Carrying 3 goalies - Should they keep 3, send UPL down or move someone else?

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why does UPL deserve it? He's not any better than the other two. 

He deserves it because...

The team seems to respond to him in net

The home crowd is beginning to enjoy the Luuuuu chant

He needs the ice time so they can develop some of his weaknesses, here in the NHL, where it matters. Not the A.

Although his gaa and save % are sub par....He's made the big saves at the right moments in several games to keep the Sabres alive. 

Andy was brought in to mentor. His time as a starter has passed. He's fine in spot starts but shouldn't be counted on unless they want him injured again.  

Comrie needs starts too but not as the #1 right now. Unless he gets hot and UPL goes cold, then they should adjust accordingly. 

That's the way I see it so thats the way it should be imo.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly I’d trade Anderson to a Cup contender to give him a shot at winning a Cup.  I’d then split the net between Comrie and UPL as they are the default duo for next season.  

I think trading Andy today is not going to help this season.  If he has any value in a trade wait until we are no longer contending for the 8th spot.  

If Comrie all of a sudden shows us he could be a 1B, rather than a 2, that would help.  

I don't really post here that much, so forgive me if I'm re-treading some stuff from the first several pages of this thread.

With Anderson getting the start last night, it has me wondering when will Comrie start again? He's had 1 start since coming back from injury, and that was due to UPL being sick. I was assuming they'd put him into one of these back-to-back games, though Anderson saved our ass in the 1st period and has the best stats of the 3 goalies, so he seems like the best option at backup.

I do agree with the Sabres that if they are winning in front of UPL, to keep playing him. However Comrie has barely had any playtime this season. He had a hot start, then cooled way off and then got hurt and basically hasn't been back since.

Both Comrie and UPL have 1 year left on their contracts, and in theory Levi (and maybe Portillo but it sounds like that will be unlikely) in the minors next year. I'd love to bring Anderson back as like a goalie coach or something if he's willing, but we can't expect him to play again next year, can we?

Either way I feel like we need to figure out what we have in Comrie, but I also don't want to jeopardize our chances of finally breaking the playoff drought. So I'd probably stick to UPL/Anderson until there is an apparent need to shake things up.

Comrie had to expect to be the starter here and it's not as if his play was that much worse than UPL. It's not this is some Brady/Bledsoe situation here.

So will we see Comrie again anytime soon? Last week had another back to back and both weeks we have 3 games in 4 nights (and 4 games in 6 nights), so maybe Comrie will play on Thursday? I find it a bit strange Anderson played last night instead of tonight.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

2 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Ah yeah, I was looking at last week and this week. Not this week and next week. It'd make sense they'd have him start against his old team.

Yep.  Granato is pretty good about giving guys opportunities in games they're personally vested in.  And considering UPLs illness messed up the rotation for the last Jets game am expecting he gets that start.

But if he doesn't get it and they go UPL like Biron suggested last night right to the AS break then we might not see Comrie start again until March.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don’t need to see Comrie again at this point. Anderson has to played well in the back up role and UPL has hit a stride. 

I get keeping 3, and he’ll have to get games to stay loose, but I would call the experiment over for this season. 

So I'm torn.

On one hand I want the team to break the post season drought and let our kids get some playoff experience. On the other hand we're still rebuilding and I feel Comrie is an unknown quantity at this point.

But given where we are in the standings, we have a very tight margin for even making the playoffs as it is. Can we afford to risk a few games on Comrie?

Then again, even if we do make the playoffs, it's not very realistic that we'll win it all this year. I'd expect to lose in the first round, although anything is possible if the team/goalie is hot. 

So if you're KA/Granato do you still want to see what you have in Comrie ahead of next season when (I have to assume) Anderson will be gone/retired? Or do you worry about next season later and just go with your best chance to get your young team some playoff experience now?

I think I'm for making the push now. It not only shows you have confidence in your young talent, but will help bond them for future seasons.

But it could result in a setback next year if they go with UPL/Comrie next year and Comrie is a total bust. Also I doubt he's happy about being 3rd on the depth chart. This was supposed to be his chance to be an NHL starter and now he's not even a backup anymore...

My guess is there are "Anderson" games probably every 6-7 games that are kinda planned out for the rest of the season barring a trade. He might request one if the Sabres chances for the post-season get more tenuous, I suppose, I'm not sure the Sabres would just up and trade him without discussion.

UPL has taken the #1 spot with his play for now. I have to think the Sabres will treat the non-Anderson games with a normal rotation between UPL and Comrie. So out of every 10 games, Anderson gets 1-2, Comrie gets 1-2, and UPL gets 7 or so. If Comrie is solid or UPL falters, I'd guess Comrie gets more starts.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't expect Anderson to request a trade. I think the only reason he's playing hockey this year is because he wants to help these kids develop. I remember reading a quote from him  wishing he was "10 5 years younger".

I feel like If he really wanted to win a cup this year, he probably could have signed as a backup somewhere else.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So is Comrie already an after thought?

I think he just gets spot duty unless the other 2 falter or get hurt. He needs to be a good teammate, be ready to take the net if he gets the chance.

They are winning so DG won’t upset the apple cart. Being a goalie is tough enough mentally, being #3 is even more of a challenge.

He is signed for next year, so it may take that long to see what he’s really got.

I still think he can be serviceable.
I hope UPL keeps getting better and that Levi challenges him in a couple of years.

If I'm Comrie I'm ***** pissed.  He's been nothing but a good soldier, accepting a "conditioning" assignment to Roch due to KA's roster gymnastics.    Now he's back (presumably 100% healthy) and isn't playing.     He was brought in to compete for the starting spot, secondarily as a bridge between Anderson and UPL/Levi... however, through no fault of his own, that bridge has crumbled.

His GAA/Sv% are nearly identical to UPL, he just hasn't had the same run support.    That's not on him.

He deserves a couple starts here.

• Like (+1) 2

Still don’t know why they have to “see what they have” in Comrie. Why? They already know he’s coming back next year.

Also it’s disengenuous to say Comrie “deserves” a couple starts. Every goalie accepts you keep the crease by winning.

After a shakey start, UPL is on an 11 and 3 run. After a good start, Comrie has lost 5 in a row, and allowed at least 4 goals in every game he finished.

Anderson has the best numbers of the 3 and isn’t young enough to play more than once a week.

The Sabres are winning at nearly a 70% clip since Comrie got hurt.

Why is everyone trying to fix something that isn’t broken?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Still don’t know why they have to “see what they have” in Comrie. Why? They already know he’s coming back next year.

Also it’s disengenuous to say Comrie “deserves” a couple starts. Every goalie accepts you keep the crease by winning.

After a shakey start, UPL is on an 11 and 3 run. After a good start, Comrie has lost 5 in a row, and allowed at least 4 goals in every game he finished.

Anderson has the best numbers of the 3 and isn’t young enough to play more than once a week.

The Sabres are winning at nearly a 70% clip since Comrie got hurt.

Why is everyone trying to fix something that isn’t broken?

To the extent that you're addressing me (which I don't think is all of your post):

They don't have to keep him next year.  They can trade him.  Whether he's a capable backup, or even starter, is what they need to learn.  The sample size isn't big enough right now.

I'm not on the "deserves" thing so I'll move by that.

Anderson isn't young enough to play more than once a week, correct.  So the Sabres need to figure out a plan for if/when UPL goes down.  Is that Comrie?  Is he good enough?  Things they need to learn.

Something that isn't broken?  The Sabres' goaltending situation is better with UPL, but it is far from ideal, and very far from franchise standards.  The team identity is goaltending.  Some teams' identities are bullying (Boston, Filly); some are finesse (Montreal, Edmonton); and this franchise's identity is goaltending.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Something that isn't broken?  The Sabres' goaltending situation is better with UPL, but it is far from ideal, and very far from franchise standards.  The team identity is goaltending.  Some teams' identities are bullying (Boston, Filly); some are finesse (Montreal, Edmonton); and this franchise's identity is goaltending.

It was in the past but those who refuse to adapt to changes are often buried by them. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It was in the past but those who refuse to adapt to changes are often buried by them. 

The better way to phrase this:  "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."  Emerson.  Keep in mind that we have literati posting here, FFS.

Still, that's this team, from Crozier/Desjardins through Miller.  Goaltending.

Anyway, the team needs to see Comrie more than it needs to see Anderson.

Edited by Eleven
  • Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If I'm Comrie I'm ***** pissed.  He's been nothing but a good soldier, accepting a "conditioning" assignment to Roch due to KA's roster gymnastics.    Now he's back (presumably 100% healthy) and isn't playing.     He was brought in to compete for the starting spot, secondarily as a bridge between Anderson and UPL/Levi... however, through no fault of his own, that bridge has crumbled.

His GAA/Sv% are nearly identical to UPL, he just hasn't had the same run support.    That's not on him.

He has nothing to be pissed about.  The team comes first.   His opportunities will come, and he has to stay ready.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

To the extent that you're addressing me (which I don't think is all of your post):

They don't have to keep him next year.  They can trade him.  Whether he's a capable backup, or even starter, is what they need to learn.  The sample size isn't big enough right now.

Anderson isn't young enough to play more than once a week, correct.  So the Sabres need to figure out a plan for if/when UPL goes down.  Is that Comrie?  Is he good enough?  Things they need to learn.

If you’re arguing  Comrie needs to be starting once every 3 or 4 games instead of Anderson, I understand the argument.

I think Comrie’s contract and track record mean he is almost guaranteed to start next season as the backup whether he plays a dozen games down the stretch or 3, so I don’t think it matters much, but I get where you are coming from.

It’s anyone arguing that he needs to get starts ahead of UPL right now that I don’t understand.

UPL is auditioning for the starter’s job next year right now and until he drops the ball, it is much more important to see whether he can continue to carry it than see what the other guy can do.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If you’re arguing  Comrie needs to be starting once every 3 or 4 games instead of Anderson, I understand the argument.

I think Comrie’s contract and track record mean he is almost guaranteed to start next season as the backup whether he plays a dozen games down the stretch or 3, so I don’t think it matters much, but I get where you are coming from.

It’s anyone arguing that he needs to get starts ahead of UPL right now that I don’t understand.

UPL is auditioning for the starter’s job next year right now and until he drops the ball, it is much more important to see whether he can continue to carry it than see what the other guy can do.

Your first sentence is my point.  I do not think Comrie should be starting ahead of UPL.  He should be the main backup, though.  The Sabres need to keep Anderson because of stability if Comrie sucks, but that's only because they don't know whether Comrie sucks.  

And if he's actually good or great?  Well then the Sabres have a goalie to deal.  I don't want to see the Sabres make the mistake that Chicago made in the mid-90s.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Nonsense.   No, it isn't.  It's identity for over a decade is unfortunately losing.   

At one time with Hasek, goaltending was the identity.    Maybe with Miller too.  They also had an era with an identity of hard work and fighting too (Ted Nolan, May, Ray, Barnaby, etc).  

If anything, their overall identity is scoring, skill, and skating - Perreault, Martin, Robert, Turgeon, Andreychuck, Housley, LaFontaine, Mogilny, Hawerchuck, plus the Briere/Conolly/Vanek "scary good" era with Miller. 

Skip the Eiche//Reinhart tank era - that was part of the losing era.   

The kids of today are forging another era of high skill, speed, and scoring.  The team's identity now is still forming but it will revolve around speed and skill.   Look at the roster, how can the identity be goaltending when they don't have a clear #1 yet?  

58 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Comrie: .883 Save percentage, 3.67 Gaa. 
UPL: .899 Save percentage, 3.31 GAA. 
Those stats are not “nearly identical, they’re noticeably worse. There’s also the 12-5-1 record for UPL, compared to Comrie’s 4-8. Part of that is due to injuries but it’s hard to not put UPL over him, and Anderson has played the best in the limited games.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sabresparaavida said:

Comrie: .883 Save percentage, 3.67 Gaa. 
UPL: .899 Save percentage, 3.31 GAA. 
Those stats are not “nearly identical, they’re noticeably worse. There’s also the 12-5-1 record for UPL, compared to Comrie’s 4-8. Part of that is due to injuries but it’s hard to not put UPL over him, and Anderson has played the best in the limited games.

You play the hot goalie.  Always.  Numbers aside, UPL has been winning games and making huge saves when needed. 

Timing has not been kind to Comrie so far, but his chances will come.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.