Is Tage Thompson a top 10 NHL player? Is he top 5?

dudacek

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Such a year-to-year thing, isn't it? And a lot of it is determined out of the hype centres that generate so much of the internet chatter.

One of these guys is having easily his 2nd-best statistical season ever, the other easily his best:

47 25/28/53 +20

47 23/30/53 +13

The former will be in almost every conversation about top 5 players in the league.

The latter probably won't be mentioned in many conversations about the top 50.

They are tied for 20th in NHL scoring.

The difference is that Matthews has done this year after year while this is Tuch’s first foray into the top echelon of the NHL. Track record is important.   The more telling stat is that Ovie and Dahlin also have 53 points.  Dahlin is tied for 20th in the NHL in scoring as a D.  Pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The difference is that Matthews has done this year after year while this is Tuch’s first foray into the top echelon of the NHL. Track record is important.   The more telling stat is that Ovie and Dahlin also have 53 points.  Dahlin is tied for 20th in the NHL in scoring as a D.  Pretty impressive.

Was really satisfying to turn the page and see the answers on the other side 

cheers 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

For sure, but hype also plays a role.

Not sure how he's perceived in Buffalo, but in Canada, or certainly Vancouver, Elias Pettersson is perceived as franchise centre and Nico Hischier is thought of as a good but disappointing draft pick.

That's because of how excited Petersson got everyone with 66 points in 71 rookie games, then followed it up with a better points per game sophomore season, while Nico put up a more pedestrian 52 and 47.

Canuck fans wouldn't trade Petterson for 2 Hischiers and would melt down if you suggested they are even close to the same tier.

Yet EP has 277 career points, Hischier has 242. EP plays for one of the league's most dysfunctional teams while Hischier is the captain of this year's breakout franchise.

To me, the biggest difference is that Petterson plays in one of the top 3 hockey-crazed markets in the league and Hischier plays for the what, the 9th most popular team metro New York?

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

Making a top 10 list is kinda funny because a more representative list would be: 

1 McDavid 

-

2 10-15 guys who are all pretty close / comes down to what you want / depends on the season / depends on the week / all have a valid argument...type stuff

I don’t know that there’s enough of a gap between many spaces in the top 10 after McDavid to think it’s at a level to offset the variables like team and line mate strength, etc. To the point of being able to form any kind of definitive list 

It’s certainly a fun discussion though.  but it’s Connor McDavid, and then after a sizeable gap, a bunch of guys who have an argument for 2nd.

I agree 100%

I think when you talk about 'top 10'...include D-men and goalies in there also, I I thinkthere might be 30 guys that a case can be made for as being that 'last guy' on the top 10 list.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.