Peyton Krebs as a 3C

dudacek

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Kulich has played wing exclusively in Rochester as well. 

and....?

TnT was a winger, and Mitts was a center.  Where are they now?  I see Kulich moving back to center next year for the Amerks.  His game screams center to me.  Savoie, I see more as a winger because of his size (or lack there of).  Smallish centers like Hughes and even Sid are still nearly 6'.  

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Guys, I meant 3C as in the 3rd-best centre, who usually gets the 3rd-most ice-time.

Its not a commentary on linemates or situations.

I sometimes forget this board consistently referred to Okposo last season as a 4RW despite the fact he was top 6 in ice time and among the NHL’s top 30 highest scoring RWs.

Yes, the  ZG-PK-KO line is considered the 4th line but there are games were they get many more minutes than a traditional 4th line would.   (Like the Minnesota 4th line filled with bangers)

All I needed was one game to see how Krebs can benefit from playing with the two vets.   Krebs seems to be smart enough to understand his role, scrappy enough to take it on, and skilled enough to add a dangerous dimension to the line.  He has more upside and his ceiling looks to be a steady 3C at some point somewhere in the league.  

His pass to VO for the game winner last night showed VERY good skills.  He knew exactly what to do and he put the pass right in VO’s wheelhouse.  Not a lot of 4th line players do that,  and not a lot of 4th line players even sniff the ice in OT.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I watched Krebs some in junior and a lot in Rochester. His recent style of play is not out of character for him at all. He was always a pass-first low-goals player who played with more pace than virtually anyone else around him.

The winner last night was right in his wheelhouse as far as the type of offence he’s going to be able to supply: exploding into space to create a lane, then laying the puck perfectly into that space for a linemate.

I appreciate your knowledge of this player and his attributes. I was well aware that he was a pass first center but was not sure of his ability to play a grittier game that is required in this higher league. I thought he was mostly a finesse player. I am happy to say that I was wrong.

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

and....?

TnT was a winger, and Mitts was a center.  Where are they now?  I see Kulich moving back to center next year for the Amerks.  His game screams center to me.  Savoie, I see more as a winger because of his size (or lack there of).  Smallish centers like Hughes and even Sid are still nearly 6'.  

I'm confused by this post.  I don't remember anyone or many suggesting TNT get moved to center before Donnie.  He was a wing.  So he's an example of how unconventional thinking can flourish. 

Then you use him as an example for you seeing Kulich as a C - yet Savoie can't because typically C's are 6'.  Which is it? 

Just now, 7+6=13 said:

I'm confused by this post.  I don't remember anyone or many suggesting TNT get moved to center before Donnie.  He was a wing.  So he's an example of how unconventional thinking can flourish. 

Then you use him as an example for you seeing Kulich as a C - yet Savoie can't because typically C's are 6'.  Which is it? 

TNT was a center in college. Stl moved him to wing.  Donnie just moved him back to his natural position.  Mitts was a center in college as well.  Played wing initially with the Sabres and now is back at wing.  Kulich was drafted as a center and I think that’s his natural position. 

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

TNT was a center in college. Stl moved him to wing.  Donnie just moved him back to his natural position.  Mitts was a center in college as well.  Played wing initially with the Sabres and now is back at wing.  Kulich was drafted as a center and I think that’s his natural position. 

Natural positions aren't defined in college though.  

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not sure exactly when the switch happened, but Peyton Krebs has looked good since he got moved in between KO and Z.

Over the past month he’s got 3 goals and 3 assists in 12 games and leads the team with a 58% Corsi and an on-ice ES goal% of 78%! He’s only been on the ice for 2 ES goals against total.

He’s cut the giveaways to 3 over that span and matched that with 3 takeaways.

He’s playing 13 minutes a game, is starting to kill penalties and even leads all forwards with 19 hits.

He’s passing the eye test as well, looking like a real hound on the forecheck and the back check.

He’s still only 21 and just 92 games into his NHL career.

Will Thompson/Cozens/Krebs emerge as a 1-2-3 centre spine of a contender?

They said he has really embraced the move between them and wants to be a good two player and has really worked on his defensive game...and it shows.

That's part of what is so exciting about this team. They are already good but still have near endless room for growth.

9 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yeah I think you are right. I wonder if Krebs would be something other teams would want to acquire.

I don't think Krebs will be traded, at least not anytime soon.  Story is that KA held out and insisted that Krebs be the prospect included in the trade.

I think he is playing very well in his new role.  He should stay there until we see how some others develop.

I don't think any roster player will be traded this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think Krebs will be traded, at least not anytime soon.  Story is that KA held out and insisted that Krebs be the prospect included in the trade.

I think he is playing very well in his new role.  He should stay there until we see how some others develop.

Agree...Krebs brings an enthusiasm factor that is part of the secret sauce of having players who WANT to be here.  I really like the spirit he brings to the team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Only way I see a roster player getting traded is if the Sabres make the playoffs. Even then it probably won’t happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Agree. You do not purposely trade Krebs, you want internal the competition and see if one of the current prospects can take his job.  That is how you get better.   

I can't see Adams making a trade now, maybe at the deadline and even then I suspect he would add help at defense over changes to the forward lines.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Only way I see a roster player getting traded is if the Sabres make the playoffs. Even then it probably won’t happen. 

Have said before, would be surprised if a roster player gets traded this year.  It would need to be a move that really screams the D is going to be upgraded.  (Don't even see a potential trade like that for a goalie with the way UPL is playing & the ceiling both Comrie & Levi have.)

Next off-season possibly, & next trade deadline after that of the following season is when guys that don't fit LT are identified & shopped. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:12 PM, dudacek said:

Not sure exactly when the switch happened, but Peyton Krebs has looked good since he got moved in between KO and Z.

Krebs is more skilled (and angrier) than either player, but KO and Z also made Angry Larry look alright and even made Eakin into a tweener for a season (very limited time because Girgs broke a leg for Eakin's first year). Just think back to what Eakin looked like when he was between Bjork and Hayden.

Of note: this is why I believe KO and Z both get extensions. They can take the next kid under their wing as well if need be. Savoie, stay with Krebs, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the shooting will come naturally as he develops but yeah they all need to go to remedial camp for faceoffs.

Maybe Eakin can hold a faceoff camp for the boys.

I know the importance of faceoffs has been debated but there is a need to have some improvement there. A clean win on PP or PK means possession, which means plays can be made. A centre ice or neutral zone faceoff is not as important but lead to possession as well. There are links of a chain that can happen from possession of the puck.

Maybe there are analytics showing how unimportant they are because of the ebb and flow of turnovers after the draw, but there is no denying the eye test of losing a key draw that leads to a goal or the opposition clearing their zone.

My view may be simple but trotting out a guy averaging around 40% vs someone in the mid 50% range is a disadvantage.

They will get better with experience, knowing the other C’s, linesman tendencies, strength and technique. One of our young guys could carve out a nice niche by becoming the go to guy.

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

He was always a pass-first low-goals player who played with more pace than virtually anyone else around him.

I think this is really what I've noticed out of Krebs these last few weeks. His motor is unrelenting. I think this has combined nicely with the checking/offensive zone possession capabilities of Okposo and Girgensons. I don't know what caused him to turn it up like that but I'm eager to see more. 

Even if Krebs ends up just being a bottom six 30-40 point player I consider that a positive in looking at the return for Eichel. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Of note: this is why I believe KO and Z both get extensions. They can take the next kid under their wing as well if need be. Savoie, stay with Krebs, etc.

Definitely. Zemgus will probably get another two years. Okposo will probably get one year deals until he retires. 

47 minutes ago, NAF said:

Definitely. Zemgus will probably get another two years. Okposo will probably get one year deals until he retires. 

If I had to put odds on those two guys, I think I'd put the odds of Z returning at 90% and probably on a two year deal.  KO less, maybe 60%, and could depend on how much he wants and for how long. I agree KO's deal will be annual.

Next season we will still have cap space to keep both easily, but after next season, Power, Dahlin, Mitts, Joki, Krebs, and UPL will all need new deals.  We could be getting to the cap quicker than expected if these guy continue to blossom.  Also prospects like Savoie, Kulich, Cedarqvist, Rousek and others are going to be pusking from below.

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Okay, so who moves off the current roster to make room for "the next kid"?

I know everyone wants it to be Mitts or VO, but the goal is to bring back someone on the roster for them if either is part of an offseason move. GM Sheevyn is playing the patient game this year and into next, so the answer is Hinostroza. My guess is Savoie gets 9 games and if he's still too undersized, then it's back to juniors (weird in a D+2, but this is going to be a very fast lineup next season and it'll be tough for a rookie to crack). I've got Rousek as the 13 next year. Asplund is the sleeper -- you can clear him to bring in Savoie and clear Hino for Rousek.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:47 PM, JohnC said:

I appreciate your knowledge of this player and his attributes. I was well aware that he was a pass first center but was not sure of his ability to play a grittier game that is required in this higher league. I thought he was mostly a finesse player. I am happy to say that I was wrong.

His original scouting reports always mentioned his “difficult to play against” attributes. Maybe not in terms of gritty but definitely relentless which makes him ideal for the role he is playing now if he embraces it and continues to add strength.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.