Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Watched the Pronger video briefly. Wasn't sure if or when he got CPR.

Seems like an NHL player fairly recently had to get CPR on the bench.

Red Wings.  I don’t remember the player involved either.

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated. I just assumed, based on earlier reports that he was unable to breathe on his own, that the intubation included a respirator. Chalk it up to my naïveté that it might be just be an oxygen tube only. Thanks again. 

Effectively the same thing tube is connected to a pump that controls amount or air into lungs... O2 levels are monitored and flow can be adjusted accordingly.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Question for the pros. With blood flow stopped (or inadequate in the case of vfib), if CPR started almost immediately and he got defibrillated quickly, why wouldn't we expect a full recovery?

Are the cardiac arrest mentions in the media necessarily accurate?

Today is brush up on CPR day.

Its always a crap shoot and these types of things... if he has no underlying undiagnosed condition and he is young... see Chris Pronger situation... Yes cardiac arrest means his heart stopped for whatever reason... in this case probably hit to chest and timing of it during heart cycle.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

If people want to believe that the league heartlessly wanted to force the teams to play before the two coaches heroically saved the day, I can't stop them.

I think the league is fine with being the villain if they can make two people out to be heroes. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Question for the pros. With blood flow stopped (or inadequate in the case of vfib), if CPR started almost immediately and he got defibrillated quickly, why wouldn't we expect a full recovery?

Are the cardiac arrest mentions in the media necessarily accurate?

Today is brush up on CPR day.

CPR even when done 100% correctly is only 50-55% effective as the heart pumping on its own. 

If He was in asystole the AED would be ineffective as that’s not a shockable rhythm, that requires IV Meds.

He is probably in hypothermic protocol under sedation and on a vent

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Its always a crap shoot and these types of things... if he has no underlying undiagnosed condition and he is young... see Chris Pronger situation... Yes cardiac arrest means his heart stopped for whatever reason... in this case probably hit to chest and timing of it during heart cycle.

TIL if the heart is fluttering or quivering or fibrillating it's still cardiac arrest. Blood is not flowing.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have any of the Sabres talked or Tweeted about Damar?  This is not a criticism but a honest question.  I’ve seen the Sabres Tweet. WGR has been reposting relevant Tweets but haven’t seen one from a Sabre. 

Bunch of stuff from various Sabres on personal Instagram accounts according to multiple reports. 

@Wyldnwoody44 @Brawndo @North Buffalo

Danke for all the info on this in layman's terms & without random speculation.  (That last part doesn't read as it should, it really is meant as a comliment on all your professionalism, but words still aren't quite coming out right.  Apologies for that.)  Your insights have been helpful in this very upsetting time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

CPR even when done 100% correctly is only 50-55% effective as the heart pumping on its own. 

If He was in asystole the AED would be ineffective as that’s not a shockable rhythm, that requires IV Meds.

He is probably in hypothermic protocol under sedation and on a vent

Bills statement says heartbeat was restored on the field, so that seems to rule out complete flatline asystole no? Presumably the AED restored it.

All speculation from folks like Dr. Gupta is that he went into vfib.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So if his pulse returned to a sinus rhythm on its own then that is great news. Once intubated and put on a vent, the machine can actually trigger when a patient is taking their own breaths and there are many settings that can be adjusted to help with resp support instead of full on breaths. But for the hypothermia protocol and comfort the patient will stay sedated and on the vent for probably 48 hours. 

This is very highly likely a Vfib arrest with the timing of the hit being in the microsecond that it needed to cause this. Vfib has a poor prognosis in general. The fact that they got the AED and CPR going so fast may be the only saving grace. 

The main issue with Vfib is that anoxia occurs immediately and each minute that goes by is crucial in the outcome, so idk how fast they recognized it and started ACLS protocol on the field. 

I suspect that Hamlin will have a defibrillator placed at some point, the Vfib arrest mortality rate is still over 50% so we're not out of the woods, I am hoping he pulls through. 

Still just so absolutley crazy to think this all happened. 

Thanks for your insight as well. Very much appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Toy Drive up to 2.5 Million and counting 100K people have donated.

Up to almost $4 million

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:
10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Somebody definitely did, because right after that, the broadcast showed Burrow starting to warm up and throw a football around. 

Always a lot of confusion when stuff like this goes down.. probably going off normal op but this was anything but normal.

Or maybe he was upset and nervous and spending that nervous energy.

Rich Peverley of the Dallas Stars.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/14970957/nhl-night-life-changed-forever-dallas-stars-rich-peverley

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Nah, something happened before that. McDermott and Taylor were speaking about it before the ref got involved. 

I think so too.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If people want to believe that the league heartlessly wanted to force the teams to play before the two coaches heroically saved the day, I can't stop them.

After the coaches talked, not before.  It takes the league time to make that decision, and that's ok, even if for no other reason than it keeps the streets clear for emergency vehicles and gives traffic control time to get into position.

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Bills statement says heartbeat was restored on the field, so that seems to rule out complete flatline asystole no? Presumably the AED restored it.

All speculation from folks like Dr. Gupta is that he went into vfib.

Yes, this is nearly 100% Vfib from impact. Even his presentation of standing up and collapsing fits the picture of Vfib arrest. 

With Vfib, the heart is pumping as close to 0% as possible without being asystole. An AED senses this and delivers a defibrillation which is the #1 thing along with CPR. It appears as if everything was handled exactly as it should have been mecially on the scene. 

The good news is that mortality of Vfib from trauma is lower than mortality from a Vfib arrest with a patient with previous cardiac issues (being 24,hopefully means he had none that we know of) 

The hypothermia will protect any further cardiac tissue damage and the will lost likely wean him off the vent tonight/tomorrow. 

My fingers are crossed that the immediate interventions did what they should do and Damar will come through with only a couple of broken ribs from the CPR and a new shiny implantable defibrillator. 

I don't mind giving my medical thoughts on this, I live for this stuff, as corny as that sounds. I also don't want to wildly speculate on the health of a stranger, but at least come at it with some grounded medical basis 😊

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yes, this is nearly 100% Vfib from impact. Even his presentation of standing up and collapsing fits the picture of Vfib arrest. 

With Vfib, the heart is pumping as close to 0% as possible without being asystole. An AED senses this and delivers a defibrillation which is the #1 thing along with CPR. It appears as if everything was handled exactly as it should have been mecially on the scene. 

The good news is that mortality of Vfib from trauma is lower than mortality from a Vfib arrest with a patient with previous cardiac issues (being 24,hopefully means he had none that we know of) 

The hypothermia will protect any further cardiac tissue damage and the will lost likely wean him off the vent tonight/tomorrow. 

My fingers are crossed that the immediate interventions did what they should do and Damar will come through with only a couple of broken ribs from the CPR and a new shiny implantable defibrillator. 

I don't mind giving my medical thoughts on this, I live for this stuff, as corny as that sounds. I also don't want to wildly speculate on the health of a stranger, but at least come at it with some grounded medical basis 😊

Interesting. Why the defibrillator?

Jay Boumeester required a defibrillator on the bench a few years ago.  He eventually decided to retire as a result of the underlying condition.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.