Other teams and players see Buffalo coming...

matter2003

I was watching the Caps post-game show last evening (because ESPN+ won't show MSG pre- and post game). Craig Laughlin (former player?) specifically made mention of the very positive difference he sees in UPL's game since the last time the Caps faced him. Maybe the plan is all starting to come together??

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I was watching the Caps post-game show last evening (because ESPN+ won't show MSG pre- and post game). Craig Laughlin (former player?) specifically made mention of the very positive difference he sees in UPL's game since the last time the Caps faced him. Maybe the plan is all starting to come together??

Still needs to work on rebound control(see Caps 3rd goal), but his positioning and angles have been night and day from the beginning of the season...you would see him come out to cut off the angles and there would be half the net there to shoot at...almost like he didn't know where he was positioned in relation to where the net was once he got out too much.  Not sure how they have corrected this, but it is very noticeable now...when they show those same angles with the player coming down he is giving up not much of anything net wise...amazing how something as small as that could be making such a huge difference

Edited by matter2003

55 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Still needs to work on rebound control(see Caps 3rd goal), but his positioning and angles have been night and day from the beginning of the season...you would see him come out to cut off the angles and there would be half the net there to shoot at...almost like he didn't know where he was positioned in relation to where the net was once he got out too much.  Not sure how they have corrected this, but it is very noticeable now...when they show those same angles with the player coming down he is giving up not much of anything net wise...amazing how something as small as that could be making such a huge difference

By angles are you referring to the line he is on or his being square to the shooter (and also not allowing himself to become too compact leaving gaps at the pipe & above his shoulders) or more accurately not being square?

If it is the former, would likely disagree although there were a couple of occasions that he was either slow moving across the crease or overshot his line when reacting to a pass across the crease which could look like a poor angle when in fact they were poor crease control/awareness.

If it is the latter, yes, he had severe problems squaring up & staying large.  Those have definitely been cleaned up.  The crease movement issue is still there to a degree, but his teammates are getting better at not allowing that pass across so it isn't nearly the issue it was.  And his teammates trust in his ability to make the 1st save on a straight on shot is part of why they're better at taking away that pass & also clearing rebounds.

I have to give props to Donny.  I was questioning him after the losing streak but seems that was an anomaly.  His knowledge of the game, especially offense and developing young players, is plainly seen now.  We still have a lot of talent in the system.  We could be heading into some really special times again soon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I have to give props to Donny.  I was questioning him after the losing streak but seems that was an anomaly.  His knowledge of the game, especially offense and developing young players, is plainly seen now.  We still have a lot of talent in the system.  We could be heading into some really special times again soon. 

There is no question that Buffalo is an emerging team that is being recognized by other organizations. But what makes Buffalo different from most teams moving up the ladder of rankings is that Buffalo is also one of the most entertaining teams to watch. Compared to a few years ago when I felt there was no entertainment value to watching them, I now want to watch this team. I now feel somewhat disappointed when their next game is too far off. They are simply enjoyable to follow. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Nobody gloms onto meaningless faint praise like Buffalo fans.  I’m having fun watching this team.  I have no need to validate my opinion based on what hockey players say in post game generalizations. 

Not faint praise and when you are the youngest team in hockey and also the highest scoring team in hockey even with some teams having 5 games in hand currently, it isn't undeserved.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Not faint praise and when you are the youngest team in hockey and also the highest scoring team in hockey even with some teams having 5 games in hand currently, it isn't undeserved.

But in the end it means little until they win in the post season.  I don’t want to hear opposing players heaping praise after a game in January.  I want to see them scrambling for answers down 3-1 to the Sabres in ECF. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

But in the end it means little until they win in the post season.  I don’t want to hear opposing players heaping praise after a game in January.  I want to see them scrambling for answers down 3-1 to the Sabres in ECF. 

That time is coming. Maybe not this year, but next year it would be shocking if they aren't comfortably in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Better yet ... the SCF.

• Like (+1) 2

It's encouraging to finally see some progress. 

That said they're still a ways off from playoff contention IMO.   

They need to continue building and developing depth from within.    

Best case scenario... they stay completely healthy, especially on the back-end, and goaltending steps up, they could be in the wildcard mix at the end of the season.

But if one of Thompson, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Tuch, Cozens, etc.. go down... there just isn't enough depth there yet to fill those voids.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.