GDT - Sabres @ Capitals - January 3, 2023 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Most likely no one is in the mood for this one.

This game appears to be still on schedule.  I think it should be postponed out of respect.

My heart is not in it ...

You are a good man but I disagree. The young man is still with us. And I have a feeling today's going to be a good day on all fronts.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Most likely no one is in the mood for this one.

This game appears to be still on schedule.  I think it should be postponed out of respect.

My heart is not in it ...

Disagree.  This an extremely important game tonight.

The Caps come in hotter than the Sabres, being carried by the greatest goal scorer in history sans his partner in crime, Nick Backstrom, who does, in fact, have a chance to play his first game of the season tonight after off season hip surgery and recent Covid protocol. Let's hope he needs one more tune-up practice.

The Caps get solid goaltending no matter who is in net. Kuemper and Lindgren, while neither will compete with Ullmark for the Vezina, have a legitimate bid for the Jennings though the Bruins tandem may well lock that down too.

I highly doubt the Caps will match OV against Tage's line, which gives Don the ability to put Cozens out against OV's line. Will Cozens be with the kids again, or will they keep the 3rd period switch from last game with Jost?  UPL will no doubt have some heavy OV one timers to handle no matter who matches against OV.

It falls to the Sabres to once again lift the city during a tough time.  The will bring it I am sure.  Will it be enough?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am numb.  I had an uneasy feeling about that football game all week.   More than the usual jitters.  

If they play tonight I’ll watch, but I am spent.  The people in Buffalo/WNY must be too.  

We're all running on will.  There was brutal house fire two days ago.  5 kids.  Buffalo has been beaten and bullied by everything this past year.  We need these teams in the playoffs making us proud.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

As heavy as my heart is for Damar, i will watch and hope for some inspire and uplifting play. Hope the boys in blue play with a heavy Buffalo heart and shut Ovie down!

One Buffalo.  Dahlin and Sammy have a big job...as always.  This Sabre team will show big time.  

2 hours ago, onthewarpath said:

The Caps come in hotter than the Sabres, being carried by the greatest goal scorer in history sans his partner in crime, Nick Backstrom, who does, in fact, have a chance to play his first game of the season tonight after off season hip surgery and recent Covid protocol. Let's hope he needs one more tune-up practice.

The Caps get solid goaltending no matter who is in net. Kuemper and Lindgren, while neither will compete with Ullmark for the Vezina, have a legitimate bid for the Jennings though the Bruins tandem may well lock that down too.

I highly doubt the Caps will match OV against Tage's line, which gives Don the ability to put Cozens out against OV's line. Will Cozens be with the kids again, or will they keep the 3rd period switch from last game with Jost?  UPL will no doubt have some heavy OV one timers to handle no matter who matches against OV.

It falls to the Sabres to once again lift the city during a tough time.  The will bring it I am sure.  Will it be enough?

Expect Granato to keep the same starting lines/pairs as he's run with the past few games.  If things aren't working, he'll make adjustments in the 3rd.

Fully expect the Caps will be fine with having Ovechkin's line out against any of the Sabres lines.  You're probably right that Cozens line will get the brunt of it.  Will be a very stiff test for the kids.

Looking forward to it in any case.  As Badger Bob used to say "it's a great day for hockey."

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

How can buffalo  Even think about playing this game matter of fact any sports team.

There should be no sports played today at all

I don't get this take at all.  Do you think the NFL would consider delaying a game for a second if a hockey player were injured?  Oh wait, we've seen hockey players damn near killed on the ice, and the NFL has never mentioned it.  The NHL is playing tonight, and the Buffalo Sabres should and will be part of it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, onthewarpath said:

I don't get this take at all.  Do you think the NFL would consider delaying a game for a second if a hockey player were injured?  Oh wait, we've seen hockey players damn near killed on the ice, and the NFL has never mentioned it.  The NHL is playing tonight, and the Buffalo Sabres should and will be part of it.

Sports is the last thing that should be on peoples minds those sabre players are humans also and have lots of friends on that bills team 

No one here should care if the Sabres  Forfeit to be with their love ones 

• Disagree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Don’t think postponing this game should be something of consideration at all, sports help through tough times and the case will be the same even when it’s sports that are causing the tough times. 

The city could use this in my opinion, my only wish would be that the game be at home. I’d like to be there for this one and feel the weight and relief of a moment of silence from the crowd in unity. 

Go Sabres, give us a positive distraction for a few hours tonight 🙏 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, onthewarpath said:

While I know the Bruins are one of the top teams in the NHL this season, I had not followed them very closely.  After seeing this post, I looked up Ullmark's numbers and was shocked at how impressive of a season he is having.  While I can understand the Sabres making the decision that they did (not offering Ullmark top dollar and term, given his injury history and the developmental stature of the team), imagine where this year's Sabres team might be if they had retained Ullmark.

It's kinda hard to get excited about this game in light of the situation with Hamlin.  I suspect many if not most of the the guys on the team feel the same way, so I don't expect too much from them tonight.  I hope I'm wrong about that but I just don't care that much.  What I really hope is that we get some good news about Damar.

God bless Damar and his family.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

While I know the Bruins are one of the top teams in the NHL this season, I had not followed them very closely.  After seeing this post, I looked up Ullmark's numbers and was shocked at how impressive of a season he is having.  While I can understand the Sabres making the decision that they did (not offering Ullmark top dollar and term, given his injury history and the developmental stature of the team), imagine where this year's Sabres team might be if they had retained Ullmark.

Sure, the team would be better with Ullmark.   I seriously doubt that Ullmark's individual numbers would be as good and that he would be a Vezina candidate.  He would have been playing behind the same injury riddled defense and the same youthful lineup that Comrie and Andy have had to work with.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I find it odd that some of the people here who critique me for being stuck in the 80s and wanting too much violence in hockey (their claims) watch football but that's for them to figure out. Some of us hockey fans don't watch football any more, and while this player's injury is a tragic event, the world doesn't stop for football. Should the Sabres forfeit and not play every time a person in Buffalo gets seriously injured or dies? The idea is simply absurd.  Having said that, hope the guy pulls through even though I have absolutely no idea who he is. I stopped watching football years ago. 

Now as for hockey, big test for the Sabres. Washington plays a style they will not like. Speed and more speed and don't get intimidated or it'll be a hard fall back down to earth. 

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.