Peyton Krebs as a 3C

dudacek

Not sure exactly when the switch happened, but Peyton Krebs has looked good since he got moved in between KO and Z.

Over the past month he’s got 3 goals and 3 assists in 12 games and leads the team with a 58% Corsi and an on-ice ES goal% of 78%! He’s only been on the ice for 2 ES goals against total.

He’s cut the giveaways to 3 over that span and matched that with 3 takeaways.

He’s playing 13 minutes a game, is starting to kill penalties and even leads all forwards with 19 hits.

He’s passing the eye test as well, looking like a real hound on the forecheck and the back check.

He’s still only 21 and just 92 games into his NHL career.

Will Thompson/Cozens/Krebs emerge as a 1-2-3 centre spine of a contender?

• Like (+1) 5

Moving Casey to W seems to be helping him but I wouldn't write him off with respect to playing C in the future.

I can see where Krebs could move up to a scoring line, but the Sabres will continue to need a quality 4C and I have no problem with it being Krebs.

I think it will depend on the roles players coming out of Rochester are given as they move up.  Will they want the "next center" to play 4C to acclimate to the defensive responsibilities of the NHL?  Or will they want to continue with a tried-and-true shutdown line that perhaps has a bit of offensive pop?

Alternately, are both Gus and Okie coming back next season?  If not, will they introduce new wingers to the league on the fourth line, and want the continuity of Krebs to "show them how it's done"?

Obviously you put your best forwards on your top 2 lines.  But how to put together a third and a fourth line with the current roster and the upcoming talent that will force their way into the lineup may require more finesse, as it were, from Donny.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure exactly when the switch happened, but Peyton Krebs has looked good since he got moved in between KO and Z.

Over the past month he’s got 3 goals and 3 assists in 12 games and leads the team with a 58% Corsi and an on-ice ES goal% of 78%! He’s only been on the ice for 2 ES goals against total.

He’s playing 13 minutes a game, is starting to kill penalties and even leads all forwards with 19 hits.

He’s passing the eye test as well, looking like a real hound on the forecheck and the back check.

Hasn't he been there since he got back in the lineup, or were there 1-2 games played before Jost became the 3rd line C?  Some of these milestone points are blending together.  (It's late.  Working on little sleep & have to get up early again tomorrow.)

Don't know if Krebs will become the 3C or if Savoie/Kulich/ other will be there & the Sabres will have 4 lines that can all score.  We really seem to be on  the verge of having a F lineup from top to bottom that we haven't seen since the mid-70's.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Moving Casey to W seems to be helping him but I wouldn't write him off with respect to playing C in the future.

I can see where Krebs could move up to a scoring line, but the Sabres will continue to need a quality 4C and I have no problem with it being Krebs.

I think it will depend on the roles players coming out of Rochester are given as they move up.  Will they want the "next center" to play 4C to acclimate to the defensive responsibilities of the NHL?  Or will they want to continue with a tried-and-true shutdown line that perhaps has a bit of offensive pop?

Alternately, are both Gus and Okie coming back next season?  If not, will they introduce new wingers to the league on the fourth line, and want the continuity of Krebs to "show them how it's done"?

Obviously you put your best forwards on your top 2 lines.  But how to put together a third and a fourth line with the current roster and the upcoming talent that will force their way into the lineup may require more finesse, as it were, from Donny.

One thing to remember w/ Mittelstadt is heading into the season both he & Granato were talking about him very likely moving to wing.  That did not happen.  Not sure if it was because Krebs wasn't ready for 3C, Sheahan not being able to take the 4C role, or Asplund not stepping up there either.  But he didn't expect to be a C, much less the 2C when the season began.

Preparing for 1 role & then being given a different one MIGHT have been a small part of his issues.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don’t count out Jost.  DG is working his magic on the former 10th overall pick.   That said, Kulich is the long-term 3C imho.

My guess is that Jost is seen more as the checking C longish term rather than key cog in the offense.

There's a reason Krebs is no longer the C sitting when the bench is shortened to 3 lines.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One thing to remember w/ Mittelstadt is heading into the season both he & Granato were talking about him very likely moving to wing.  That did not happen.  Not sure if it was because Krebs wasn't ready for 3C, Sheahan not being able to take the 4C role, or Asplund not stepping up there either.  But he didn't expect to be a C, much less the 2C when the season began.

Preparing for 1 role & then being given a different one MIGHT have been a small part of his issues.

Canadian Agree GIF by CBC

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My guess is that Jost is seen more as the checking C longish term rather than key cog in the offense.

There's a reason Krebs is no longer the C sitting when the bench is shortened to 3 lines.

Maybe, but if his chemistry with Mitts and VO continues to grow, it’s going to hard not to keep him in the conversation for the job.  Still, by 2024-25, Kulich is going to have earned that 3C job. 

Krebs needs to stay where he is at for the rest of the season. If he scores 20 goals then he can be a 20 goal scoring fourth liner. Only way I’m good with moving him up the lineup is if we get knocked out of playoff contention and it’s a “try it on for size” situation in March. 

Next year I expect he and Jost to switch lines.

Guys, I meant 3C as in the 3rd-best centre, who usually gets the 3rd-most ice-time.

Its not a commentary on linemates or situations.

I sometimes forget this board consistently referred to Okposo last season as a 4RW despite the fact he was top 6 in ice time and among the NHL’s top 30 highest scoring RWs.

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Guys, I meant 3C as in the 3rd-best centre, who usually gets the 3rd-most ice-time.

Its not a commentary on linemates or situations.

I sometimes forget this board consistently referred to Okposo last season as a 4RW despite the fact he was top 6 in ice time and among the NHL’s top 30 highest scoring RWs.

Same answer. Kulich will be our 3rd best center within the next few years.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Czechia used Kulich as a winger in the World Juniors.

It will depend on how he is groomed in Rochester and how he develops.

I see him as a winger, sifting through traffic to get open and firing lasers.

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

I still see Krebs’ comparable as Doug Gilmour. A smallish, gritty, determined C who will outwork you and compete to the end of the game.

Not the 127 point Gilmour but the two way heart and soul playmaker.

I think Krebs can be the 3C. 4C is ok as well if Savoie, Kulich or Östlund end up having the talent to be above him in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Krebs to VO and boom! 

Krebs passes and Victor shoots. 

They almost seem like a natural combination 

We aren't going to be able to pay EVERYONE once this team fully arrives.

Some of these guys are going to go, once we figure out who the critical core is.

A guy like Krebs might be on the inside of that, or the outside.  Too soon to tell.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don’t count out Jost.  DG is working his magic on the former 10th overall pick.   That said, Kulich is the long-term 3C imho.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Czechia used Kulich as a winger in the World Juniors.

It will depend on how he is groomed in Rochester and how he develops.

I see him as a winger, sifting through traffic to get open and firing lasers.

Kulich has played wing exclusively in Rochester as well. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

We aren't going to be able to pay EVERYONE once this team fully arrives.

Some of these guys are going to go, once we figure out who the critical core is.

A guy like Krebs might be on the inside of that, or the outside.  Too soon to tell.

We are forward heavy. There obvioulsy will be trades to add defenceman. The better we get people in places to succeed the better as it increases the trade value of the forward we have to part with 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

The biggest surprise to me is your observation that he has become so dogged on the forecheck and the back check. A brilliant coaching move recognizing that the influence of Okposo/Girgs play would influence his play so much. I would also submit that the coach sitting down Krebs for a number of games got his undivided attention that he needed to alter his game to play in this league. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What about Savoie? Thompson will be 1C for the foreseeable future and I'd wager money Cozens will be locked up long term this season. Maybe we just end up with a 1A-B-C-D situation and roll four top scoring lines and net 6-9 goals every game. I could live with that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Krebs needs to stay where he is at for the rest of the season. If he scores 20 goals then he can be a 20 goal scoring fourth liner. Only way I’m good with moving him up the lineup is if we get knocked out of playoff contention and it’s a “try it on for size” situation in March. 

Next year I expect he and Jost to switch lines.

My problem with Krebs is that if he does score 20 goals, that is great, but he seems a long way from doing that.  He is playing better than earlier in the year, that is true....but earlier in the year he might have been the worset forward in the NHL...no offensive production, getting back late, whiffing at guys who eventually scored goals against and being a turnover/battle losing machine on the boards.  He has progressed in the past 10 games or so...yes he has, but he still has only 3 goals in 31 games this year.

He is young. There is no way I want to move him or give up on him...but in the past month or so, he has taken a couple of steps on a journey to being a good NHL player that requires a mile.  He may do it. I hope he does it, but I need to see a lot more myself.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

What about Savoie? Thompson will be 1C for the foreseeable future and I'd wager money Cozens will be locked up long term this season. Maybe we just end up with a 1A-B-C-D situation and roll four top scoring lines and net 6-9 goals every game. I could live with that.

I think DG would love 4 scoring lines. Any GM/coach would love 4 scoring lines. Paying all the players is an issue, you need a constant flow of skilled guys on ELCs.

The talent could be spread out to make the 4th line potent enough to scare other teams. Krebs and Jost seem like capable 3/4 Cs. They are both 1st round picks so their offensive skill is there. Savoie, Kulich, Östlund and Kozak have time to stew.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The biggest surprise to me is your observation that he has become so dogged on the forecheck and the back check. A brilliant coaching move recognizing that the influence of Okposo/Girgs play would influence his play so much. I would also submit that the coach sitting down Krebs for a number of games got his undivided attention that he needed to alter his game to play in this league. 

7 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

His giveaways are way down got to give him that. But at the expense of any of the offense he was touted to have. 

I watched Krebs some in junior and a lot in Rochester. His recent style of play is not out of character for him at all. He was always a pass-first low-goals player who played with more pace than virtually anyone else around him.

The winner last night was right in his wheelhouse as far as the type of offence he’s going to be able to supply: exploding into space to create a lane, then laying the puck perfectly into that lane for a linemate.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

I’m a little surprised how quickly the light dimmed for Peyton around here as a prospect, especially given his work ethic and this organization’s recent success developing players.

His numbers as a prospect were very much in line with Kulich and Savoie and he’s put up 31 points in 79 Sabres games as a 21-year-old rookie.

He’s going to get better and we’re watching it happen.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.