Other teams and players see Buffalo coming...

matter2003

17 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Best case scenario... they stay completely healthy, especially on the back-end, and goaltending steps up, they could be in the wildcard mix at the end of the season.

But if one of Thompson, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Tuch, Cozens, etc.. go down... there just isn't enough depth there yet to fill those voids.

If Pit loses Crosby how's that going to workout for them?  It seems pretty clear to me as soon as we started getting a save % above .900 on a regular basis we become a 100-point pace team.  Believe it or not, we're in a playoff race right now.  If we win the next four games (all at home) we'll have sole possession of a playoff spot at the end of the 4th game.  

23 hours ago, inkman said:

But in the end it means little until they win in the post season.  I don’t want to hear opposing players heaping praise after a game in January.  I want to see them scrambling for answers down 3-1 to the Sabres in ECF. 

I'm willing to follow the process.  ECF might be a stretch this year (maybe not, who knows).  But just like the the expression "you have to win with the team you've got" I'd say "you have to enjoy the wins you're getting now" and not look too far ahead.

19 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's encouraging to finally see some progress. 

You don't think there's been steady progress for the last two years?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, onthewarpath said:

If Pit loses Crosby how's that going to workout for them?  It seems pretty clear to me as soon as we started getting a save % above .900 on a regular basis we become a 100-point pace team.  Believe it or not, we're in a playoff race right now.  If we win the next four games (all at home) we'll have sole possession of a playoff spot at the end of the 4th game.  

Let's be real... we're 6 points out of wildcard sport, in January.    Sure t's a nice improvement from years past, but we're not in a playoff race.

Let's not kid ourselves, this team is young and as the calendar turns from Januaray to February and March, veteran teams will step up their games.    At that same time I fully expect Buffalo to slow down a bit as the kids slowly run out of gas... and that's OK... they're on the right track to compete for a wildcard spot next season.

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Let's be real... we're 6 points out of wildcard sport, in January.    Sure t's a nice improvement from years past, but we're not in a playoff race.

This is a terrible take when we have 4 games in hand over the team 6 points ahead of us, and 2 games in hand over the team 4 points ahead of us, a team by the way, that is on a 3-game losing streak.

You talk about the team's inevitable fade as if you didn't watch the last two months of last season.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

This is a terrible take when we have 4 games in hand over the team 6 points ahead of us, and 2 games in hand over the team 4 points ahead of us, a team by the way, that is on a 3-game losing streak.

You talk about the team's inevitable fade as if you didn't watch the last two months of last season.

Young group, lacks depth, playing a condensed schedule the last half of the season...  yeah, I don't expect much. 

"There's an old saying in Tennessee... "

25 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Young group, lacks depth, playing a condensed schedule the last half of the season...  yeah, I don't expect much. 

They also are the highest scoring team in the NHL even with some teams having 5 games in hand.

What's the saying? "Drink whiskey out of boots"?

Edited by matter2003

37 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Am I supposed to know what this means?

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah but we talk about Cozens here, not cousins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

41 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Am I supposed to know what this means?

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They also are the highest scoring team in the NHL even with some teams having 5 games in hand.

23 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah but we talk about Cozens here, not cousins.

😎

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Let's not kid ourselves, this team is young and as the calendar turns from Januaray to February and March, veteran teams will step up their games.    At that same time I fully expect Buffalo to slow down a bit as the kids slowly run out of gas... and that's OK... they're on the right track to compete for a wildcard spot next season.

why would kids run out of gas? I'll be disappointed if they don't make the  playoffs

Being young and playing loose should mean they exceed expectations. They are still underdogs for most of the fanbases in the league and are just beginning to strike fear into opponents.

At the start of the season most of us hoped for meaningful games in March and that is where they are heading. If they are 6 or 8 points back with no games in hand, then I will worry.

The trade deadline may bring a boost. I hope it is well thought out because I see teams add guys that underperform or don’t fit in every year.

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

wow, why should we bother watching.  I'll take the glass half full approach

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Being young and playing loose should mean they exceed expectations. They are still underdogs for most of the fanbases in the league and are just beginning to strike fear into opponents.

At the start of the season most of us hoped for meaningful games in March and that is where they are heading. If they are 6 or 8 points back with no games in hand, then I will worry.

The trade deadline may bring a boost. I hope it is well thought out because I see teams add guys that underperform or don’t fit in every year.

Add a solid 3/4 RHD and we could be on to something

13 hours ago, onthewarpath said:

Which, oddly enough would happen at the exact moment they're on an NHL 0.600 pace.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.