Carrying 3 goalies - Should they keep 3, send UPL down or move someone else?

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

GM Sheevyn spoke with UPL after the Comrie signing and UPL knows the deal this year: it's about playing as much as he can and a 3-goalie setup isn't going to give him the ice time he needs. He's not as good as Anderson and Comrie's the veteran. Plus, we can see UPL still has several things to work on. He's on the right track and had a great hot streak. The thing to watch would be how the team plays in front of Comrie when they aren't missing 2-4 defensemen (and Boushh on one leg). Clague has outperformed Bryson as the #6/7 LHD.

Comrie may be the veteran but he hasn't shown he's any better than UPL.  I could see UPL being sent down but if Comrie falters I think UPL may be called back up.

And to be honest I can't say UPL has shown he's any better than Comrie or Anderson but at the present moment in time the team seems to play better with UPL in goal (based on W-L percentage).

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

team seems to play better with Comrie in goal (based on W-L percentage).

That's a bit unfair comparison.  UPL has mostly played behind at least 5/6 of the intended D group.  Before Comrie got injured, he was playing behind as few as 2 of the starting 6 D and often just 3.  Hard for any goaltender to win consistently in that situation.  I'm reserving judgement until I see Comrie in the same circumstances as UPL.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:
37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

team seems to play better with Comrie UPL in goal (based on W-L percentage).

That's a bit unfair comparison.  UPL has mostly played behind at least 5/6 of the intended D group.  Before Comrie got injured, he was playing behind as few as 2 of the starting 6 D and often just 3.  Hard for any goaltender to win consistently in that situation.  I'm reserving judgement until I see Comrie in the same circumstances as UPL.

It's also a typo; I meant to say UPL.  Looks like you read what I meant anyway. 

You're right; the performance to date is not fair for evaluating Comrie.  I'm just concerned that the team's current momentum could be killed by a goalie switch.  I guess I'll just have to sit on my hands and trust Donny and Kevyn to execute it the right way.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Comrie may be the veteran but he hasn't shown he's any better than UPL.  I could see UPL being sent down but if Comrie falters I think UPL may be called back up.

And to be honest I can't say UPL has shown he's any better than Comrie or Anderson but at the present moment in time the team seems to play better with UPL in goal (based on W-L percentage).

The Muel (and D-health) Factor
I'm not going to do sv% or GAA, but here's the breakdown of each goalie with Samuelsson in the lineup. UPL had a couple great games (Colorado, Vegas); the sample size for Comrie is tiny. UPL can always come back up, but I've got to see the main UFA pickup of the offseason with Samuelsson on the ice. 

Anderson + Muel = 6-2-1
Anderson - Muel = 1-3 (the lone victory vs. CHI in OT; includes 3 losses in the 8-game streak)

Comrie + Muel = 2-1 (the loss vs. FLA)
Comrie - Muel = 2-6 (includes 4 losses in the 8-game L streak; Comrie got TB minus Dahlin, Joker & Muel; Comrie injured in L7 of streak)

UPL + Muel = 9-2-1
UPL - Muel = 0-1 (final loss of 8-game L streak v. TOR)

Goal Support
Everyone's had the offense going including a some blowouts, but Anderson and Comrie got the losing streak and its decreased transition game. UPL has gotten unreal goal support.

EDIT: Caveat, I just used goalie of record and final score, so all ENGs for and against are counted, as is Anderson's +1 shootout goal.

UPL 61/13           = 4.69 g/gm
Anderson 49/13 = 3.77 g/gm
Comrie 39/11      = 3.54 g/gm

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Goal Support
Everyone's had the offense going including a some blowouts, but Anderson and Comrie got the losing streak and its decreased transition game. UPL has gotten unreal goal support.

EDIT: Caveat, I just used goalie of record and final score, so all ENGs for and against are counted, as is Anderson's +1 shootout goal.

UPL 61/13           = 4.69 g/gm
Anderson 49/13 = 3.77 g/gm
Comrie 39/11      = 3.54 g/gm

I think we can also point to Comrie's time as being "early in the season" before the offense was really clicking.

I hope that's the case anyway.

But if those number bear out over the next several games, maybe there is something about Comrie that inhibits the Sabres offense.  For example, I've noticed that UPL is effective in handling the puck- not that he just stops it and sets it up for a skater to come get it, but he's pretty good at passing it to a specific Sabres player versus just putting it up the boards and hoping for the best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think we can also point to Comrie's time as being "early in the season" before the offense was really clicking.

I hope that's the case anyway.

But if those number bear out over the next several games, maybe there is something about Comrie that inhibits the Sabres offense.  For example, I've noticed that UPL is effective in handling the puck- not that he just stops it and sets it up for a skater to come get it, but he's pretty good at passing it to a specific Sabres player versus just putting it up the boards and hoping for the best.

Again it goes back to Comrie's sample size and who's been his defense corps. The team played much more composed in front of Anderson the last couple seasons, and they clearly trusted Ullmark and not Hutton. Too soon to say with UPL or Comrie yet, though they definitely know with UPL that they can (or have to?) go all-out attack all the time.

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Bryson! Bryson! Bryson!

Probably Fitzy to be honest.  If Fitzgerald was going to stay up he'd be playing.

Could be Hinestroza or Asplund too.  I think they will wait to waive a Dman until Joki is ready to return.

Or maybe Comrie starts tomorrow and UPL will be brought back in for Thursday's game.

Edited by Doohickie

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I would be very disappointed if UPL gets sent down. He is winning for this team.

I have zero faith in Comrie at the moment. He hasn’t had one “there it is” game that gives hope (even in Rochester)

I guess you’ll be disappointed then

Edited by Sidc3000

52 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I imagine Fitzgerald or Bryson is waived tomorrow to make room for Him tomorrow 

I think they will keep all the D until what's his name comes back.  Won't want to risk a claim.

Asplund will be waived, IMO.

With UPL *loaned* to Rochester for the night I don't think they can send Anderson to IR due to that pesky *tweaked* somthing or other.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I don’t even believe He leaves Buffalo, probably starts against Seattle tomorrow 

Would expect it as well.

Want to see them have the best lineup they can against the Krackers to finally get that W against them.  1st game might've been overconfidence (which is surprising, concerning where they were at), & the next 2 were at points where the Sabres were struggling.  Play this one straight up & get rid of the ridiculous concerns about the Krackers having the Sabres #.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.