GDT: Wild @ Sabres, 1/7/2023, 7pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It wasn't that long go when the Sabres got down there was an almost visible deflation. In hockey, as there is in most pro sports, there is an ebb and flow. But even when the tide is turning against them, this team keeps playing its fast paced and north/south game. The talent on this team has clearly increased. But what is evident is that this is a character team with multiple leaders that keep this team together when it is facing adversity. 

Donnie started out his tenure talking about how talented these kids were and how much they cared about each other when there wasn’t a lot of evidence to support it. We found out he was right.

Donnie talked about how he wasn’t going to teach these guys how to play safe, he was going to teach these guys offence. We are now the most explosive team in hockey.

Donnie has more recently been talking a lot about not focusing on what could or has gone wrong and fighting to not lose, but focusing on what you can do right in order to help the team win. Three blown leads tied up late and won in overtime, against 3 of the hottest teams in the NHL.

The guy walks the talk more than any coach I can remember.

This team is reflection of its leader.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Sabres are now 5-0 when wearing the black and red thirds, scoring exactly six goals in each game. The individual player stats in the five games so far are bonkers (goals, assists):

Fowards:

Asplund 0 2

Cozens 2 8

Girgs 0 2

Hino 0 1

Jost 0 3

Krebs 1 2

Mitts 2 4

Okposo 3 0

Olofsson 4 2

JJ 2 3

Quinn 4 1

Skinner 4 1

Thompson 4 2

Tuch 2 4

Defense:

Dahlin 2 6

Joker 0 1

Power 0 4

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Sabres are now 5-0 when wearing the black and red thirds, scoring exactly six goals in each game. The individual player stats in the five games so far are bonkers (goals, assists):

Fowards:

Asplund 0 2

Cozens 2 8

Girgs 0 2

Hino 0 1

Jost 0 3

Krebs 1 2

Mitts 2 4

Okposo 3 0

Olofsson 4 2

JJ 2 3

Quinn 4 1

Skinner 4 1

Thompson 4 2

Tuch 2 4

Defense:

Dahlin 2 6

Joker 0 1

Power 0 4

Well hell. Goat head as the permanent uniform it is.

J/K

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm  still going  to harp on goaltending.  Generally speaking your not going to win many games when you're opponent scores 4-5 goals on you. UPL has been making good saves and timely ones but the fact is at the end of the game our opponent's have routinely been scoring 4 or more goals on us. I know the lower half of our defense is weak but we wouldn't be "losing leads" with a true number one net minder IMHO. MAF wasn't happy with his game and neither should UPL.Thankfully our offense is high octane. It is fun to watch. But if our offense cools down we'll be in for another loosing streak.

Edited by sabresouth

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d had to watch the condensed game as I went to a wedding tonight.  

Some quick thoughts

1) Dahlin offensive skills are off the chart. 
2) Power is looking like he is about to takeoff.  He seems more confident each shift.

3) Mitts has turned a corner since replacing Skinner on the top line during the suspension.  He looks more assertive and more confident.  He was completely locked in tonight. DG moving him to wing has allowed him to stop over thinking each play and just be natural out there. Jost has fit this team like a glove and has helped Mitts play looser.  With the kids going cold, we needed VO and Mitts to step up and they have.  Now if we can get all 3 top limes going.

4) Skinner has been awful since the suspension.  He seems to be in a funk. 
5) Our in zone D play needs work.  Mule seems off as well.  How many stupid penalties can one D take Mr Lyubushkin?

6) Not UPL’s best effort, but he made some terrific saves.  

Overall a very solid and exciting win. I agree with earlier posts that this is a team that no one wants to play.  Speed, high skill, scoring depth, youthful exuberance, and a playing for each other attitude is a recipe for success now and in the playoffs if they make it.  

Not sure why your hate for Skinner? Overall, that line was good tonight not great while the other lines (especially Mitts) made up for it. Only player I though was subpar was Samuellson - he had an off night and Bryson subbed in with Dahlin for him a lot in the 3rd. UPL was even great, despite giving up 5, overall D was suspect and Minnesota could have scored 10

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

I'm  still going  to harp on goaltending.  Generally speaking your not going to win many games when you're opponent scores 4-5 goals on you. UPL has been making good saves and timely ones but the fact is at the end of the game our opponent's have routinely been scoring 4 or more goals on us. I know the lower half of our defense is weak but we wouldn't be "losing leads" with a true number one net minder IMHO. MAF wasn't happy with his game and neither should UPL.Thankfully our offense is high octane. It is fun to watch. But if our offense cools down we'll be in for another loosing streak.

UPL wasn’t the issue last night, and I’d be the first one to harp on it if he was. You switch MAF for UPL last night and Minnesota wins 10-3. A couple of fleury goals by Minn and D zone breakdowns. Can’t say he should have saved any of the 5 against + he had 6 saves in OT including a couple great ones

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

This is the greatest hype video I’ve ever seen

It’s a great video.  It really is.  But this one still gives me goosebumps.  It’s my fav.  The “Better Days” are back for the Buffalo Sabres.  

Edited by GoPre
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Donnie started out his tenure talking about how talented these kids were and how much they cared about each other when there wasn’t a lot of evidence to support it. We found out he was right.

Donnie talked about how he wasn’t going to teach these guys how to play safe, he was going to teach these guys offence. We are now the most explosive team in hockey.

Donnie has more recently been talking a lot about not focusing on what could or has gone wrong and fighting to not lose, but focusing on what you can do right in order to help the team win. Three blown leads tied up late and won in overtime, against 3 of the hottest teams in the NHL.

I don't know if you have listened to DG in his Tuesday coach's segment on WGR. They are gems. They are illuminating about him as a person and coach. His responses are usually short, clear and thoughtful. He doesn't dance around difficult questions; he directly answers them. Very often, when asked a question, he will mull it over, and then respond that is an interesting question. On more than a few occasions he will state that he didn't look at that particular issue from that perspective.  The point that I'm making here is that he is open-minded and receptive to different perspectives. He constantly talks about the learning process for players, and he is also involved in the learning process for himself as a coach. He's terrific. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d had to watch the condensed game as I went to a wedding tonight.  

Some quick thoughts

1) Dahlin offensive skills are off the chart. 
2) Power is looking like he is about to takeoff.  He seems more confident each shift.

3) Mitts has turned a corner since replacing Skinner on the top line during the suspension.  He looks more assertive and more confident.  He was completely locked in tonight. DG moving him to wing has allowed him to stop over thinking each play and just be natural out there. Jost has fit this team like a glove and has helped Mitts play looser.  With the kids going cold, we needed VO and Mitts to step up and they have.  Now if we can get all 3 top limes going.

4) Skinner has been awful since the suspension.  He seems to be in a funk. 
5) Our in zone D play needs work.  Mule seems off as well.  How many stupid penalties can one D take Mr Lyubushkin?

6) Not UPL’s best effort, but he made some terrific saves.  

Overall a very solid and exciting win. I agree with earlier posts that this is a team that no one wants to play.  Speed, high skill, scoring depth, youthful exuberance, and a playing for each other attitude is a recipe for success now and in the playoffs if they make it.  

Sometimes when you watch a condensed version of a game you don't get an accurate picture of the flow of the game. 

I agree with most of your commentary except for Skinner. I don't see the drop-off that you are seeing. Even though he's not scoring many goals since his suspension, he's consistently putting himself in position to get scoring chances. And what I have noticed is that assist numbers have increased. His line is still our most prolific line. And he is an important factor why it is one of the top first lines in the league. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Not sure why your hate for Skinner? Overall, that line was good tonight not great while the other lines (especially Mitts) made up for it. Only player I though was subpar was Samuellson - he had an off night and Bryson subbed in with Dahlin for him a lot in the 3rd. UPL was even great, despite giving up 5, overall D was suspect and Minnesota could have scored 10

I think if you look closely you'll see that Dahlin was subbing in for everyone else besides Power in the later part of the third.

• Like (+1) 1

Man.. games like that.. a great one to be at.  It ranks with some of the best games I've attended. 

Not much to say about it other than this team now knows what the fans will do when they play like they are playing. The other players now know what the arena will be like when the Sabres are rocking... and they know that Buffalo is about to be the place to be for great hockey... if it's not already.

Back to exciting times...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoPre said:

It’s a great video.  It really is.  But this one still gives me goosebumps.  It’s my fav.  The “Better Days” are back for the Buffalo Sabres.  

I never liked the “Better Days” video. I mean it’s fine. But it’s meh. The more time goes on the more I find the Goo Goo Dolls annoying. Might just be Johnny Rzeznik. Could be that spent a ton of money on the anniversary show at Shea’s and it was garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Very true.  I just hope his formula will work in a playoff series were opponents get all to familiar with each other and structure, securing a lead , and playing safe to hold a lead isn’t a bad thing.  

Right now whatever concerns I’ve had about Granato have faded.  He is doing a fabulous job.  Literally everyone on the roster is contributing and improving.   Last night everyone contributed.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Didn't get a chance to watch the game live but saw the updates and just watched the highlights...man that building was rocking. Looked like a super fun game to be a part of...I think both goalies will be wishing they had a few of those goals back last night...overall great effort to come back to tie and win in OT, but my lord, what is with them allowing goals in the first 2 minutes of the 3rd with 2+ goal leads?? Has happened a lot recently...

Edited by matter2003

29 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Very true.  I just hope his formula will work in a playoff series were opponents get all to familiar with each other and structure, securing a lead , and playing safe to hold a lead isn’t a bad thing.  

Right now whatever concerns I’ve had about Granato have faded.  He is doing a fabulous job.  Literally everyone on the roster is contributing and improving.   Last night everyone contributed.  

I just wish they wouldn't make it so hard on themselves to put games away. I just think eventually that tends to wear you down mentally and emotionally. But they are young and have a lot of jam so maybe they are more capable of weathering it than an older team of vets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.