Will the Winter Classic ever return to Buffalo?

Billssabres33

Buffalo seemed to be the only team/city to take a chance on this in 2008…I know that every team is bidding on this every year.  Boston for some reason has been allowed to host it twice already.  Maybe by the time the new stadium is built we can get back on the schedule?  I’d love to see the Ralph get it one more time before it goes away

30 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What do you mean?  Why, didn't you realize the Sabres have hosted TWO Winter Classics & one Heritage Classic?

They just move them all to the Buffalo suburbs.  The 1st one to Orchard Park, the second to a slightly more remote suburb the Bronx, and the last one not quite as remote in Hamilton.

The next one Buffalo hosts will probably be in a slightly more remote suburb, Philadelphia.

Right?!  Most people I know in Philly jokingly say “isn’t Buffalo a part of Canada?”  I can’t wait until we start winning some things…not gonna rub it in anyone’s face but these types of comments will sting a little less

• Like (+1) 1

The game with the snow blowing was certainly more winter like and thus very enjoyable. I don't think the league likes them as much though. Seattle could be a weird one and might get rained out. 

I think Buffalo and Toronto should play an alternating outdoor game every year. I want that rivalry back more than any other. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

The game with the snow blowing was certainly more winter like and thus very enjoyable. I don't think the league likes them as much though. Seattle could be a weird one and might get rained out. 

I think Buffalo and Toronto should play an alternating outdoor game every year. I want that rivalry back more than any other. 

Will actively root for next year's "Winter" Classic getting rained out.  Until they give the Sabres an ACTUAL home game in one (or better yet, as somebody suggested above, giving the Sabres a road game in Erie County) hope every one of them is a blow out & the weather totally doesn't cooperate.

Especially w/ the 2 teams that haven't waited even a moment to get into one.  The Krackers can blank themselves.

Like the idea of Buffalo TO being in the rotation.  (Provided we actually get to truly host some; not just get a home game stolen.)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

The Winter classic in Buffalo was far and away the best one ever. Far and away. Perfect weather. Snow. Packed stadium. 

They should bring it back. 

It was so much fun.

I just retired the (then) new parka that I had received as a Christmas gift specifically for that game.  It lasted 15 years.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I was at the 2008 winter classic. It was very cool. Good experience overall.

Obviously it’s such a money maker for the league to have these every year. I personally think it’s bloated and overdone. Lost its “charm”. Like Lalapalooza and Warped Tour. 

Same here. Remember the obstructed view tix (bottom 10 rows) were just $10? I spent the game wandering the stadium. You'll never see those prices again.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:32 PM, Billssabres33 said:

Most people I know in Philly jokingly say “isn’t Buffalo a part of Canada?”

As a Buffalo expat, in many ways the answer to that question is yes, actually.

Diplomatically Buffalo is a part of the U.S., but in many ways it's more Canadian in nature than American.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:53 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Hell, do it in Hamilton every year.  One year call it a TO home game, next year Bflo home game.  It would be like the college football OU-UT "Red River Shootout" held annually in Dallas/Arlington, which is about midway between Austin and Norman.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Hell, do it in Hamilton every year.  One year call it a TO home game, next year Bflo home game.  It would be like the college football OU-UT "Red River Shootout" held annually in Dallas/Arlington, which is about midway between Austin and Norman.

That would still be a Toronto home game every year.  F that.

• Agree 1

On 1/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, Zamboni said:

I was at the 2008 winter classic. It was very cool. Good experience overall.

Obviously it’s such a money maker for the league to have these every year. I personally think it’s bloated and overdone. Lost its “charm”. Like Lalapalooza and Warped Tour. 

Went to the one at City Field... from a fan stand point it was awesome... not sure if it could be done at Pilot Field but think it would be pretty cool there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.