Are the Sabres a "big" team, now?

erickompositör72

Relentless is harder to play against than heavy. I want a relentless team first.

Pressure their D with the forecheck (top line & kid line). Attack the net (Skinner, TNT, Okposo). Generate offense with speed (the whole dang team). Transition from defense to offense (Dahlin & Power). Push the pace and make the opponent chase the puck (coaching). 

Sandpaper can be acquired as this team develops (Tampa acquired Maroon, Nick Paul, Goodrow, etc).  And sandpaper can also develop (Krebs as the example tonight).

Stand up for yourself and your teammate. That’s a learned behavior with culture. The Sabres have culture. 

The Sabres are not a finesse team. If anything, they’re just young.
While I would love for the team to finish checks more often, they’re loaded with offensive talent. And they’re being coached to out-skate and not outhit. It is working. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already:

6'6" - Tage Thompson

6'6" - Owen Power

[6'5" - UPL]

6'4" - Alex Tuch

6'4" - Mattias Samuelsson

6'3" - Rasmus Dahlin

6'3" - Dylan Cozens

Girgensons, Mittelstadt, Quinn, Lyubushkin all 6'1" or taller

Seems to me height (and girth?) hurts the most on D. I'm sure there are/were examples of 5' 9" D-men who are good, but Bryson doesn't seem to be one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The Sabres are not a finesse team. If anything, they’re just young.
While I would love for the team to finish checks more often, they’re loaded with offensive talent. And they’re being coached to out-skate and not outhit. It is working. 

The youth is working and the speed is beautiful. It's working and they're forcing turnovers on the forecheck.

I also want to see a few more checks thrown simply because they'll need to condition themselves for the checking in the playoffs. It's better to stay healthy for now, but when they're in that final push, they'll need it, because the East is going to be a battle down to the wire this season. Finishing checks, being finished by checks, taking the hit to make the right pass, forcing and avoiding turnovers. When the opponent knows you're going to pull up and just stick check, they don't have to worry and can make the play. If you pop them, even once, they have to consider that you will hit them the next time. Could you imagine Mitts just crunching a d-man on his first shift of the game -- and what it would do for the tone, the team, and for him?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.