 

Speaking of roster gymnastics, I kind of like KA’s decisions so far.  By “loaning” Quinn to Rochester and by “loaning” UPL to Rochester he is using their exempt status to keep UPL in Buffalo while also giving guys like Asplund and Vinnie some PT and giving JJP and Quinn a rest here and there. 

I suspect for the next 6 weeks, UPL will be getting consistent starts in net and when he plays one of either Quinn or JJP will be “loaned” to open a roster spot for UPL, resting the rookie, and giving Vinnie or Asplund PT to keep them involved and playing.  Very smart and very creative.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.