Memba when we were good last year?

Doohickie

Memba?

I mean the way the Sabres played at the end of the season last year was fantastic.  Playoff pace.  The only problem was they'd dug too deep of a hole for it to matter.

They dug a hole again this year, but this year they found themselves much earlier in the season.  The early injuries on D set them back but as they've gotten healthy they really are back to where they were late last season, and much earlier.  If they keep this up, the playoffs are clearly attainable.  They are currently 4 points out of the last WC spot with 3 games in hand.  Win those three games and they are in the playoff mix.

Looking at the January schedule I can see them getting 24 points for the month.

The biggest unknown is seeing how they play with playoffs on the line.  Last year they were playing for pride, now it's for playoff position.  It's a different kind of pressure so it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The losing streak was unfortunate but it might actually help us in a bizzare way.  It forced us to play down to the 9th defenseman on the depth chart.  The 9 guy (Clague)  has passed 8 (Pilut), and 7 (Fitz), and he might pass 6 (Bryson) once Joker gets back.    Any way to get better performance we will take.  

If no trades are made and we stay in it we could be Buyer's at the deadline, looking for defense help.  

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The losing streak was unfortunate but it might actually help us in a bizzare way.  It forced us to play down to the 9th defenseman on the depth chart.  The 9 guy (Clague)  has passed 8 (Pilut), and 7 (Fitz), and he might pass 6 (Bryson) once Joker gets back.    Any way to get better performance we will take.  

If no trades are made and we stay in it we could be Buyer's at the deadline, looking for defense help.  

I agree, but I also think that having to go that deep into the depths of the depth on D gave some of these players valuable experience playing in Granato's system.  What they weren't ready for in November, they were prepared for this month.  I think all of the defensive depth is playing at least a little better than they originally did.  And Clague might actually be, as you said, at least our 7D.

deep into the depths of the depth on D

Ice Hockey GIF

Ice Hockey GIF

Ice Hockey GIF

deep into the depths of the depth on D!!!!

Very good, class.  You are dismissed.  😄

• Thanks (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Memba?

I mean the way the Sabres played at the end of the season last year was fantastic.  Playoff pace.  The only problem was they'd dug too deep of a hole for it to matter.

They dug a hole again this year, but this year they found themselves much earlier in the season.  The early injuries on D set them back but as they've gotten healthy they really are back to where they were late last season, and much earlier.  If they keep this up, the playoffs are clearly attainable.  They are currently 4 points out of the last WC spot with 3 games in hand.  Win those three games and they are in the playoff mix.

Looking at the January schedule I can see them getting 24 points for the month.

The biggest unknown is seeing how they play with playoffs on the line.  Last year they were playing for pride, now it's for playoff position.  It's a different kind of pressure so it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

We are still playing at that level, even a little higher. Just a little 8-game hiccup in November.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I've really like Clague for the most part...he is solid.

Have also really liked how the Sabres have seemingly figured out how to play with proper position defensively...teams are have a far harder time getting the high slot chances they were giving up so often earlier in the year...very good at keeping things to the outside and getting good thing up players, getting sticks in passing lanes and backchecking like crazy to pick up the trailers...it's not an accident they have not allowed more than 3 goals in their last 7 games.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This team isn't the same as the one that had the late season wins last year. There are more real and potentially lasting improvements that are now bringing results.

In what ways is it different?  I think it’s pretty close to the same, but I’m legitimately interested in what you think they are doing that’s a lot different..

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

In what ways is it different?  I think it’s pretty close to the same, but I’m legitimately interested in what you think they are doing that’s a lot different..

In the most recent phase the defense is playing much better. Forwards are checking better and they aren't being intimidated. Cozens is a completely different player this year. Passing is better and they are fighting for loose pucks harder. 

Most of all their positional play has improved drastically and the (using the current NHL buzz word of the era) structure is vastly improved. They used to run around so much and sometimes got away with it because of their speed, but now they are actually playing their positions and relying on their team mates to play theirs. It's a huge change going forward in terms of building a real winning team. This would be big thumbs up to Granato and his assistants. 

Last year they were just loosey goosey go and try to score as much as you can. This year they are playing more 2 way hockey. 

27 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

In the most recent phase the defense is playing much better. Forwards are checking better and they aren't being intimidated. Cozens is a completely different player this year. Passing is better and they are fighting for loose pucks harder. 

Most of all their positional play has improved drastically and the (using the current NHL buzz word of the era) structure is vastly improved. They used to run around so much and sometimes got away with it because of their speed, but now they are actually playing their positions and relying on their team mates to play theirs. It's a huge change going forward in terms of building a real winning team. This would be big thumbs up to Granato and his assistants. 

Last year they were just loosey goosey go and try to score as much as you can. This year they are playing more 2 way hockey. 

Yeah, I agree with a lot of this.

Last season I feel that they did come together as a group and show a lot of solidarity and push back.  That has continued and improved this season.

The defensive play consistently has definitely improved.  I think it was already improving towards the end of last season, but it wasn’t consistent.  It’s really taken a step up in the past ~15 games.  I agree that Granato and staff deserve a lot of credit.  I believe that he is really teaching these guys, improving the details as they progress as a team.

And, yeah, Cozens is a revelation.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.